Author Topic: New Shidduch Idea  (Read 72435 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: New Shidduch Idea
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:57 AM »
Marriage is hard work.  Some have to work harder than others depending on who they marry and what situation they're in. Others have to work harder depending on their personalities. 

There is a marriage problem.
And maybe they can be discussed together because I bet a lot of those cases ARE young singles who were pressured into marriage, or just went along with things because it was "the next step" without having a good idea of what they were getting into.

+10 (the highest "+" I've ever given!)

I've dated girls with broken engagements and the story was always the same.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
I'm in no way opposed to people getting married younger but we also could do a better job of presenting marriage to these young folks.

Also, it would be nice to not have the pressure of not being able to wait a few years because then you'll be damaged goods.   But unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
I think we ought to turn this thread to: How to find your bashert.
I'm a busy body, so I'll start.

Look for someone you get along with who has your values.
'get along with' - communication is sincere and comfortable
'has your values' - has the same vision as you on what your life looks like in 5 years, 10 years..

Family background, school/education, etc are tools to help determine their mindset and values, and could be added assets.

In your marriage, if your lives are headed in the same direction, and you can express disagreement clearly, you have a strong chance for a happy union.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »

'has your values' - has the same vision as you on what your life looks like in 5 years, 10 years..

Family background, school/education, etc are tools to help determine their mindset and values, and could be added assets.

In your marriage, if your lives are headed in the same direction, and you can express disagreement clearly, you have a strong chance for a happy union.

or just date/marry someone really easy going :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:05:22 AM by ushdadude »

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
I have and do. I suppose the issue of older singles is as well that we are exposed to the other side of marriages, we see the broken dreams and it scares us, as much as being single their whole life scares them?
I'm so grateful for the divorced people and the unhappy couples I know.

It showed me exactly what to stay away from.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
I can't read 11 pages just because I spaced out for one day.

This appears to be a simple make money scheme, where they get to charge you 100 up front, and then double shadchanus on the back end.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
I'm in no way opposed to people getting married younger but we also could do a better job of presenting marriage to these young folks.

Also, it would be nice to not have the pressure of not being able to wait a few years because then you'll be damaged goods.   But unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

I think i'm more scared of kids than I am of marriage, it seems like a gigantic responsibility i'm not up for, at least at this stage.

Every one tells me a different story "marriage is sheer terror, but its worth it for the kids"

Maybe I need new friends :) But being a crappy parent is probably my biggest fear in life, its one thing if I screw up my life, miss my flights etc but the thought of raising kids wrong and ruining their lives is scary.

I guess i'm just not mature.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Please nobody link Mesh's girl!
Don't worry, my girl is not on the internet.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
I think i'm more scared of kids than I am of marriage, it seems like a gigantic responsibility i'm not up for, at least at this stage.

Every one tells me a different story "marriage is sheer terror, but its worth it for the kids"

Maybe I need new friends :) But being a crappy parent is probably my biggest fear in life, its one thing if I screw up my life, miss my flights etc but the thought of raising kids wrong and ruining their lives is scary.

I have a different story for you.

Marriage is amazing. It is the best thing I ever did, including buying my car for a total cost so far of 3 cpm and it's still driving. I'm married already almost 5 months (admittedly a small sample size), and I'm happier every day that I am. Sure, my vacations pre-marriage were more outrageous, and I could get drunk with no oversight, and I could stay later at work without it bothering me as much--but nothing beats having a spouse you want to spend your vacations with, and who cares if you get drunk, and waits up for you when you're working late.

Maybe it's different when you're an alter bochur already. But if my friends told me marriage is sheer terror, I'd tell them they're doing it wrong.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »

You're not supposed to be looking for your bashert. Your bashert is generally going to be the person you marry. You're not supposed to make any decision based on the fact that the person might be your bashert.

I have a different story for you.

Marriage is amazing. It is the best thing I ever did, including buying my car for a total cost so far of 3 cpm and it's still driving. I'm married already almost 5 months (admittedly a small sample size), and I'm happier every day that I am. Sure, my vacations pre-marriage were more outrageous, and I could get drunk with no oversight, and I could stay later at work without it bothering me as much--but nothing beats having a spouse you want to spend your vacations with, and who cares if you get drunk, and waits up for you when you're working late.

Maybe it's different when you're an alter bochur already. But if my friends told me marriage is sheer terror, I'd tell them they're doing it wrong.
+1

I think the "different circles" we're in are the ones that every Shalom Bayis shiur talks about. In life there are givers and takers. It's generally pretty obvious who is who. People who cheat or singles that are living lifestyles that are against the Torah are pretty much automatically takers. These people can't enjoy marriage because they're in it for themselves. In addition, it's quite hard for them to even fid someone they consider a suitable mate, because they're looking for someone who will just give and give to them, with out having to give much in return.
But the average frum person is a giver. We don't give tzedaka to have a big plaque with our name on it or for yeshivish guys to whisper our names. We give for the sake of giving. But oh boy does it feel good.

When one can truly enjoy giving just for the sake of giving. When their biggest pleasure is putting a smile on someone else's face, then marriage is one of the most enjoyable experiences in life. Ahava is from the shoresh of hav (giving). The reason why many people are unhappy in marriage is that they never loved their spouse. They thought they did, but they had a big misconception of the Jewish concept of love
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:39:16 AM by Chaikel »
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »

I can't imagine any rav would deny you a heter bring on BC as long as you wish.

I mean it's quite more halachally than sleeping around.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »

The fact that you are worried about not being a good parent puts you two steps ahead of people who never thought about it/don't care.

Anyways I believe studies show that unless you actively screw your kids up, they will turn out ok.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »
The fact that you are worried about not being a good parent puts you two steps ahead of people who never thought about it/don't care.

Anyways I believe studies show that unless you actively screw your kids up, they will turn out ok.
+1 and +1
Same for the fact that you are worried about a bad marriage, the fact that you are worried puts you 2 steps ahead in the game IMO

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
I can't imagine any rav would deny you a heter bring on BC as long as you wish.

I mean it's quite more halachally than sleeping around.
True that.
But ultimately a marriage without kids is like a smartphone without data.  Just an empty shell.

Sure you can have fun for years and they will crimp your style, but it gives a fresh meaning to life.  Nobody knows how to be a perfect parent, you just do the best you can and pray that Gd takes care of the rest.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
+1 and +1
Same for the fact that you are worried about a bad marriage, the fact that you are worried puts you 2 steps ahead in the game IMO
+3
you can't let the fear be crippling though

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »
You just do the best you can and pray that Gd takes care of the rest.
+1 The Steipler said in his days that 97% of Chinuch was Tefillah.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
There are a lot of factors at play, but it feels like this whole shiduch system is some kind of marketing campaign.. where are the real people ? I dont want to look at some facade. Thats why I often lay my cards on the table, I dont see getting married as a game of poker.

You talk about having different hashkafah, yet there is a concern that the person you marry has no hashkafah, they are just a shell.

People worry about the wrong things IMHO, they care too much for health aspects that are laid out, but then they can get up and marry a controlling, abusive etc person that ends in divorce. I suppose getting divorced beats being widowed.

Thats just another reason why I wont play the shiduch game

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
My theory with kids is that at the end of the day if they grow up in a house filled with love they will be ok.
And for the most part you just want to teach your kids to be kind, self sufficient and loving.

One of the biggest problems I see now a days with young parents is just a lack of paying attention.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
One of the biggest problems I see now a days with young parents is just a lack of paying attention.
I couldn't agree more! I saw a Dad take out his 5 year old daughter for breakfast, the guy didn't get off his phone the entire time they were there.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
I am all for technology.  But people have to be paying attention enough to know when to exercise self control and put it away, or turn it off.
I think it's a big factor in the lack of paying attention problem.

:-\