Topic Wiki

The wiki is divided into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have. Please try to avoid cluttering the wiki with unnecessary information such as outside links.

Please do not delete anything from this wiki.  If you disagree with an opinion, feel free to post your own. If you disagree with a fact--well, that's your opinion, and feel free to post it under opinions!

Facts
The flu vaccine causes more deaths per year than chicken pox.
The direct injection of RSV immunoglobulin, commonly known as the "RSV vaccine" would prevent 16x more deaths than the flu vaccine does, but is too expensive.
There is a vaccine for the plague, and that is why it is no longer an epidemic.
Ebola is caused by vaccines.
There is a vaccine for autism, but it causes mumps.

Opinions
Vaccines do not contain thimerosal, a known toxin.
If you snuck up on your neighbor's kid and cut open his skull, you would be arrested.  But when brain surgeons do it, and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars, it considered "medicine."
99% of vaccines do not cause autism (HT JJ1000).
Every pedi has seen healthy kids become sick physically & mentally hours after a vax (HT Baryochai)
Vaccines cause cancer, infertility, astma, adhd etc (HT Baryochai)

Poll

Did You Get The Flu Vaccine This Winter?

Yes (Shot)
121 (37.3%)
Yes (Nasal Spray)
5 (1.5%)
No
198 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread  (Read 572723 times)

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #1200 on: November 14, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
I added a wiki. I divided it into groups for "fact" and "opinion." Please feel free to add whichever facts you know and opinions you have.
Seriously? The great vaccine debate won't be solved on DDF.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1201 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC320893/
did you read the article you linked to? It says nothing remotely similar to what you attribute it to be saying.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 14, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »
did you read the article you linked to? It says nothing remotely similar to what you attribute it to be saying.

From the article:

CONCLUSIONS: There are significantly elevated risks of febrile seizures on the day of receipt of DTP vaccine and 8 to 14 days after the receipt of MMR vaccine, but these risks do not appear to be associated with any long-term, adverse consequences.

I'm obviously not pro vaccines, and I'm not going to try to change anybody's mind.

My message is that whatever you do, be educated about it.

If you feel that the benefits outweigh the risks, then by all means go for it. But don't downplay the risks or pretend they don't exist.

Whatever you do, don't do it because somebody told you to do so, or because everybody is doing it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:39:53 PM by wayfe »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 14, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
Seriously? The great vaccine debate won't be solved on DDF.

You just don't want to solve it because you're afraid to find out

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 14, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
You just don't want to solve it because you're afraid to find out
If I'd be afraid of being wrong- I'd have chosen the more popular side a long time ago
— Richard Feynman

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 14, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
From the article:

CONCLUSIONS: There are significantly elevated risks of febrile seizures on the day of receipt of DTP vaccine and 8 to 14 days after the receipt of MMR vaccine, but these risks do not appear to be associated with any long-term, adverse consequences.

obviously not pro vaccines, and I'm not going to try to change anybody's mind.

If you feel that the benefits outweigh the risks, then by all means go for it. But don't downplay the risks or pretend they don't exist.

Whatever you do, don't do it because somebody told you to do so, or because everybody is doing it.

I agree with this. This is exactly the type of risk that they try to hide because they are afraid you'll choose wrong. I don't like that.

But I'm giving my kid vaccines anyway, because I had them and so will he.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 14, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »

I agree with this. This is exactly the type of risk that they try to hide because they are afraid you'll choose wrong. I don't like that.

But I'm giving my kid vaccines anyway, because I had them and so will he.

And I never had them, so my kids won't. I'm just going to have to fight a lot harder to get my way.
— Richard Feynman

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: November 14, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
From the article:

I'm obviously not pro vaccines, and I'm not going to try to change anybody's mind.

did you read the whole thing or just that line? Nowhere does it say that it is normal. How about this sentence for lines earlier
The number of febrile seizures attributable to the administration of DTP and MMR vaccines was estimated to be 6 to 9 and 25 to 34 per 100,000 children, respectively
That comes to a maximum of 0.009% and 0.034% or one in 11,111 and 2941 children. Not exactly a normal reaction.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: November 14, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
I don't know enough about statistics to know what percentage makes something significant.

I meant normal as in an 'ok' as opposed to 'severe or dangerous' reaction.
— Richard Feynman

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 14, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »
I don't know enough about statistics to know what percentage makes something significant.

I meant normal as in an 'ok' as opposed to 'severe or dangerous' reaction.
in that case, what is your point? That there exists a rare reaction that is not considered to have a long term effect? So what?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 15, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
Let's put that in numbers I understand.

Approximately one in 3000 times the MMR is administered, the baby has a seizure from it.
Approximately one in 11000 times the TDP is administered, the baby has a seizure from it.

Presumably this result will hold true for other vaccines as well.

The vaccine regimen for kids up to age 11 is like 30 or so. Let's assume the average seizure rate for all vaccines is somewhere about 1 in 7000. So over 30 vaccines that will be 1 in 233 kids will have a seizure from receiving a vaccine.

That's not so rare. It's a whole lot less rare than the rate of major complications from chicken pox, which has a vaccine.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1211 on: November 15, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »

Approximately one in 3000 times the MMR is administered, the baby has a seizure from it.
Approximately one in 11000 times the TDP is administered, the baby has a seizure from it.

The vaccine regimen for kids up to age 11 is like 30 or so. Let's assume the average seizure rate for all vaccines is somewhere about 1 in 7000. So over 30 vaccines that will be 1 in 233 kids will have a seizure from receiving a vaccine.

That's not so rare. It's a whole lot less rare than the rate of major complications from chicken pox, which has a vaccine.

I don't know enough about seizures but your reasoning may be flawed, assuming some kids are more prone to getting seizures then those kids will get seizures from more than one vaccine and that would put the overall number of children getting seizures at a lot smaller than 1 in 233.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 15, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
I don't know enough about seizures but your reasoning may be flawed, assuming some kids are more prone to getting seizures then those kids will get seizures from more than one vaccine and that would put the overall number of children getting seizures at a lot smaller than 1 in 233.

Fair point. I'd thought of that, but wasn't sure how to build it in. Also, I'm not sure that makes me feel better if some kids are getting 30 seizures and some none.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1213 on: November 15, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
Fair point. I'd thought of that, but wasn't sure how to build it in. Also, I'm not sure that makes me feel better if some kids are getting 30 seizures and some none.
I'm guessing if a kid was prone to seizures his doctor would tone down the vax.

Again I don't know, I could be making it up and it could be the seizures are a randome thing that come out of the blue...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 15, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »

Again I don't know, I could be making it up and it could be the seizures are a randome thing that come out of the blue...

Ah, you mean once the kid got the seizure once.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1215 on: November 15, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
Ah, you mean once the kid got the seizure once.
Unless there was some other way to know...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 15, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
Unless there was some other way to know...

Ah, and they only started testing for it after this study.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 15, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

from the looks of it the prevalence of this issue can vary greatly between vaccines. It these two, one is three times more likely than the other. It is possible that others are less prevalent. I would imagine that the tolerance for side effects would be less for a vaccine for chicken pox than for polio.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 15, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Well at what point is a kid "prone" to seizures? How many 'normal' seizures after vaccination does that take?

The more seizures a person has- the more prone he is to having more... while this sounds like a 'duh' statement, in truth- it sounds like if the first few could have been avoided- so could the rest.

From here:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/FebrileSeizures.html

Children recover quickly from febrile seizures.
Febrile seizures can be frightening, but nearly all children who have a febrile seizure recover quickly and are healthy afterwards. About 1 in 3 children who have one febrile seizure will have at least one more during childhood; some of these are linked to family health history. There is a small increased risk for febrile seizures after MMR and MMRV vaccines.

and

There is an increased risk for febrile seizures when influenza (flu) vaccine is given around the same time as PCV13 and DTaP vaccines.
A recent VSD study took a closer look at the 2010/2011 febrile seizure signal* for trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV or IIV) and pneumococcal 13-valent conjugate vaccine (PCV-13). The study included the 2006-2009 seasons in addition to the 2010-2011 influenza season. The findings showed that PCV and DTaP both increase risk of febrile seizure when given at the same time as the flu vaccine.  CDC found that when TIV was given alone, it was not associated with an increased risk of febrile seizures (in the influenza seasons studied).

*A signal is a scientific “red flag,” alerting CDC that a vaccine may be causing a problem.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:11:02 PM by wayfe »
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 15, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
I would imagine that the tolerance for side effects would be less for a vaccine for chicken pox than for polio.

I'm not sure what you mean- tolerance on the side of the parents, or the recipients body?
— Richard Feynman