Author Topic: Random Halacha  (Read 10059 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Toveling a dedicated Kos Shel Eliyahu if you don't drink from it
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2023, 09:21:46 AM »
So your Makpid on Halacha for yourself but not Eliyahu HaNavi? He can be O'ver?
There is no source for him drinking it AFAIK

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2023, 09:35:34 AM »
So your Makpid on Halacha for yourself but not Eliyahu HaNavi? He can be O'ver?
That is the question. Is Eliyahu over or not? How do we see his visit in halacha? Do you tell your kids that he really comes? It's a very litvishe question. Don't forget - those chasidim with the minhag to drink shirayim from the kos don't even have this question...
This:

Possibly controversial quote from Rabbi Berkovits coming up:

Quote from: Rabbi Yitzchok Berkovits
Do you tell your children that Eliyahu Hanavi comes and drinks from his cup? I am torn about this matter. We grew up on it. However, I am unaware of any mekor for it – and I come from chassidim! We make a big deal about it – after shefoch chamascha, everyone gets shirayim from Eliyahu Hanavi. Moreover, before we drink from it, we add a drop of wine to fix the status of pogum that it has! Yet, the Sefer Hachinuch conclusively states, “A man does not give over lies to his children.” How can you tell your children something that you do not even know is true? This is what bothers me. Again, I have never found a source that Eliyahu Hanavi drinks from his cup.

Does he come? That there are sources for. However, what does it mean? Is he literally there? It also says that he goes to every bris… Chazal say so. Still, the reason brought for opening the door is that it is Leil Shimurim, the night on which Hashem is watching over and protecting us – and NOT because Eliyahu Hanavi comes. Yet people say “Baruch Habah” when they open the door – Eliyahu Hanavi is there, after all…

This is entirely not related to the concept of ushpizin on Sukkos. The source for that is the Zohar. Either way, exactly how literal to take it is up for discussion. Still, there is no Zohar that says that Eliyahu Hanavi drinks from his cup. Indeed, the fifth cup stands for vihevesi, the word of geulah that applies to the future redemption – when Eliyahu Hanavi will come.

From the youngest age, I have made it very clear to my children that this is not something that we know. Chalilah to equate it in any way with the rest of what we are discussing that night – sipur yetzias Mitzrayim. For the latter, it is real, we know it, we have an unbroken mesorah about it from generation to generation. For the former… people say it, we don’t know if it is true or what it means if it even is. There is no mekor for it in our mesorah. And, we still say “Baruch Habah,” and we are metaken the kos pogum. That is our family’s minhag, and I do it with a big smile, and everyone smiles along… The smile is that we are taking it with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:40:20 AM by mevinyavin »
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline jfish227

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2023, 09:45:43 AM »
That is the question. Is Eliyahu over or not? How do we see his visit in halacha? Do you tell your kids that he really comes? It's a very litvishe question. Don't forget - those chasidim with the minhag to drink shirayim from the kos don't even have this question...
This:
https://app.lakewooddafyomi.com/browse/listen?type=other&id=181290006
starting around 6:30

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2023, 10:30:10 AM »
https://app.lakewooddafyomi.com/browse/listen?type=other&id=181290006
starting around 6:30
good stuff.
Eliyahu Hanavi could appear as a Malach or as a Person. As a Malach he can't be O'ver on Mitzvos, if he comes as a person he's Chayav. According to this, you would not need to Toivel the Kois even if he would drink...

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2023, 10:31:19 AM »
wrong thread. put it in the reasons why people go off the derech thread  ;D

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Random Halacha
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2023, 10:31:54 AM »
good stuff.
Eliyahu Hanavi could appear as a Malach or as a Person. As a Malach he can't be O'ver on Mitzvos, if he comes as a person he's Chayav. According to this, you would not need to Toivel the Kois even if he would drink...

Not able to listen now, but this is connected to whether or not there is a teyna against the malachim when they ate meat with butter at Avraham Avinu
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2023, 09:06:52 PM »
How to remember the measurements of the Torah...

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2023, 12:31:28 AM »
Is the lab grade supplement Creatine Monohydrate in itself kosher?And if yes, can one purchase it online, without a hechsher?
So I guess this would only go for non flavored etc..

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2023, 08:46:04 AM »
Is the lab grade supplement Creatine Monohydrate in itself kosher?And if yes, can one purchase it online, without a hechsher?
So I guess this would only go for non flavored etc..
usually 'vegan' but can be animal based

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »
This:
Fascinating discussion on this from Rabbi Dr Eliezer Brodt. Apparently he’s written an entire sefer on it. Worth the listen.
https://alldaf.org/p/149655

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2023, 03:01:08 AM »
This was just sent out in Rabbi Berkovits's name:
Those who keep R' Yehuda Hachasid's minhag not to cut hair on Rosh Chodesh may do so on Thursday this week. Those who don't keep the minhag may do so on Erev Shabbos.
No sources; just sent out like this.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2023, 12:20:21 PM »
Guy crushes the laptop of the person behind him when he reclines on a plane. Is he chayev?
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/371788

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2023, 09:32:04 PM »
Guy crushes the laptop of the person behind him when he reclines on a plane. Is he chayev?
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/371788
It's airlines policy that you can walk onto the plane so you can walk on the plane with your eyes closed plowing through everyone and everything...
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2023, 03:55:56 AM »
It's airlines policy that you can walk onto the plane so you can walk on the plane with your eyes closed plowing through everyone and everything...
And the way the airline treats you, you can apply dina dmalchusa (unless it is El Al).

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2023, 07:47:46 AM »
Halacha riddle: Under what circumstances would no one choose the direct flight listed here over the layover flight for the same price? (Ignore the $4000 price tag - has to do with the number of passengers.)

Winner gets a like.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:16:50 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2023, 08:54:39 AM »
Halacha riddle: Under what circumstances would no one choose the direct flight listed here over the layover flight for the same price? (Ignore the $4000 price tag - has to do with the number of passengers.)

Winner gets a like. Answer posted in four hours.

יו״ט שני for a בן א״י, assuming it ends in BOS before you land there.

(Though if that’s the answer I’d beg to differ on the usage of no one. You and I wouldn’t, but I think some would.)

ETA: Seeing your other post now, I assume you intended for the answer here to be something to do with צום גדליה…
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:58:56 AM by Yehudaa »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2023, 09:16:25 AM »
יו״ט שני for a בן א״י, assuming it ends in BOS before you land there.

(Though if that’s the answer I’d beg to differ on the usage of no one. You and I wouldn’t, but I think some would.)

ETA: Seeing your other post now, I assume you intended for the answer here to be something to do with צום גדליה…
RSZ held that the airport has the din of an ir without a minhag, and as such, you can do melacha in the airport. I didn't know anyone argues on this. The flights I listed ARE on the second day of Sukkos, the same day. If you land in the airport at 5:30AM, this is the equivalent of a 15 hour layover because you can't leave the airport until tseis. But because of RSZ, there is no problem transferring flights if you don't leave the airport.
When I said no one I meant fun unzere. Maybe I should have been more specific, but it was posted in the halacha thread...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:21:09 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2023, 02:49:35 AM »
If you land in the airport at 5:30AM, this is the equivalent of a 15 hour layover because you can't leave the airport until tseis. But because of RSZ, there is no problem transferring flights if you don't leave the airport.
Please excuse this ignorant question.
Why can't an Israeli, who only holds 1 day yomtov, leave the airport? If he can't drive up to a frum area, couldn't he go to a hotel?

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2023, 03:46:27 AM »
Please excuse this ignorant question.
Why can't an Israeli, who only holds 1 day yomtov, leave the airport? If he can't drive up to a frum area, couldn't he go to a hotel?
Outside the airport has the din of an ir that is keeping Yom Tov, and you cannot do melacha. See OC 496:3 and the meforshim there.
I suppose you could leave JFK on foot without any carrying. But would you want to?

Correction to my previous post: I found this:
Let us conclude with an interesting question, at times relevant to travelers from Israel.  May an Israeli fly from Israel after Yom Tov ends there and arrive in Chutz La-Aretz on Yom Tov Sheni? First, is an airport, even one located within the area of a town with Jewish inhabitants, considered a yishuv? Some Poskim prohibit taking such a flight, as landing in an airport would be a violation of the local custom in Chutz La-Aretz. Others view an airport, even within the vicinity of a city with a Jewish population, as “extra-territorial” – and therefore one would be permitted to land and stay in the airport. However, one would certainly not be permitted to drive to a yishuv with Jewish residents, as that certainly deviates from the public observance of Yom Tov.  (See Piskei Teshuvot 496:10 and Sefer Yom Tov Sheni Ke-Hilkhato 3:3.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 03:52:46 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2023, 05:24:04 AM »
RSZ held that the airport has the din of an ir without a minhag, and as such, you can do melacha in the airport. I didn't know anyone argues on this. The flights I listed ARE on the second day of Sukkos, the same day. If you land in the airport at 5:30AM, this is the equivalent of a 15 hour layover because you can't leave the airport until tseis. But because of RSZ, there is no problem transferring flights if you don't leave the airport.
When I said no one I meant fun unzere. Maybe I should have been more specific, but it was posted in the halacha thread...

He held this about ALL airports? like even Lakewood Municipal Airport? Or just airports more or less outside the city limits?