Author Topic: NBA Master Thread  (Read 769482 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: NBA Master Thread
« Reply #5520 on: July 23, 2021, 12:02:05 PM »
Ok so you admit you were wrong by saying that that was the stupidest thing the nets can do? 
They were stupid for paying him all that money and I stand by that. As of now they have nothing to show for it. I love when you try and buy a championship and fail.  :)

He played all 48 minutes, was obviously gassed and went for the win in regulation. Unfortunately his toe was on the line. He had to play another 5 minutes now with no break and you are asking why he didn't take over? Not to mention he found the top 3 point shooter in the league wide open for 3 and he missed. Not to mention his coach stupidly not calling a timeout to draw up the last play with 12 seconds left.

I guess you either did not watch the game or don't know too much about basketball.
He played 48 minutes.  :'(
His toe was on the line.  :'(
He was to tired to play 5 more minutes.  :'(
The 3 point shooter missed.  :'(
It was the coaches fault.  :'(

You seem to forget he was one on one with plenty of time left and threw up an air ball to lose the game. Maybe I watch the game without KD rose colored glasses?  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: July 23, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »
When you go all in, you better win

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #5522 on: July 23, 2021, 12:45:26 PM »
They were stupid for paying him all that money and I stand by that. As of now they have nothing to show for it. I love when you try and buy a championship and fail.  :)
They were stupid for paying him that $?
Let's analyze that...

Who would you have rather paid KD or Tobias Harris? or anyone else? let me know who they should have got instead that was available to get.
They chose kyrie over Dangelo Russell at the same $ for both. Who would you rather have? The answer is obvious.
Getting KD led to us robbing Houston of James Harden. That doesnt happen without D, so this led to getting a 2nd former MVP on our team.
Please tell me again that it was stupid to give KD a max...

Regarding all the other "excuses" They are excuses, I am not hiding from it but lets not throw everything he did in the garbage because of 1 bad overtime when there are reasons that he had that bad overtime. If you get rid of those reasons next time, you will hopefully have a different result.

Finally, on the "They have nothing to show for it" That is the stupidest argument ever! Only 1 team wins the chip every year so do all 29 teams have "nothing to show for" every season? He has elevated the value of the franchise by hundreds of millions of dollars. They are selling out playoff games amidst a pandemic. Is that nothing to show for? His $164 million dollar investment in KD already paid off and there are 2 years left on the deal.

Finally, The Nets are the favorite to win the championship again after being the favorites last year. So I am pretty sure they are doing something right. Obviously that doesn't guarantee that they will win but cut the nonsense with "The Nets were stupid to sign KD to a max" 

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #5523 on: July 23, 2021, 12:47:34 PM »
When you go all in, you better win
They owned that the season was a failure, and no one is running away from that. I am referring to him saying signing KD was a mistake and he would never be the player he was. That was clearly a foolish take back then and looks even more foolish now after his amazing performance. Yet instead of admitting he was wrong, he is doubling down because KD fell short in his first season back of the ultimate goal.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: July 23, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
When you mortgage your future for a ship, yes - losing in the second round is “nothing to show for”. It’s all or nothing. This season was a failure. They have another shot, but can’t redo the past and May not have many more chances.

Finally, on the "They have nothing to show for it" That is the stupidest argument ever! Only 1 team wins the chip every year so do all 29 teams have "nothing to show for" every season? He has elevated the value of the franchise by hundreds of millions of dollars. They are selling out playoff games amidst a pandemic. Is that nothing to show for? His $164 million dollar investment in KD already paid off and there are 2 years left on the deal.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: July 23, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »

You seem to forget he was one on one with plenty of time left and threw up an air ball to lose the game. Maybe I watch the game without KD rose colored glasses?  :)
How is it KD rose colored glasses to say that they should have called a timeout there? Its not legitimate to question a coach for not using a TO there? They called the TO for the last play of regulation and how did that work out? Yes I am a Nets fan. that doesnt mean I have KD colored glasses. I root for the team and I appreciate how KD played his a** off. I know that there is one person here that is absolved from blame because he clearly left it all on the court.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: July 23, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
When you mortgage your future for a ship, yes - losing in the second round is “nothing to show for”. It’s all or nothing. This season was a failure. They have another shot, but can’t redo the past and May not have many more chances.
Again I agree that the season was a failure. You are completely missing the point. They did not go all in for KD. They signed him as a free agent. They even got a first round pick to sign him! We are discussing whether it was right or wrong to give KD the max.

He thinks its wrong.

I think it was an awesome move and would do it 100/100 times.

No one is denying that the season was a failure

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: July 23, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »
They were stupid for paying him that $?
Let's analyze that...

Who would you have rather paid KD or Tobias Harris? or anyone else? let me know who they should have got instead that was available to get.
They chose kyrie over Dangelo Russell at the same $ for both. Who would you rather have? The answer is obvious.
Getting KD led to us robbing Houston of James Harden. That doesnt happen without D, so this led to getting a 2nd former MVP on our team.
Please tell me again that it was stupid to give KD a max...

Regarding all the other "excuses" They are excuses, I am not hiding from it but lets not throw everything he did in the garbage because of 1 bad overtime when there are reasons that he had that bad overtime. If you get rid of those reasons next time, you will hopefully have a different result.

Finally, The Nets are the favorite to win the championship again after being the favorites last year. So I am pretty sure they are doing something right. Obviously that doesn't guarantee that they will win but cut the nonsense with "The Nets were stupid to sign KD to a max"
Look I have nothing against KD. I said as of "now" they have nothing to show for it. They paid him that money to bring them a championship. So far that is a failure but that can change. So lets wait for a championship before you fry me at the stake.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: July 23, 2021, 04:29:43 PM »
Look I have nothing against KD. I said as of "now" they have nothing to show for it. They paid him that money to bring them a championship. So far that is a failure but that can change. So lets wait for a championship before you fry me at the stake.
your argument was that he won’t be the same player and that he would never recover from the Achilles injury. I think at this point we have enough evidence to fry you for that. For some reason you are moving the goal post now and saying that the $ won’t be worth it unless they win a championship which is also false for other reasons. Either way I would love to see you play GM with 2 max slots and tell me who you would have signed that would have been better

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: July 23, 2021, 04:37:18 PM »
your argument was that he won’t be the same player and that he would never recover from the Achilles injury. I think at this point we have enough evidence to fry you for that. For some reason you are moving the goal post now and saying that the $ won’t be worth it unless they win a championship which is also false for other reasons. Either way I would love to see you play GM with 2 max slots and tell me who you would have signed that would have been better
I said a lot of things including he would not be the same payer. You claim he is better player now but I will admit I have not watched him to decide. I watched some playoffs including his game 7. After he hit the shot at the end on the game I thought the Bucks were toast. Then came overtime and we all know what happened. That is what matters!

After a full season for him next year you can revisit and maybe fry me. I will keep the coals warm.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:42:14 PM by CountValentine »

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: July 23, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »

Just because you have a max slot doesn't mean you need to use it for a long term deal. Now you have very little flexibility.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: July 23, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »
I said a lot of things including he would not be the same payer. You claim he is better player now but I will admit I have not watched him to decide. I watched some playoffs including his game 7. After he hit the shot at the end on the game I thought the Bucks were toasted. In overtime the pre-injury KD would have taken over.

GOATs take over when it counts

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: July 23, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »
GOATs take over when it counts
I hate to agree with you but you are right.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: July 23, 2021, 05:08:54 PM »
Bucks paid  Giannis $228.2 million for one reason and only one reason. They received their return and now the Nets are still waiting for theirs.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: July 23, 2021, 07:13:11 PM »
Just because you have a max slot doesn't mean you need to use it for a long term deal. Now you have very little flexibility.
no problem. It is 2 years later and I am letting you be a Monday morning quarterback what would you have done better? They had plenty of flexibility as you can see they were able to pull off a trade for James Harden so please don’t make things up. Now they do not have much flexibility because they gave up all their assets for Harden but they don’t need it because they have their big guns and veterans will line up to take the minimum to ring chase Ala Blake Griffin and Lamarcus Aldridge and most likely Kevin Love this year

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: July 23, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
Bucks paid  Giannis $228.2 million for one reason and only one reason. They received their return and now the Nets are still waiting for theirs.
no problem but you didn’t say when the Bucks gave Giannis his $ that it was the stupidest thing they could have done. You gave him his chance to win a ring.

KD had one shot so far and failed why doesn’t he get a few shots like Giannis did? You can’t tell me when the Bucks were down 49 points to the Nets in game 2 that Giannis was worth the $ then. Plus his team won 2 playoff  games without him this year so relax in the whole Giannis is worth the $.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 23, 2021, 07:16:46 PM »
no problem. It is 2 years later and I am letting you be a Monday morning quarterback what would you have done better? They had plenty of flexibility as you can see they were able to pull off a trade for James Harden so please don’t make things up. Now they do not have much flexibility because they gave up all their assets for Harden but they don’t need it because they have their big guns and veterans will line up to take the minimum to ring chase Ala Blake Griffin and Lamarcus Aldridge and most likely Kevin Love this year

I.e. they went all in. That is the risk they took with the KD contract while he was a long period away from contributing in any capacity. I hope it works for them. You are right that they are tied favorites in the odds, and they definitely have a shot. Let's hope their stars deliver in the playoffs this year.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 23, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
I said a lot of things including he would not be the same payer. You claim he is better player now but I will admit I have not watched him to decide. I watched some playoffs including his game 7. After he hit the shot at the end on the game I thought the Bucks were toast. Then came overtime and we all know what happened. That is what matters!

After a full season for him next year you can revisit and maybe fry me. I will keep the coals warm.
so based on that overtime he is now worthless? Based on a 5 minute sample size? Really? We are going to throw out the rest of the season and the playoffs in the garbage? Do you hear yourself?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 23, 2021, 07:19:56 PM »
no problem but you didn’t say when the Bucks gave Giannis his $ that it was the stupidest thing they could have done. You gave him his chance to win a ring.

KD had one shot so far and failed why doesn’t he get a few shots like Giannis did? You can’t tell me when the Bucks were down 49 points to the Nets in game 2 that Giannis was worth the $ then. Plus his team won 2 playoff  games without him this year so relax in the whole Giannis is worth the $.

Was Giannis injured and potentially past his prime when he got his $???

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: July 23, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
I.e. they went all in. That is the risk they took with the KD contract while he was a long period away from contributing in any capacity. I hope it works for them. You are right that they are tied favorites in the odds, and they definitely have a shot. Let's hope their stars deliver in the playoffs this year.
how is it a risk? You are still not giving me a better alternative? They signed him as a free agent. What’s the worse that can happen? They didn’t give up anything to get him. It’s not a risk at all. And like I said 2 years ago, their doctor did the surgery so they had his medical records.