Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1149295 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I've used AMEX return protection in the past mostly for items over $100 but I just used it to return a $40 skirt my wife bought from a store that went out of business.

In the past I've always had to fax in the receipt and then send in the item to get the refund.
This time though they just credited my account within a few days without even getting the receipt or asking for the skirt back!

This was on an SPG Consumer card

What have you used return protection for in the past, how much did it cost, what card was it on, and did they make you return the item?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MeToo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
I used it for mp3 speakers.  Didn't need to send it in.  Was less than $20, though.  On a SPG card.

I used damage protection (is that what it's called) for a camera that dropped.  They just sent me a check, without having to return the item.  Camera was about $140.  That was an AMEX Gold.  I actually had sent it in to Canon, but they wanted to charge me to fix it, because it had "evidence of being dropped", so I just told them to forget it.  Low and behold, I opened the package up, after letting it sit for a while, and it worked!

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
I used on a 100 dress my wife bought that we couldn't return also didn't even send in receipt or dress got refunded in abt 2 days

Offline karen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »
I've used AMEX return protection in the past mostly for items over $100 but I just used it to return a $40 skirt my wife bought from a store that went out of business.

In the past I've always had to fax in the receipt and then send in the item to get the refund.
This time though they just credited my account within a few days without even getting the receipt or asking for the skirt back!

This was on an SPG Consumer card

What have you used return protection for in the past, how much did it cost, what card was it on, and did they make you return the item?
I have never used Amex return protection. How does it work? Do you have to call or is there form you fill in?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
I used on a 100 dress my wife bought that we couldn't return also didn't even send in receipt or dress got refunded in abt 2 days
Nice! What card?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
I have never used Amex return protection. How does it work? Do you have to call or is there form you fill in?

http://www.htsti.com/?q=amex return protection

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
Used it on some maternity clothes for the wife and they asked us to mail them in.

Used it on a GPS and they did NOT ask us to return it.

Used it on a Bluetooth headset and they did not ask to return it.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
Used it on some maternity clothes for the wife and they asked us to mail them in.

Used it on a GPS and they did NOT ask us to return it.

Used it on a Bluetooth headset and they did not ask to return it.

Wow, seems like there's no pattern here.
What cards were those on?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
Wow, seems like there's no pattern here.
What cards were those on?
GPS was on a plat. The other 2 were spg

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
i got credited back for a broken netbook on my spg card and didnt have to send it in (although they warned me i would have to, they credited me before i had a chance to send it in)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
Used once on a $160 camera that stopped working.  They just credited my account and did not ask for the camera.  SPG consumer

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
i dont think ive ever had to send anything. cellphone, stroller, router and headphones

Offline arie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »
relating to the amex warranty extension, its probably a good idea to use a no annual fee card when buying something like a computer that you want extended warranty on. because if you need to close the card you purchased it on, you lose the warranty.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »
curious: What do they do with the stuff you send in?

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 01:03:50 AM »
i used it to fight a 475 apple charge on repairs for my laptop- so far they have not asked me to send in the repairs  ;D

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:55 AM »
i used it to fight a 475 apple charge on repairs for my laptop- so far they have not asked me to send in the repairs  ;D
thats a regular dispute?  how is that under return protection?

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »
i used it for a stolen camera lens and camera sent in a copy po report and the credit me back what i paid for the gear in 2008
this was on the plat

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
This seems to have turned into a thread of Warranty protection, Purchase protection, and dispute (chargeback) resolution...

I was really just curious about other experiences with return protection.  I've always had to return the items in the past but this was the first time I didnt.

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
i bought a laptop in january on a spg consumer, and i've had a couple problems with it and i sent it in to lenovo twice and they haven't fixed it.
i want to contact amex about this, but under what benefit am i claiming? purchase, return or warranty?
also what can i expect from them? a refund?