Poll

Who did you vote for?

Hochul
3 (7.9%)
Zeldin
35 (92.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Do the chasidim plan to vote for Hochul or Zeldin?  (Read 33570 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Do the chasidim plan to vote for Hochul or Zeldin?
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2022, 11:19:36 AM »
Did they actually register to vote or are they making noise?

Some registered. And some are registered from presidential elections or other elections that there was a local push for. Even though they wouldn't usually vote in this kind of election, now they are.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2022, 11:48:20 AM »
Hochul was running away with the race. The fact that it tightened to within 10 points was a big deal. Even if she wins, if the fum vote makes it close enough that she starts sweating, it shows Dems they can no longer take the Chassidish votes for granted.

Overall? This is just a guess, but maybe 1%? It doesn't seem like a lot, but for a complete swing from one party to another I think it is significant. But again, this is just guessing, I don't know about this stuff to know how much impact it is having.
2018 had around 6 million votes cast for governor. 1% of that is 60k, and anyone who switches sides counts as 2. To get 1% you only need 30k people to switch sides, or 35-40k if you assume turnout will increase to 7-8 million.

I can't find much data, but in 2020 New Square had just over 3k votes If we assume they were all going to vote for Hochul and now they switch to Zeldin, that would change the results by .1%. While that's not enough to make much of a difference, they are only a small percentage of the Chassidish population in NYS.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2022, 12:05:53 PM »
2018 had around 6 million votes cast for governor. 1% of that is 60k, and anyone who switches sides counts as 2. To get 1% you only need 30k people to switch sides, or 35-40k if you assume turnout will increase to 7-8 million.

I can't find much data, but in 2020 New Square had just over 3k votes If we assume they were all going to vote for Hochul and now they switch to Zeldin, that would change the results by .1%. While that's not enough to make much of a difference, they are only a small percentage of the Chassidish population in NYS.
Don't count just Chassidish, count all frum Jews.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
Don't count just Chassidish, count all frum Jews.

Brooklyn (including Crown Heights, Flatbush, Midwood, Williamsburg, and more), Queens, Five Towns... I could be overestimating, but it really does feel like there is a fire that has been lit.

Not all of it is yeshivas. Hochul was Cuomo's Lt. governor when he instituted the blatantly antisemitic red zone covid rules.

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2022, 12:29:58 PM »
FWIU tons of frum yidden never vote in NY because they feel it doesn't count there.

Are there people that never vote, that are voting this election?

I will be making the effort to return an absentee ballot

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
Both sides sure are putting in a lot of time & effort the last week for such a small percent.

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »
Both sides sure are putting in a lot of time & effort the last week for such a small percent.
what effort did huchol put in? A visit to 1 rebbe? I'm pretty sure the call from Biden was more about congress (or just to keep the old man busy). That's not much compared to Zeldin. Another reason to vote for him.

Online TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2022, 12:47:45 PM »
what effort did huchol put in? A visit to 1 rebbe? I'm pretty sure the call from Biden was more about congress (or just to keep the old man busy). That's not much compared to Zeldin. Another reason to vote for him.
She was making the rounds
https://twitter.com/hasidic_1/status/1586022194806546432
https://twitter.com/hasidic_1/status/1585789533945491456
https://twitter.com/WMSBG/status/1586040355467976705
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 12:55:03 PM by TimT »

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2022, 12:50:05 PM »

She has been visiting way more than one community

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2022, 01:09:41 PM »
Has Zeldin said anything specific about what he would do? Or just that, in theory, he's supportive of the yeshiva community's point of view?

I'm wondering if this is like Trump's repeated claims that he would remove Fauci as NIH director, only to learn that that the NIH was outside the purview of the president's office and he was powerless to fire Fauci.  Hochul has said that NYSED is outside the purview of the governor's office, and that she is powerless to change the regulations.  If this is true, then Zeldin would also be powerless to effect change once he becomes governor.

For those who are going to hear Zeldin, these are the questions I'd ask him:

Hochul has said that the governor doesn't have authority over NYSED.  Do you agree?
What specific steps would you take to change the recently approved NYSED regulations?  We've heard that you respect yeshivas, but not what you would do for them as governor.

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2022, 01:21:58 PM »
Has Zeldin said anything specific about what he would do? Or just that, in theory, he's supportive of the yeshiva community's point of view?

I'm wondering if this is like Trump's repeated claims that he would remove Fauci as NIH director, only to learn that that the NIH was outside the purview of the president's office and he was powerless to fire Fauci.  Hochul has said that NYSED is outside the purview of the governor's office, and that she is powerless to change the regulations.  If this is true, then Zeldin would also be powerless to effect change once he becomes governor.

For those who are going to hear Zeldin, these are the questions I'd ask him:

Hochul has said that the governor doesn't have authority over NYSED.  Do you agree?
What specific steps would you take to change the recently approved NYSED regulations?  We've heard that you respect yeshivas, but not what you would do for them as governor.

Yes, the governor doesn’t have the authority over NYSED. But the governors opinion carries a TON of weight with the little bureaucrats trying to impose their opinions on the yeshivos. If they get called out publicly by the highest elected official in the state it will definitely have an impact.

And yes, Zeldin has been very outspoken, see video in the link below.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/featured/2133677/powerful-endorsement-zeldin-receives-powerful-backing-of-fjcc-massive-orthodox-jewish-voting-block-in-flatbush.html

Online Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2022, 01:29:17 PM »

I think 2018 was an anti trump year so numbers could have been elevated that year. Plus nys lost residents ( frum as well)  over Covid….

Online TimT

• View Profile

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2022, 01:45:34 PM »
Yes, the governor doesn’t have the authority over NYSED. But the governors opinion carries a TON of weight with the little bureaucrats trying to impose their opinions on the yeshivos. If they get called out publicly by the highest elected official in the state it will definitely have an impact.
That's all you've got?  He hasn't said anything other than that he'll say something?

And yes, Zeldin has been very outspoken, see video in the link below.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/featured/2133677/powerful-endorsement-zeldin-receives-powerful-backing-of-fjcc-massive-orthodox-jewish-voting-block-in-flatbush.html
I don't have time to watch video, but you've seen it, so can you enumerate here 1,2,3.. what are the things he said he'll do?

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »
...with the little bureaucrats trying to impose their opinions on the yeshivos.
How many states don't have some basic requirements they impose on all schools in their state?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline savvydigz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2022, 01:52:28 PM »
How many states don't have some basic requirements they impose on all schools in their state?
We're not talking about basic requirements, if you've seen the bill they've passed

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2022, 02:12:13 PM »
That's all you've got? 

I think it’s very significant to have the highest elected official in the state government going to bat for you.

I don't have time to watch video, but you've seen it, so can you enumerate here 1,2,3.. what are the things he said he'll do?

Watch the video. It took you more time to type the message than the two minutes to watch the video.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »
I think it’s very significant to have the highest elected official in the state government going to bat for you.

Watch the video. It took you more time to type the message than the two minutes to watch the video.
He says he'll
1. Tell the rest of the story
2. Fight alongside you
3. Do everything in my power to earn the title of being the greatest .... (can't make out what he says) of yeshiva education

IOW, he'll talk the talk, but not necessarily have it in his power to do anything practical about the matter. 

He says he's "opposed to the substantial equivalency push", but substantial equivalency is in the NYS constitution, which he'll be required to swear to uphold if he's elected governor. 

Someone should just ask him what he envisions he'll be able to accomplish and how.  Simple question.

Offline Baglach

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2022, 03:46:28 PM »
He says he'll
1. Tell the rest of the story
2. Fight alongside you
3. Do everything in my power to earn the title of being the greatest .... (can't make out what he says) of yeshiva education

IOW, he'll talk the talk, but not necessarily have it in his power to do anything practical about the matter. 

He says he's "opposed to the substantial equivalency push", but substantial equivalency is in the NYS constitution, which he'll be required to swear to uphold if he's elected governor. 

Someone should just ask him what he envisions he'll be able to accomplish and how.  Simple question.

Seems like people have forgotten what NY went through under Cuomo/Hochul in 2020 for that alone she deserves to go.

Offline Baglach

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2022, 03:49:28 PM »
Did they actually register to vote or are they making noise?
I know many people who registered for this upcoming election. Shame that there wasn't a bigger push for it few weeks ago.