Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 23966 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
A toy is all fun and games until it decides to do something unpredictable on a 3 day YT... I prefer controlling things myself.

Toy is probably not far off the mark. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the convenience of the home automation - not just for Shabbos/YT, but also during the week. But I also hate the idea of fragmentation. While we have things like Wink, Smarthings, and Homekit, etc. to consolidate controls, they really are a hodgepodge of technologies. I'm sure that eventually I'd be able to settle on a single EcoSystem, but at what expense? At this point I am not going to replace all of my lights, themostats, etc.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:31 PM »
Toy is probably not far off the mark. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the convenience of the home automation - not just for Shabbos/YT, but also during the week. But I also hate the idea of fragmentation. While we have things like Wink, Smarthings, and Homekit, etc. to consolidate controls, they really are a hodgepodge of technologies. I'm sure that eventually I'd be able to settle on a single EcoSystem, but at what expense? At this point I am not going to replace all of my lights, themostats, etc.
Everything I have so far, I can use Alexa for. Havenít found it to be a hodgepodge.

Offline ckuttner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2019, 05:02:53 PM »
I'd like to follow up on the post quoted below.

We have a locally-monitored alarm system. Weekdays, it is a door-entry, house-intrusion, and fire alarm system. Motion sensors light up when we walk within the house, a light comes on on the panel when we open an outside door, etc. Before Shabbos, I unplug the AC to the alarm and disconnect the backup battery. Motzeh Shabbos, I hook it back up.
    Sometimes I have to deal with an error message as the battery recharges. In addition, we have no remotely-monitored fire alarm on Shabbos.

I'd like to have a system that is professionally monitored; for example, if we're visiting elsewhere on a Shabbos, I'd like someone to call the police if there's a break-in, or the fire dept. if there's a fire.

And we're not really eager to have Google+ or Alexa monitoring our lives. I have been pretty happy with our current alarm company but they don't really want me to modify our panel.
   I'm wondering about options including Xfinity Home [we already have them as our ISP] or SimpliSafe. Do either of those provide options for changed monitoring over Shabbos?
  Thanks in advance...
ck

Does anybody know of a smart alarm system that can be set on a timer so it works friday night?

I have been reading through the forums and it seems like everyone's solution for Shabbos is to disable their security systems and cameras over Shabbos. I want to be able to have the alarm set for Friday night (probably midnight to 6am). Is there a smart security system that allows this?

I am in the market for a security system and want to know what people do for Shabbos if they are interested in securing their home over Friday night. I currently have Frontpoint but want to get rid of it before the 30 day cancellation period is up and I get locked into a contract. Been thinking about getting Ring. TIA!

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »
I just started using simplisafe. What I did was:
1. Soldered LED indicator on entry sensors. The sensors still work, but do not flash a light
2. Made a simple .exe that turns most sensors (aside for glass break and windows that I dont open) off every Friday @ 4pm, and back on after shabbos
(the .exe logs into my account at that time and presses the button for that action).

So far, so good :).

With this setup, you can time it to be on overnight. However, if for whatever reason your computer shuts off, it may fail to turn off putting you in a sticky situation. You can always have a backup computer just in case set for a few minutes later and can set retries.