Topic Wiki

Donate here.
[i mg]http://crownheights.info/assets/media/featured/20081229-121.jpg[/img]
« Last edited by yesitsme on July 18, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »

Author Topic: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL  (Read 106264 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL, People Still Missing
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2021, 12:57:54 PM »
From the pressers sounds like it’s Miami-Dade fire rescue still in charge & all the other experts from state, federal, national, & now international are on standby waiting for the chief to call on them if he thinks there’s a need. I’m surprised state or federal hasn’t wrested it away from them. If Miami Dade has never dealt with such a situation before then let others who have greater expertise lead it. Experts from New York come to mind.

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
From the pressers sounds like it’s Miami-Dade fire rescue still in charge & all the other experts from state, federal, national, & now international are on standby waiting for the chief to call on them if he thinks there’s a need. I’m surprised state or federal hasn’t wrested it away from them. If Miami Dade has never dealt with such a situation before then let others who have greater expertise lead it. Experts from New York come to mind.
If that's the case it seems truly negligent. Step aside and let the big boys deal with it.

Online UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
maybe there are valid reasons why they dont do more then again 'experts' may not be willing to allow risks that family and friends would be willing take. question why is there 1 crane? Is there a reason they cannot have 10 or 20 cranes moving large chunks of concrete? Its ok to question, lives are at stake!
https://twitter.com/MiamiDadeFire/status/1409128834918666246?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1409128834918666246%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FMiamiDadeFire2Fstatus2F1409128834918666246widget%3DTweet

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2021, 01:10:12 PM »
Local fireman are making a fortune in overtime right now, and if anyone doesn't think that's a factor in not giving up the reins to this, they are being naïve IMO.

Not commenting on whether anyone else is better suited for this or another approach would save more lives etc or not.

On another note, I went to the site Friday night, there were lots of people praying, bringing food for workers, tons of emergency vehicles for blocks, and of course media.

The building was still smoking a lot at the time, active fire hoses on it. And it smelled like a crematorium to me. Awful awful smell.

Surfside is one of the craziest most strict cities when it comes to building codes and following rules. I had a police come to my door because my gardener used a gas leaf blower against regulation. I tried to install a generator for medical purposes and it took 10 months to get a permit. Neighbors door broke, tried to replace it, got a ticket while replacing it because they didn't file for a permit. etc etc. They are awful to deal with and crazy strict. And now it's coming out they had reports about this building and did seemingly nothing, I hope everyone responsible is brought to full justice.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2021, 01:13:32 PM »
Local fireman are making a fortune in overtime right now, and if anyone doesn't think that's a factor in not giving up the reins to this, they are being naïve IMO.
Very upsetting. Why don’t state or federal just move in ?

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2021, 01:16:20 PM »
It’s foolish because it’s a fools game to think that experts can approach the rubble, completely understand and assess the situation within seconds, and do everything as perfectly as possible without risking any further lives. So you’re watching them and wondering why do they need to think, why does it have to be deliberate, and you criticize because you are not the one sending in dozens or hundreds of rescue workers that are at extreme risk of death if you didn’t properly think the situation through, or continually asses the situation based on new info coming through. 
I was not mitigating the risk but many times petty cheshbonos can affect decisions, after all I don't know of any politician who learns Mesilas Yesharim. For example if one is a Republican and does not except immediatly help from Fema (not that I know that this was the case) from a Democratic President. The bottom line that this is why advocating and going to the press sometimes expedites the process. To think that everyone is always doing everything they can IMHO is naive.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2021, 01:20:38 PM »
I was not mitigating the risk but many times petty cheshbonos can affect decisions, after all I don't know of any politician who learns Mesilas Yesharim. For example if one is a Republican and does not except immediatly help from Fema (not that I know that this was the case) from a Democratic President. The bottom line that this is why advocating and going to the press sometimes expedites the process. To think that everyone is always doing everything they can IMHO is naive.

Can’t fault family members for doing everything they can to make sure the situation gets the attention it needs and the best people for the job on-site ASAP.

At the same time I wouldn’t want someone like that years down the road to wish they had done more (or to wish the people in charge had done more) to make for a better outcome, that’s a heavy burden to carry.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »
If that's the case it seems truly negligent. Step aside and let the big boys deal with it.

My understanding, and I certainly may be wrong, is that there is no FEMA SAR team stationed somewhere waiting to deploy. When a local agency requests assistance from FEMA, the federal government mobilizes a predetermined trained SAR team that serves that area. In Florida there are 2 SAR teams that are associated with FEMA. Guess who they are.... Miami Dade Fire Rescue and City of Miami Fire Dept.

https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/national-preparedness/frameworks/urban-search-rescue/task-force-locations

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
Can’t fault family members for doing everything they can to make sure the situation gets the attention it needs and the best people for the job on-site ASAP.
Keep in mind they’ve been told at every possible moment that it’s most definitely a search & rescue effort, of course there could still be survivors, they hear noises, etc. Now it’s becoming painfully obvious that unless someone managed to stay comfortably in bed with food, water, & oxygen there likely won’t be any survivors.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »
Keep in mind they’ve been told at every possible moment that it’s most definitely a search & rescue effort, of course there could still be survivors, they hear noises, etc. Now it’s becoming painfully obvious that unless someone managed to stay comfortably in bed with food, water, & oxygen there likely won’t be any survivors.

Those two statements/scenarios don’t seem mutually exclusive to me.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2021, 02:19:43 PM »
Tallahassee Fire Department's USAR Team is headed over to assist.
https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/5364859001

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
You're  reading my mind
["-"]

Offline TimT

• View Profile

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »
My understanding, and I certainly may be wrong, is that there is no FEMA SAR team stationed somewhere waiting to deploy. When a local agency requests assistance from FEMA, the federal government mobilizes a predetermined trained SAR team that serves that area. In Florida there are 2 SAR teams that are associated with FEMA. Guess who they are.... Miami Dade Fire Rescue and City of Miami Fire Dept.

https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/national-preparedness/frameworks/urban-search-rescue/task-force-locations
So you believe NJSP can handle this? Hard to believe
["-"]

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2021, 02:36:20 PM »
So you believe NJSP can handle this? Hard to believe
Why is it so hard to believe that they have a team trained? There is BH not enough work for a team to be sitting around just for this.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
["-"]

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
Israeli crews are not being allowed to assist - but of course I am being told to think that everything possible is being done.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9728761/Emotional-mom-blasts-DeSantis-Miami-condo-rescue-effort-not-moving-fast-enough.html

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2021, 02:42:36 PM »
In a way this is worse than a third world country because they at least except help from others.

Online UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
I saw this Im sure the crew there is working non stop but its hard to believe that more can't be done eg. more cranes to move large amounts of debris off site faster.
https://twitter.com/Yochidonn/status/1409206058912993281