Author Topic: Next Vacation - Ideas  (Read 1148614 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Next Vacation - Ideas
« Reply #6560 on: May 16, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »
Thinking of a national park trip this summer, Sunday-Thursday.

Kids are 2-11, so not going to be doing any major hiking.

Arches+Bryce+Zion?
Yellowstone+Tetons?
Yellowstone+Glacier?
Or?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dansdealsfan5

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: May 16, 2023, 03:32:15 PM »
Hey Dan,

Here's my chance to possibly "pay you back" for all our great summer. We have been going yearly with kids aged 2-11 on Sunday-Thursday national park trips. Here are some brief ideas. Feel free to pm for more details.

1) Vail / Avon / Beaver Creek - Sunday arrive go for pizza @ Brooklyn Pizza, possibly stop at Mt. Evans on the way or Mary Glacier (personally I got altitude sickness but most dont) or just take it easy on the mountain. Monday Glenwood Caverns (https://www.glenwoodcaverns.com/park-info/tickets/) half the price of vail mountain with lots more to do and gorgeous drive, kids will love it. Tuesday - drive back out west and go whitewater rafting (we went here - https://www.raftingcolorado.com/ - we took turns watching the baby as they give you 2 rounds - or get a babysitter) and/or ziplining. On the way back we did the Hanging Lake hike - it's gorgeous but needs a permit now so hurry and get one. Wednesday - we drove all the way to Aspen and did some hikes along the way and had some snow fun in late August. Not sure I'd do the long drive again. Thursday - 2 hour downhill biking of Vail pass. A shuttle will drive you up and you can bike down. Lots of places tell you it's too dangerous to start with the child trailer at the first hour but I'd disagree. Find a place that will let your child come. And then it's time to head back to Denver for lupper at Brooklyn Pizza or elsewhere. Enjoy!

Piney Ranch seems like it might be an interesting place to check out. And there's tons more stuff to add in or swap with Vail as your base camp. Plus chabad has minyanim and food - though grilling your own food will be a lot cheaper.

2) Yellowstone & Grand Teton - will try to write details later.
3) Lake Tahoe (+ Yosemite) - will try to write details later.

4) Glacier National Park (+Idaho) - Don't try to do Glacier with Yellowstone - there just isn't time for both. Stick to one park. Personally we did Glacier over a shabbos - Rabbi Shneur Wolf @ Chabad of the Flathead Valley graciously hosted us for meals. We based ourselves out of the flathead valley - which is only 45-60 minutes from the park. Arrived monday eve. Tuesday did Whitefish Mountain Gondola & Adventure Park (https://skiwhitefish.com/). Wednesday did going to the sun road (545am early wakeup required plus advance permits). Parked at Logan Pass and did the Hidden Lake hike. Then..... TBC

5) RMNP - will try to write details later.
6) Crater Lake - will try to write details later.

Arizona & Utah are too hot IMHO.

(I'd send you to Kauai - but you dont need my help on that:)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 03:50:41 PM by dansdealsfan5 »

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: May 17, 2023, 04:32:12 PM »
Looking to go to Italy or france in the summer with a baby. Anyone have ideas of a place to stay shabbos with eruv to chabbad or a kosher hotel?
Venice has a Eiruv or there are loads of kosher hotels in French alps in the summer and one in the dolomites in Italy

Offline Tzvi687

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA silver,HH Diamand ,Hertz pc,National ee,
« Reply #6563 on: May 17, 2023, 08:00:39 PM »
Venice has a Eiruv or there are loads of kosher hotels in French alps in the summer and one in the dolomites in Italy

Can you post or dm me the names or websites please.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: May 17, 2023, 08:44:51 PM »
Looking for a 2 day trip away from NY (fly out of JFK or LGA). Leaving Sunday morning (isru chag) and come back late Monday night or Tuesday morning (wife would like to be back for her 1:00 job on Tuesday). We never went anywhere aside from MIA/FLL so pretty much any place within 4-5hours would work. BH we're able to leave the kids behind (the pleasures of having responsible older kids.....). Was thinking Vegas but my wife thinks it may be too long of a flight for such a short visit (personally, I go to Miami for 1/2 day every year and even flew to EY with less than 24 hours on the ground). Maybe Chicago? Any other good ideas?

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: May 17, 2023, 10:19:23 PM »
Looking for a 2 day trip away from NY (fly out of JFK or LGA). Leaving Sunday morning (isru chag) and come back late Monday night or Tuesday morning (wife would like to be back for her 1:00 job on Tuesday). We never went anywhere aside from MIA/FLL so pretty much any place within 4-5hours would work. BH we're able to leave the kids behind (the pleasures of having responsible older kids.....). Was thinking Vegas but my wife thinks it may be too long of a flight for such a short visit (personally, I go to Miami for 1/2 day every year and even flew to EY with less than 24 hours on the ground). Maybe Chicago? Any other good ideas?

I would say Panama but 2 days is a bit short. Montreal is nice and close.

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: May 17, 2023, 10:45:22 PM »
What about SanJuan? Looks like I could get tickets for as cheap as ~$300/pp. Is that a decent spot? Hotel options? Activities? We would be taking an early Sunday morning flight (5:00), landing before 9:00am and leaving early Tuesday morning. Is that enough time?

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: May 17, 2023, 10:49:48 PM »
I would say Panama but 2 days is a bit short. Montreal is nice and close.
Yeh, Panama seems a little too far.
Is Montreal nice this time of year? What's there to do? How convenient is the airport-hotel? Not interested in sitting in a cab for an hour.

Offline Chuck2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United, Hertz, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC
« Reply #6568 on: May 18, 2023, 06:10:33 AM »
Looking to get away with 4 kids, ages 12,9,5 & 6 months. From a Thursday-Tuesday. What would be a good vacation idea that’s not more than a five hour flight from the tristate area & child friendly. Would need to be near a shul on Friday-Shabbos & an Eruv is a plus.
:-)

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: May 18, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »
Looking to get away with 4 kids, ages 12,9,5 & 6 months. From a Thursday-Tuesday. What would be a good vacation idea that’s not more than a five hour flight from the tristate area & child friendly. Would need to be near a shul on Friday-Shabbos & an Eruv is a plus.
Orlando or San Diego (La Jolla has an eiruv and the marriot residence inn is perfect for families ,especially their 2 floor suites and the hotel is very generous with complimentary upgrades)

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: May 18, 2023, 08:56:21 AM »
Bahamas.

Offline moishes

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
« Reply #6571 on: May 18, 2023, 09:32:34 AM »

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: May 18, 2023, 10:03:41 AM »

If you like Florida but want something other than Miami you could try the Florida Keys -  IE Key Largo, key west, Etc

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6573 on: May 18, 2023, 10:09:50 AM »
Hey Dan,

Here's my chance to possibly "pay you back" for all our great summer. We have been going yearly with kids aged 2-11 on Sunday-Thursday national park trips. Here are some brief ideas. Feel free to pm for more details.

1) Vail / Avon / Beaver Creek - Sunday arrive go for pizza @ Brooklyn Pizza, possibly stop at Mt. Evans on the way or Mary Glacier (personally I got altitude sickness but most dont) or just take it easy on the mountain. Monday Glenwood Caverns (https://www.glenwoodcaverns.com/park-info/tickets/) half the price of vail mountain with lots more to do and gorgeous drive, kids will love it. Tuesday - drive back out west and go whitewater rafting (we went here - https://www.raftingcolorado.com/ - we took turns watching the baby as they give you 2 rounds - or get a babysitter) and/or ziplining. On the way back we did the Hanging Lake hike - it's gorgeous but needs a permit now so hurry and get one. Wednesday - we drove all the way to Aspen and did some hikes along the way and had some snow fun in late August. Not sure I'd do the long drive again. Thursday - 2 hour downhill biking of Vail pass. A shuttle will drive you up and you can bike down. Lots of places tell you it's too dangerous to start with the child trailer at the first hour but I'd disagree. Find a place that will let your child come. And then it's time to head back to Denver for lupper at Brooklyn Pizza or elsewhere. Enjoy!

Piney Ranch seems like it might be an interesting place to check out. And there's tons more stuff to add in or swap with Vail as your base camp. Plus chabad has minyanim and food - though grilling your own food will be a lot cheaper.

2) Yellowstone & Grand Teton - will try to write details later.
3) Lake Tahoe (+ Yosemite) - will try to write details later.

4) Glacier National Park (+Idaho) - Don't try to do Glacier with Yellowstone - there just isn't time for both. Stick to one park. Personally we did Glacier over a shabbos - Rabbi Shneur Wolf @ Chabad of the Flathead Valley graciously hosted us for meals. We based ourselves out of the flathead valley - which is only 45-60 minutes from the park. Arrived monday eve. Tuesday did Whitefish Mountain Gondola & Adventure Park (https://skiwhitefish.com/). Wednesday did going to the sun road (545am early wakeup required plus advance permits). Parked at Logan Pass and did the Hidden Lake hike. Then..... TBC

5) RMNP - will try to write details later.
6) Crater Lake - will try to write details later.

Arizona & Utah are too hot IMHO.

(I'd send you to Kauai - but you dont need my help on that:)

Preference between Glacier and Yellowstone/Tetons with that age range?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dansdealsfan5

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: May 18, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »
Preference between Glacier and Yellowstone/Tetons with that age range?

I think Glacier:

1) For Glacier you can stay in one hotel the entire time (in Kalispell). Whereas in Yellowstone & Teton you would need 2 hotel stays. Also, overall, much less driving in Glacier.
2) At Glacier you can spend a day at Whitefish mountain which would give the kids a fun day of dedicated kid stuff. In Yellowstone/Teton it pretty much all nature (there is one near Jackson Hole but I'm pretty sure there wasn't as much for the kids).

Just one caveat, we always had 2 or more adult relatives that joined us and helped with the kids / rotating babysitting during an adult activity (zip lining / whitewater rafting etc). If you go just as couple with 5 kids 2-11 you will be much more limited. It's still better than nothing but......

IMHO Vail is the easiest option but Glacier is definitely more unique.

I still need to write more details in my previous post...... I'd be glad to answer any specific questions or you can call me - I am very happy to help!

Offline Shmueli

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: May 21, 2023, 05:04:07 PM »
Thinking of a national park trip this summer, Sunday-Thursday.

Kids are 2-11, so not going to be doing any major hiking.

Arches+Bryce+Zion?
Yellowstone+Tetons?
Yellowstone+Glacier?
Or?
All good options. I would say Arches + Bryce + Zion is probably better with kids...

This is a bit off the beaten path but spectacular, easier to fly to and from, and may be easier with kids... - Fly to Seattle - Olympic National Park / Forest - Mount Rainier National Park - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (Google it. It's insane) - Fly out of Portland.

Offline Moshe26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: May 23, 2023, 12:46:35 PM »
DW has upcoming milestone bday and Id like to take her to one of those "once in a lifetime" vacations (haven't been alone on vacation in many years). Main issue is that I only have 5 day Sat night/Sunday- Fri and shabbos is early in Nov.

I booked Conrad MLE but J availability isn't opening up so I need to pivot to a secondary plan.

Any recommendations?

Offline ChayaS23

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: May 23, 2023, 11:16:54 PM »
We're looking to go away and only time that works out for us for the next foreseeable future is the within the first two weeks of June. When we go away, it's usually to Surfside where we laze around by the beach and walk to the dozens of kosher restaurants down the block. Ideally we'd love something like that just not in FL. Was considering Cancun but not getting straight answers as to whether or not there are guaranteed minyanim there in the beginning of June, and minyan is a non-negotiable item for DH. Is there any other place that has guaranteed minyanim during the week (not just shabbos), some kosher food options, and really scenic and good for just hanging out in beautiful weather or taking walks? Coming from NJ, prefer not to travel too far but open to all options at this point. And not a desert-like place that will be too hot to want to venture outside (was considering Palm Springs, CA until it was pointed out to me how hot it gets there in June).

Offline Aviw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: May 23, 2023, 11:23:00 PM »
How about Panama?

Offline ChayaS23

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: May 23, 2023, 11:55:35 PM »
How about Panama?

Is it scenic? Safe? And no issues with finding a minyan?