Morocco - Dec. 2020

Likely:
Saudi Arabia
Oman

Rumored:
Qatar  HMMM
Kuwait

« Last edited by jew on October 26, 2023, 12:40:44 AM »

Author Topic: Peace In The Middle East Master Thread  (Read 155202 times)

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Peace In The Middle East Master Thread
« Reply #1280 on: May 22, 2024, 10:40:36 AM »
I remember a discussion about when the US recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The point being made was this is a positive for the peace process because that is no longer on the table as a sticking point. If other countries follow thru with recognizing a Palestine state will that also be a positive for the peace process as it will no longer be on the table as a sticking point?

Who and what are they recognizing? Who is the government? Who are the citizens? What are the borders? Recognizing a "State of Palestine" is about as useful as recognizing a "State of Confusion" without any details.
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 22, 2024, 10:42:58 AM »
I remember a discussion about when the US recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The point being made was this is a positive for the peace process because that is no longer on the table as a sticking point. If other countries follow thru with recognizing a Palestine state will that also be a positive for the peace process as it will no longer be on the table as a sticking point?
That is not the point here at all.
I'm sure many supporters of a 2 state solution would agree that now is not the right time.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1282 on: May 22, 2024, 10:50:58 AM »

Recognizing a Palestinian state as part of a process by definition would mean the Palestinian state wants in on that process. They do not. They want a single state "from the river to the sea". Even the "moderate" PA has refused such a deal over and over again. Hamas and its ilk haven't even pretended they want a state.

She goes into a little more has some points here:
https://x.com/EinatWilf/status/1793235906989522982

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 22, 2024, 10:52:51 AM »
where is the Capital? In swiss banks..

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1284 on: May 22, 2024, 10:56:43 AM »
Not sure why I asked the question. I guess hoping some would see the general point.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 22, 2024, 11:00:27 AM »
Not sure why I asked the question. I guess hoping some would see the general point.

Maybe express your point, and the people will see it...
- Gallagher

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1286 on: May 22, 2024, 11:02:55 AM »
Maybe express your point, and the people will see it...

He made it very well. If someone considers that to be an obstacle to an agreement then making it fait accompli can help the agreement happen. This was the same argument some said regarding the US embassy. It is a reasonable train of thought, but there are reasons why it may not apply here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 22, 2024, 11:13:41 AM »
In the hypothetical that this process and peace is benificial:

The damage to said peace by rewarding and incentivizing murder and terror of 10/7 sets peace back far more than taking this off the table moves it forward

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 22, 2024, 11:13:58 AM »
He made it very well. If someone considers that to be an obstacle to an agreement then making it fait accompli can help the agreement happen. This was the same argument some said regarding the US embassy. It is a reasonable train of thought, but there are reasons why it may not apply here.
Thank you!!!

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1289 on: May 22, 2024, 11:19:06 AM »
Thank you!!!

And my post didn't answer? It never has been a sticking point for those who want a two state solution - that's what two state solution means by definition.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: May 22, 2024, 11:22:25 AM »
And my post didn't answer? It never has been a sticking point for those who want a two state solution - that's what two state solution means by definition.
Your post answered why the two should not be equated. I assumed you understood my point.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #1291 on: May 22, 2024, 11:32:15 AM »
Your post answered why the two should not be equated. I assumed you understood my point.

Truth is, I don't agree with the premise of your question anyway. I don't believe Jerusalem is a "sticking point" - they don't want a capital in TLV either. The entire concept of a "peace process" is a mirage.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 22, 2024, 11:38:17 AM »
Truth is, I don't agree with the premise of your question anyway. I don't believe Jerusalem is a "sticking point" - they don't want a capital in TLV either. The entire concept of a "peace process" is a mirage.
We are on the same page.
For the record I never made the point about sticking point in the original discussion. It was brought up to show how it would improve the peace process. I called it BS it not so many words at the time.

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 22, 2024, 11:41:09 AM »

Except the idea of a State of Palestine hasn't been the obstacle. It's what that means in reality that has been the sticking point.

Who and what are they recognizing? Who is the government? Who are the citizens? What are the borders?

Saying, "We recognize the State of Palestine," without saying who or what you are talking about accomplishes nothing.

In short, it's not the same thing, because one recognizes a physical reality and reinforces it, while the other recognizes an idea, which clarifies nothing.
- Gallagher

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 22, 2024, 11:42:24 AM »
We are on the same page.
For the record I never made the point about sticking point in the original discussion. It was brought up to show how it would improve the peace process. I called it BS it not so many words at the time.

I wasn't part of the original discussion, and we likely agree. It may have helped Israel's stance, but it doesn't actually get anyone closer to an agreement.
- Gallagher

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1295 on: May 22, 2024, 11:42:40 AM »
Except the idea of a State of Palestine hasn't been the obstacle. It's what that means in reality that has been the sticking point.

So you understand his point but disagree with it?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 22, 2024, 11:47:02 AM »
Just so we are clear I do not believe either of the two will help the peace process. You don't favor one side over the other if you really are trying to help the two come to an agreement.

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 22, 2024, 11:54:14 AM »
So you understand his point but disagree with it?

I thought I understood his point, and asked a question based on that, but then he posted insinuating that none of us got the point. So I guess I still don't get it.

A two state solution has been pretty much fait accompli in every negotiation since the 1920s. The issue isn't the idea. The issue is what that means. If all of these countries declared who, what, and where the State of Palestine is, then I'd get the comparison.
- Gallagher

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 22, 2024, 11:57:12 AM »
Just so we are clear I do not believe either of the two will help the peace process. You don't favor one side over the other if you really are trying to help the two come to an agreement.

We generally agree. However, there is a difference between favoring one side and acknowledging that one side may have a stronger argument on certain points.
- Gallagher

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #1299 on: May 24, 2024, 03:34:51 AM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/dave-chappelle-tells-abu-dhabi-audience-that-theres-a-genocide-in-gaza/
Comedian’s comments on Israel-Hamas war draw cheers, as he also says Americans should fight antisemitism so Jews there don’t feel they need Israel for protection

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — American comedian Dave Chappelle said Thursday a “genocide” is striking the Gaza Strip amid the Israel-Hamas war to cheers during his performance in the capital of the United Arab Emirates, while urging Americans to fight antisemitism so Jews don’t feel like they need to be protected by Israel.

Chappelle’s comments come as Abu Dhabi has maintained its diplomatic relations with Israel even as it has increasingly criticized its conduct in the seven-month war.

Meanwhile, while pro-Palestinian marches have swept across the wider Middle East since the war was started by Hamas’s devastating October 7 attack, protests and speech remains tightly restricted in the Emirates, a federation of seven sheikdoms on the Arabian Peninsula.

Even before coming on stage, the full crowd at Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Arena cheered as DJ Trauma, who accompanied Chappelle on the trip, played the song “My Blood is Palestinian” by the Palestinian singer Mohammed Assaf. The thousands there agreed to place their switched-off mobile phones in locked pouches for the performance — a standard feature of Chappelle’s shows.

About halfway through in a wide-ranging comedy set in Abu Dhabi, Chappelle, a Muslim, initially said he had been told by his friends either to discuss the war or not. From the audience, a woman screamed: “Free Palestine!” The crowd cheered.

Chappelle then said the Gaza Strip faces a “genocide.” He also said that making Jews safer in America amid rising cases of antisemitism would make them realize they don’t need Israel as an ultimate protector.

Another moment also displayed just how diverse the crowd was in the Abu Dhabi. In telling another joke about how Jews cheer while drinking, Chappelle said “l’chaim,” or “to life” in Hebrew, which another man shouted back from the audience.

But when touching on the upcoming US election, Chappelle’s mention of President Joe Biden — who has promised “ironclad” support for Israel — drew widespread boos throughout the arena. Donald Trump drew scattered cheers.

Dave Chappelle arrives at Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts for the 22nd Annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in Washington, October 27, 2019. (Owen Sweeney/Invision/AP)
Chappelle, as other artists during the performance, told some racy jokes and swore. But they largely avoided discussing local politics — though Chappelle did make a sly joke about the UAE’s widespread surveillance network and another deadpanning about “how difficult is it to be gay” in the country as homosexuality is illegal.

But he also came out on stage with a falcon on his arm — a symbol for the UAE.

Chappelle, 50, won the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 2019. He performed at the Abu Dhabi Comedy Week.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!