Topic Wiki

Donate here.
[i mg]http://crownheights.info/assets/media/featured/20081229-121.jpg[/img]
« Last edited by yesitsme on July 18, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »

Author Topic: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL  (Read 105869 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL, People Still Missing
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2021, 09:31:51 PM »
Why is the list important, if they are off by 10 or not?
Very important for the rescuers.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2021, 09:37:38 PM »
Why is the list important, if they are off by 10 or not? If someone has family there, they are well aware who is missing and who is not, and how many times they are missing.
The only thing that matters now is why the work is not progressing quick enough.

Maybe I've seen too many shows. To me, the logical way to conduct a SAR would be to have a diagram of the building, with a detailed accounting of who was supposed to be in each unit. This helps the SAR units to have a better idea of what or who to expect where, and helps focus the search to areas where people may be found.

You're right: none of that changes the fact that the search is going excruciatingly slowly. I agree that it's not progressing quick enough for us waiting for good news, but it may be going as fast as it can possibly go.

Why it matters here? I can't lift the rubble. I can't help people I care about in any meaningful way. I'm pretty much helpless, just like the rest of you. But if I can help audit a list to get accurate information which may help in the rescue efforts, that matters to me. It's something I can do.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2021, 09:43:27 PM »
Maybe it's moving extremely quickly and the reason why there aren't many people being found is because there weren't many people in the building?

That's why a list could be important.
So all the names from the Shul were just fakely posted?

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2021, 09:44:10 PM »
Maybe I've seen too many shows. To me, the logical way to conduct a SAR would be to have a diagram of the building, with a detailed accounting of who was supposed to be in each unit. This helps the SAR units to have a better idea of what or who to expect where, and helps focus the search to areas where people may be found.

The Israeli team put together a rendering showing the building with the victims as they believed it to be at 1:30AM, and then the collapse and where the occupants are believed to have landed. They showed this to the families to explain how the search is being conducted.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2021, 09:46:28 PM »
So all the names from the Shul were just fakely posted?

No one is saying that anyone is making anything up. There were duplicates on that list, and some have been found. I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend. Do you not agree that accuracy is important here?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
The Israeli team put together a rendering showing the building with the victims as they believed it to be at 1:30AM, and then the collapse and where the occupants are believed to have landed. They showed this to the families to explain how the search is being conducted.

How many people did they have in their rendering?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2021, 09:50:41 PM »
How many people did they have in their rendering?
I don't know, but they know that some units were unoccupied, so I'm dismayed at this need for an audit. Did they place 6 people in a unit that had 3?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
I think it's time for the authorities to bring in the big guns.

@biobook @TimT

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2021, 09:53:38 PM »
I don't know, but they know that some were unoccupied, so I'm dismayed at this need for an audit. Did they place 6 people in a unit that had 3?

There were 55 units, and some were empty. Some also only had 1 or 2 people inside. I'm really not sure how they got over 160. These are condos in Surfside... there's a limit to how many people are in each unit.

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2021, 09:55:36 PM »
disclaimer; cannot vouch or take responsibility for accuracy..
https://twitter.com/tre0808/status/1410005530391760900

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2021, 09:58:02 PM »

Duplicates on that list, too.

ETA: also looks like there are names missing.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 29, 2021, 09:58:32 PM »
This doesn't add up with the audit. If they have information detailed enough to know who was where how would they be dealing with duplicate names?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 29, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
I think it's time for the authorities to bring in the big guns.

@biobook @TimT
I started compiling a list, but I got sidetracked reading up on each one. Little kids & even babies. :'(

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 29, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
I can see duplicates on this list, and it "only" has 126 names.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 29, 2021, 10:01:46 PM »
This doesn't add up with the audit. If they have information detailed enough to know who was where how would they be dealing with duplicate names?
Hence my dismay. I'd have thought if they went through the trouble of putting this together, they'd check the facts.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 29, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
I would assume that authorities have liaisons who speak to the families, and their list is complied from them. I would assume it's more accurate than the media's lists that seem to be just names put together from multiple sources.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 29, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »
I would assume that authorities have liaisons who speak to the families, and their list is complied from them. I would assume it's more accurate than the media's lists that seem to be just names put together from multiple sources.

The names aren't only from family members. Friends have called in names, and some from other countries. Additionally, info from a "family member" isn't always accurate. Furthermore, what happens when someone called people in as missing and then they turned up? Is anyone checking to make sure they are taken off the list?

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 29, 2021, 10:20:16 PM »
I can see duplicates on this list, and it "only" has 126 names.
this list has been put together by an amateur from multiple sources. It includes 122 names, some duplicates and at least 3 people that are alive. I assume the officials are dealing directly with the families looking for their loved ones and should have more accurate info (I would hope).

I would hope official went thru the list of who owns the condos, who was supposed to be there, put that together with who has been reported missing to them and worked from there, not by reading articles from the Miami Herald and USA Today.

Additionally while some of the missing are being reported in the media I would assume some families shy away from the media attention and you might not find their names on the media lists.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 29, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
this list has been put together by an amateur from multiple sources. It includes 122 names, some duplicates and at least 3 people that are alive. I assume the officials are dealing directly with the families looking for their loved ones and should have more accurate info (I would hope).

I would hope official went thru the list of who owns the condos, who was supposed to be there, put that together with who has been reported missing to them and worked from there, not by reading articles from the Miami Herald and USA Today.

Additionally while some of the missing are being reported in the media I would assume some families shy away from the media attention and you might not find their names on the media lists.

You can assume from today until tomorrow, but when the official numbers being given at every press conference somehow match the numbers on the lists we know aren't accurate... too much of a coincidence for me.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
You can assume from today until tomorrow, but when the official numbers being given at every press conference somehow match the numbers on the lists we know aren't accurate... too much of a coincidence for me.
And now that they officially announced an audit, we know that they don't know...