Poll

Who did you vote for?

Hochul
3 (7.9%)
Zeldin
35 (92.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Do the chasidim plan to vote for Hochul or Zeldin?  (Read 34551 times)

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do the chasidim plan to vote for Hochul or Zeldin?
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2022, 08:30:56 PM »
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2022, 08:33:39 PM »
Meh.
The litvak and MO crowd didn't write to Albany to save Satmar or Chabad schools. They wrote to save their own schools from state regulation.
With all due respect this is factually incorrect. The litvishe Roshei Yeshiva decided from the get go they will stand with the chassidim no matter what. I have more details to share on this from reliable sources but this is probably not the place to post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2022, 08:36:02 PM »
With all due respect this is factually incorrect. The litvishe Roshei Yeshiva decided from the get go they will stand with the chassidim no matter what. I have more details to share on this from reliable sources but this is probably not the place to post.
Oh, I'm sure that was said and it's a nice sentiment indeed. But that doesn't mean this was some altruistic campaign and Satmar is being kafui tov here.

Everyone is aware of the they will come for me next principal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2022, 08:38:22 PM »
Oh, I'm sure that was said and it's a nice sentiment indeed. But that doesn't mean this was some altruistic campaign and Satmar is being kafui tov here.

Everyone is aware of the they will come for me next principal.
It was more than just said . . . very strong actions were taken behind the scenes years ago before this all blew up.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2022, 08:50:35 PM »
I assume you mean from an outside perspective. Of course it’s well within their right.

From the perspective of their co religionists, who have been standing shoulder to shoulder to voice support for the candidate who gives full throated support for our education, it is most disconcerting. Especially when their co religionists are vehemently defending all Jewish education systems, even the more chassidesha ones that they don’t necessarily agree with.

If this issue isn’t important enough to unite for I can’t imagine what is.

And from their view, they've been standing shoulder to shoulder fighting, and now everyone is spitting in the face of an almost sure winner to support a guy who had talked a big game but yet to say even one concrete thing he'd do to change things.

When things really come to a head next term, we'll be stuck with a governor who is bitter towards their very own coreligionists!

I get the frustration, as someone voting for Zeldin, I wish they'd join too. But I totally get why they'd support Hochul. I wonder if this case was made to them by other groups. Did all those who endorsed Zeldin contact the Hochul endorsers to ask for a united front similar to the Yeshivah fight? I don't know, but somehow I doubt it.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2022, 09:08:09 PM »
Meh.
The litvak and MO crowd didn't write to Albany to save Satmar or Chabad schools. They wrote to save their own schools from state regulation.
I disagree. The litvishe are fighting for Torah and to keep the government out of the chinuch of all jewish children. Without evidence you are accusing them of only looking out for themselves and not for all of klal yisroel.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2022, 09:13:28 PM »
This is a perfectly valid reason to vote for her

Endorsing the winner ensures good pictures and perhaps an open door too, but the candidates won't go out of their way to help you in tougher situations knowing that when they'll need you most - when they'll be lagging in the polls - they can't count on your vote because you'll support the front runner at the time. The approach of the longtime veteran askanim was never to endorse the frontrunner but rather to support those who were there for us at the most difficult of times, and they knew that they could count on our vote.

I alluded to that here as well.
Ah, voting for Adams vs Yang doctrine.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2022, 09:17:50 PM »
you are being too nice considering the later poost.

This forum is amazing. I've seen vast amounts of goodness, and then every once in a while I read something that I'm absolutely gobsmacked to see coming out of the mouth of a frum person.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2022, 09:36:07 PM »
I disagree. The litvishe are fighting for Torah and to keep the government out of the chinuch of all jewish children. Without evidence you are accusing them of only looking out for themselves and not for all of klal yisroel.
No, I'm saying they're looking out for everyone (including themselves), not just chasidim.
So saying Satmar is being kafui tov is not the case.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2022, 09:39:39 PM »
Crazy how those with a solid English curriculum vote Republican in order keep the state out of the Chassidishe Mosdos, when the chasidim themselves allow themseleves the liberty to vote for Democrats.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2022, 09:43:07 PM »
Endorsing the winner ensures good pictures and perhaps an open door too, but the candidates won't go out of their way to help you in tougher situations knowing that when they'll need you most - when they'll be lagging in the polls - they can't count on your vote because you'll support the front runner at the time. The approach of the longtime veteran askanim was never to endorse the frontrunner but rather to support those who were there for us at the most difficult of times, and they knew that they could count on our vote.

I alluded to that here as well.

I'm related to an askan type who takes lots of heat locally for "only caring about photo ops", but helps many, many people when they need him with the connections he's made. I've been in his house and listened to politicians speaking and they 100% know exactly how many votes they got and where they got them. I've heard them explicitly say they ain't helping someone because they weren't there for them in the election. These are Dems in Crown Heights, their seats are as safe as a Spirit travel credit in Dan's house.

Anyway, even he is supporting Zeldin, but all behind the scenes. He isn't jeopardizing his connections with local Dems by publicly endorsing. And people are mad at him for that too.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2022, 10:58:59 PM »
Crazy how those with a solid English curriculum vote Republican in order keep the state out of the Chassidishe Mosdos, when the chasidim themselves allow themseleves the liberty to vote for Democrats.

"Funny how those with more secular education can't grasp the most basic principles of political science, while the Chassidim who can barely speak English know how to work the system in the best way possible to keep their way of life."

A little intellectual honesty here would go a long way. The NYT hammered Hochul and her Dem predecessors for not being tough on yeshivas and caving to them for votes. It's something the progressive base has long bothered elected officials about. No one in this thread has given a concrete answer to what Zeldin will actually do for yeshivas.

This is not a clear cut choice with one obvious candidate. Let's lay off the hateful rhetoric against other Jews who see things differently.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2022, 11:18:31 PM »
I've heard them explicitly say they ain't helping someone because they weren't there for them in the election.

So they don’t represent our interests, and don’t give a damn about their constituents. Sounds like a convincing reason to vote Democrat.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2022, 11:23:35 PM »
So they don’t represent our interests, and don’t give a damn about their constituents. Sounds like a convincing reason to vote Democrat.
You really think Rs are  different?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2022, 11:27:10 PM »
"Funny how those with more secular education can't grasp the most basic principles of political science, while the Chassidim who can barely speak English know how to work the system in the best way possible to keep their way of life."

A little intellectual honesty here would go a long way. The NYT hammered Hochul and her Dem predecessors for not being tough on yeshivas and caving to them for votes. It's something the progressive base has long bothered elected officials about. No one in this thread has given a concrete answer to what Zeldin will actually do for yeshivas.

This is not a clear cut choice with one obvious candidate. Let's lay off the hateful rhetoric against other Jews who see things differently.

Some see religion under attack and others see money trees, both are valid viewpoints, just depends what glasses you’re wearing.

We say סור מרע ועשה טוב, Zeldin might not be proven to be ועשה טוב, but he is סור מרע. Cant say the same for Hochul
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2022, 11:28:13 PM »
You really think Rs are  different?

In regards to representing our interests, absolutely.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2022, 11:32:57 PM »
In regards to representing our interests, absolutely.

Not the local guys I'm talking about. For all you know, I could have been talking about a republican

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2022, 12:05:48 AM »

This is not a clear cut choice with one obvious candidate.

Couldn’t disagree more. THE major issue over the last few months has been the threats to chinuch with Satmar as the bullseye. A major statement can be made by a community that traditionally votes D to vote R. Even though the governor doesn’t control the education department, his bully pulpit is really our best option at this point. One candidate is saying clearly that he will be on our side while the other is still calling for “opportunities for all children” (political talk for ramming down the YAFED agenda) in her campaign letter to reach out to the chasidim. Honestly having a hard time understanding what went into this decision.

That being said, I think it’s a good thing for the klal in general that one major community is endorsing the Democratic candidate. It’s not good to put all the eggs in one basket.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2022, 12:11:05 AM »
I'm related to an askan type who takes lots of heat locally for "only caring about photo ops", but helps many, many people when they need him with the connections he's made. I've been in his house and listened to politicians speaking and they 100% know exactly how many votes they got and where they got them. I've heard them explicitly say they ain't helping someone because they weren't there for them in the election. These are Dems in Crown Heights, their seats are as safe as a Spirit travel credit in Dan's house.

Anyway, even he is supporting Zeldin, but all behind the scenes. He isn't jeopardizing his connections with local Dems by publicly endorsing. And people are mad at him for that too.

The people are aware of this and are voting for Zeldin en masse. Rabbi Niderman in Williamsburg is also getting heat for not endorsing Zeldin yet. He claims that by not endorsing Hochul he's already making a statement but is not willing yet to take the risk to officially support her opponent. So far there is no gubernatorial endorsements from any of the kehillos/mosdos in Willy, but as I said people are voting for Zeldin nevertheless, including from Satmar R"A, and lots of people who don't usually vote.