Topic Wiki

FAA Links for info on using car seats:
    September 2015 advisory -
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-87C.pdf
Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

Earning mileage: Infants (who don't pay for a full ticket) are not eligible to earn miles.

Luggage: Some people report that their friend or parent flew and got lucky. However, it's best to check with the Airline (on their website or calling them), BEFORE packing your suitcases. Here are some helpful links, plus a summary of baggage allowed for lap infants.
Child paying 10% of fare can check a small suitecase up to 10kg/20lb. Child paying 50%+ of adult fare can check standard baggage allowance (one full size suitcase 23kg/50lb) both are +stroller and car seat. One carry on + booster or infant seat + pump and cooler
1 chacked bag at same rate as adults first bag + 1 stroller + 1 car seat. 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed + pump + milk cooler + (stroller??)
1 stroller + 1 carseat. carry on: diaper bag, pump, carry one size stroller, carseat
1 checked bag up to 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller 1 carseat. 1 carry on up to 13lb/6kg or a carry on size stroller
  • BA
1 checked bag 50lbs/23kg + two of the following: stroller,car/booster seat,travel cot,babyack carrier. 1 extra carryon bag.
  • ElAL
1 checked bag 50lb/23kg. 1 stroller or car seat. NO carry on. (its not like their makpid these days any way  :))
[/list]

Proof: Some airlines require proof of age. Rather bring along some kind of proof, and not get stuck because of an gate agent or TSA guard that had a bad day.

Infants are cute.

Please help with this wiki.[/list]

Author Topic: Flying with infant  (Read 220959 times)

Offline Ekay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Flying with infant
« Reply #900 on: December 15, 2019, 11:46:07 PM »
Dangerous to use an airbag seatbelt on a carseat without the extender. Definitely against their policy.
c
Can be done with extender as well.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #901 on: December 15, 2019, 11:47:07 PM »
c
Can be done with extender as well.
This is what you need to do with an airbag seatbelt, but I hard a hard time properly securing with an extender.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 21, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »
I've seen lots of posts urging to get an extra seat for an infant.

What's better: no seat for a 4 month old, flying direct to Israel, or flying with a stopover and buying an extra ticket
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 21, 2019, 08:29:23 PM »
Imo flying direct without an extra seat is 2 cons, not one.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 21, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »
Lol .so true

Offline confu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 22, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »

What's better: no seat for a 4 month old, flying direct to Israel, or flying with a stopover and buying an extra ticket
If you would rather fly direct, and the airline will give you a bassinet seat, do that.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #906 on: December 23, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »

with out bassinet id rather fly with a stop and extra seat,

Its that age where they sleep more than they annoy but its still really annoying to hold a baby for 10h
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 23, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »

Dan urges a seat for safety.

Otherwise if you’re able to get bassinet I’d def recommend flying direct.

I fly with children a lot myself & have many friends in the same situation - some who fly direct & some stopover, I’ve never heard anybody enjoy a stopover with young children more than direct besides for the savings.

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 23, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
Dan urges a seat for safety.

Otherwise if you’re able to get bassinet I’d def recommend flying direct.

I fly with children a lot myself & have many friends in the same situation - some who fly direct & some stopover, I’ve never heard anybody enjoy a stopover with young children more than direct besides for the savings.
When dealing with two year olds and older ( not infants) I've heard people say they like stopovers since its gives the kids a chance to run around for a few minutes and when they get on the second plane it takes them time till they get bored again.

Offline confu

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 24, 2019, 02:04:26 AM »
When dealing with two year olds and older ( not infants) I've heard people say they like stopovers since its gives the kids a chance to run around for a few minutes and when they get on the second plane it takes them time till they get bored again.
+1
A stopover cann switch a nightmare to sweet dreams (though ny kids seem to always fell asleep just as we are landingfor the stopover

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 24, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
+1
my twins love playing in lounges and turning over a very peaceful lounge at 7am when everyone is trying to relax ;D ;D
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 24, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »

OP was about a child under 2… Regardless I’ve heard that as well from ppl who wanted to save money - but if somebody were covering the difference they’d sing a different tune.  I’ve yet to meet somebody who flew a stopover for the sole purpose of letting their kids let out their energy.

You can’t predict what will happen with kids, I’ve had flights where they slept most of the flight & others where they slept one out of twelve. As he says -

+1
A stopover cann switch a nightmare to sweet dreams (though ny kids seem to always fell asleep just as we are landingfor the stopover

Offline confu

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 24, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
covering the difference they’d sing a different tune.  I’ve yet to meet somebody who flew a stopover for the sole purpose of letting their kids let out their energy.

allow me to introduce my wife....

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 24, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
I’ve yet to meet somebody who flew a stopover for the sole purpose of letting their kids let out their energy.

im right here ;D

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 24, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
allow me to introduce my wife....

Even with the kids falling asleep right before the stopover?!

im right here ;D

I guess we have more to discuss  ;)

Just curious how often do u guys fly a long (10+ Hour) flight with kids? Maybe you’ll change me & save me some money at the same time

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: December 24, 2019, 04:08:13 PM »

I guess we have more to discuss  ;)

Just curious how often do u guys fly a long (10+ Hour) flight with kids? Maybe you’ll change me & save me some money at the same time
so I've flown to Israel a few times and then shorter flights like EU. it makes a huge diff how old the child is and don't forget i have twins which is 1000 worse, i always try to fly red eye. so when they are 0-6m i dont think it matters they pretty much slept thru any flight.
 now once they start realizing how much fun its to fly it gets crazy.
to name a few...

i flew with them to Israel when they were  like 10m, the way there was hard they couldn't sit still, jumping around waking everyone up, we stopped in BUD and they did what babies do best and slept for 5 solid hours on the flight to TLV, now coming back, the 4h flight to CDG was crazy the stewardess was holding 1 child pretty much the whole time  ??? , we had a nice stopover they ate, jumped around, yelled, etc .. from CDG to NY was awesome.

another time we flew direct from ny to tlv , it was prob the worst flight they were walking already so they kept running around, i bought iPads, kids headphones, toys, whatever u can think of all they wanted was to run around, coming home we made a stop, the 1st flight was crazy ( there were like 15 infants aboard it was like maternity wing at Maimonides with all the kids crying, 2nd flight was much better they slept very well.

for me personally id rather stop and let the kids go crazy ( i can also relax, get some work done) then fly direct. side note i fly business 98% of the time specially with my kids. 

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #916 on: December 25, 2019, 02:31:40 AM »

Over the past 7 months we flew with our baby dozens of time and never paid for a separate seat and only once were we not able to bring the doona due to not finding two empty seats next to each other.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 25, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
It's going to be for Pesach, so I assume it'll be a very packed plane
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #918 on: January 30, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
Flying in a few weeks with my 15 month old kid. He will have his own seat. I've decided, for the first time, to take his car seat along. It's an $250+ Graco which I love.

I went to look for the sticker that says FAA approved.. only to find a red mention clearly saying that it is Not approved for use in aircrafts..

Isn't it strange that a premium car seat who be approved in cars but not in planes? I'm new to this

Offline moka

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 30, 2020, 01:57:07 PM »
It's going to be for Pesach, so I assume it'll be a very packed plane
see if you can get a bassinet seat. they will usually upgrade for free if its available.