Author Topic: Stimulus Checks  (Read 132639 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Stimulus Checks
« Reply #700 on: January 07, 2021, 10:34:45 PM »
Do kids get the same $2000 ?
That was the draft until now. No way to know how they'll ultimately pass it
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 07, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »
In theory you are right about them wanting to pass it right away.
But I just can't see it happening right away in practicality, because:
A- they would need 60 votes, which is not a sure thing at the moment. And if they go with less, they need to do a budget reconciliation which is limited to 1 (or 3) per year, so it would take time, especially if they want to tie it to something else in a budget reconciliation.
B- they need the IRS to help with distribution, and the IRS needs to open up the 2020 tax filing season later this month. They simply couldn't handle another new distribution, especially when any new bill will surely have new rules, like older dependents..

Therefore, I see Congress saying, go file your 2020 taxes, go get the Eic money, and after April (when the IRS quiets down), we will work on $2000.

But this is all logic, and not always do things work with logic...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 07, 2021, 11:31:05 PM »
In theory you are right about them wanting to pass it right away.
But I just can't see it happening right away in practicality, because:
A- they would need 60 votes, which is not a sure thing at the moment. And if they go with less, they need to do a budget reconciliation which is limited to 1 (or 3) per year, so it would take time, especially if they want to tie it to something else in a budget reconciliation.
B- they need the IRS to help with distribution, and the IRS needs to open up the 2020 tax filing season later this month. They simply couldn't handle another new distribution, especially when any new bill will surely have new rules, like older dependents..

Therefore, I see Congress saying, go file your 2020 taxes, go get the Eic money, and after April (when the IRS quiets down), we will work on $2000.

But this is all logic, and not always do things work with logic...
The US Congress isn't held up by IRS bureaucracy. If anything they'll postpone 2021 taxes again, another easy win with voters which is free when interest rates are zero.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 07, 2021, 11:33:28 PM »
I beg to differ

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 07, 2021, 11:34:32 PM »
The bill that includes $600 has a final payment date of Jan 15- anything not sent out by that date can only be claimed on the tax return. Obviously there'd need to be a new bill now because it's a new session, but the one that passed in the House did not change this, which means that the $1.4k difference was only available via one's tax return to begin with- it was never going to be sent as a payment.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 08, 2021, 12:08:05 AM »
I'm guessing that a new bill, will start from scratch, and if they give money for children, then it will include money for kids born in 2021, which will be able to be reconciled on 2021 taxes, (filed in 2022).
It (and any subsequent payments) may have totally different criteria than the first 2 checks, and therefore they will tie it to the next year's tax return, so not to confuse the 2020 tax return.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 08, 2021, 12:16:57 AM »
I very highly doubt Congress intends to give $2000 per child. A family with 8 kids who go to Public school doesn't have 8x expenses. If they make a new bill it is likely to be rectified IMO.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 08, 2021, 12:21:26 AM »
I very highly doubt Congress intends to give $2000 per child. A family with 8 kids who go to Public school doesn't have 8x expenses. If they make a new bill it is likely to be rectified IMO.

But you had said the $2k bill was going to pass immediately. So now you're saying that there's a chance they'll have to make a new bill that won't be as lucrative for large families? What a shame that nothing is set in stone.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 08, 2021, 12:29:57 AM »
But you had said the $2k bill was going to pass immediately. So now you're saying that there's a chance they'll have to make a new bill that won't be as lucrative for large families? What a shame that nothing is set in stone.
I didn't say the $2k bill was going to pass immediately. I said a $2k bill is going to pass immediately.
There is no way to predict what the future will bring. For all I know they'll pass $1k/mo until vaccines are available.

Offline Jack out of the box

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
« Reply #709 on: January 08, 2021, 02:30:58 AM »
weird, someone I know got 600.00 only for the mother who is a us citizen, (father is not) kids are all us citizens with ss numbers and all are included in 2019 taxes. Any ideas?
I saw an identical case.

Offline Jack out of the box

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
« Reply #710 on: January 08, 2021, 02:32:16 AM »
As long as they were a legal alien / permanent resident, that should've been enough for the first round as well
Spouses of NRAs who filed MFJ were ineligible last round.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #711 on: January 08, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
The Dems are not pro large families. For that matter they are ambivalent on families altogether.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 08, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »
I may be mistaken, but it's not so simple that the $2,000 will pass. It would need 60 supporters to pass it, and if they do it with the extended rules, which take longer but allow for a 51 vote majority, it can still be filibustered if there are no 60 supporters.

Until now, only a handful of Republicans openly supported it, and that included two that are not going to be in the next senate.

However, the Republicans have probably learned their lesson about the optics of opposing the checks, and some will probably back down. They definitely won't want the drama playing out of them filibustering such relief.

The Dems dont need 60 as they will use the budget reconciliation process which only mandates 50 votes.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 08, 2021, 11:02:30 AM »
The Dems are not pro large families. For that matter they are ambivalent on families altogether.

I totally agree.

However, that has nothing to do with them yelling from the rooftops that the $2k per person bill (including children) was blocked by Republicans and they still are intent on passing such a bill. The fact that it would benefit large families immensely would just be a smack in their face that they didn't realize was coming.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 08, 2021, 11:24:28 AM »
I totally agree.

However, that has nothing to do with them yelling from the rooftops that the $2k per person bill (including children) was blocked by Republicans and they still are intent on passing such a bill. The fact that it would benefit large families immensely would just be a smack in their face that they didn't realize was coming.
Nobody but a few neo nazis far right voters in WV would care if it's capped at $10k a family. They'll pacify their real electorate with larger handouts. 

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 08, 2021, 11:25:56 AM »
Nobody but a few neo nazis far right voters in WV would care if it's capped at $10k a family. They'll pacify their real electorate with larger handouts.
You mean the neo nazis in Lakewood, Brooklyn, and Monsey?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 08, 2021, 12:13:34 PM »
You mean the neo nazis in Lakewood, Brooklyn, and Monsey?
Chas Veshalom. They just aren't relevant on the political map.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 08, 2021, 12:14:42 PM »
Chas Veshalom. They just aren't relevant on the political map.
Ok, so I guess you're talking about the evangelicals.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 08, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »

You are missing the point. The original bill was for $2k per person, period end of sentence, not a lesser amount for children nor having any cap. That's what you said will pass immediately. Any changes to the amount per adult or child or putting a cap is not that, its something new.

Btw, you actually didn't say a $2k bill will pass, you said "The $2000..."

The $2000 is definitely passing immediately

And anyway now we have Sen. Manchin saying he won't vote for it. So there it goes unless they can get Republicans on board which will be much harder now.