Author Topic: Intel 12th gen laptop processors  (Read 3352 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Intel 12th gen laptop processors
« on: November 16, 2022, 10:50:51 AM »
Hi, everyone.
I have a free of charge gemach helping people buy computers (advice on both what to buy and where to find the best price) going on 15 years now. Although I deal with 50-100 people a year, I still don't have enough experience in some narrow use-cases. Also, it is often hard to get information on brand-new hardware.
I have a specific question that I have been trying to get real-world data on. If any member can provide their experiences, I would be grateful (as would the people I offer advice to). Reviews from the computer magazines have been almost universal in their claim that Intel 12th gen processors A: run hot, and therefore throttle quicker, particularly on the P, H and HX suffixes - AND B: achieve greater power over their AMD rivals but at the cost of battery life. Mind, no writer has emphasized this - but reviews I read almost always check these boxes.
If anyone owns a laptop with 12th gen Intel processors, can they post regarding their real-world battery life and if their laptops seem to run hot?
Much appreciated.

PS Laptop purchase advice available, obviously, though it seems like Dansdeals members have you covered already. PM me. 
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 66
    • View Profile
Re: Intel 12th gen laptop processors
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 07:49:23 PM »
Your specifically referring to laptop processors?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 12:00:27 AM »
Hi, everyone.
I have a free of charge gemach helping people buy computers (advice on both what to buy and where to find the best price) going on 15 years now.
PS Laptop purchase advice available, obviously, though it seems like Dansdeals members have you covered already. PM me.
Nice. Any other way to contact you for help? (I dont have a 12 gen intel, sorry)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 09:18:21 AM »
Your specifically referring to laptop processors?

Yes. The reports from the desktop arena complain only about electricity use. Either way, I don't specialize in that area.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 09:12:26 AM »
So no one has responded to this.
Yet the correlation I had observed continues. I am surprised that the tech journalists have not come to the same conclusion I did: namely, that manufacturers severely underestimated the cooling needs for the Intel 12th gen.
This article was published today, and it contains a collection of tested 12th gen laptop results. These results support my thesis.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/cpu-confusion-made-buying-a-laptop-in-2022-a-nightmare/

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 09:24:01 AM »
So no one has responded to this.
Sometimes on DDF it works better to post on an existing thread where the people who have notifications turened on for that thread might be able to help you, rather than starting a new thread and hoping that someoene who sees it will help you. In this case, I'd say that even if it's not 100% the same topic, I'd post here, here or here and one of DDF's techies may respond.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »
Sometimes on DDF it works better to post on an existing thread where the people who have notifications turened on for that thread might be able to help you, rather than starting a new thread and hoping that someoene who sees it will help you. In this case, I'd say that even if it's not 100% the same topic, I'd post here, here or here and one of DDF's techies may respond.
Good point. Thanks!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 25K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 09:38:29 AM »

Maybe link to this topic so the discussion of this specific issue stays here?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 09:42:58 AM »
I recently bought an LG Gram on a whopper deal at the time from Costco. It was shortly before the 12th gen processors were released and at first I thought perhaps I should’ve waited.

But like you said, the 12th gens reportedly run hotter and have shorter battery lives. The way I’m using my 11th gen Gram I don’t have any performance issues, I find it to be zippy and efficient and the battery life is amazing. So while I don’t have any extensive data, I’d say someone who’s on a budget who won’t be using their laptop for anything processor-intensive should be okay with an 11th gen.

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »
I recently bought an LG Gram on a whopper deal at the time from Costco. It was shortly before the 12th gen processors were released and at first I thought perhaps I should’ve waited.

But like you said, the 12th gens reportedly run hotter and have shorter battery lives. The way I’m using my 11th gen Gram I don’t have any performance issues, I find it to be zippy and efficient and the battery life is amazing. So while I don’t have any extensive data, I’d say someone who’s on a budget who won’t be using their laptop for anything processor-intensive should be okay with an 11th gen.
Yup, bought the same piece and love it.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 10:14:20 AM »

The Gram is an excellent computer with 11th gen. Facts as they are, 12th gen doesn't make for a convincing buy.
I've been telling anyone without weird use-cases to buy 11th gen. It isn't like there is anything wrong with them... And for luxury buyers, anything with an Evo rating should be great.
Agav, I was unable to talk one fellow out of buying a Gram with a 12th gen processor. I'm still waiting for feedback from him. We'll see...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 10:16:30 AM »
The Gram is an excellent computer with 11th gen. Facts as they are, 12th gen doesn't make for a convincing buy.
I've been telling anyone without weird use-cases to buy 11th gen. It isn't like there is anything wrong with them... And for luxury buyers, anything with an Evo rating should be great.
Agav, I was unable to talk one fellow out of buying a Gram with a 12th gen processor. I'm still waiting for feedback from him. We'll see...

The Gram is likely a powerhouse with 12th gen as well, albeit with the shortcomings we discussed. Idk about 12th gen, but the 11th Gen has dismal speakers, one of my main gripes with the laptop. That and LG “drivers” bloatware that’s annoying and buggy.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »
The Gram is likely a powerhouse with 12th gen as well, albeit with the shortcomings we discussed. Idk about 12th gen, but the 11th Gen has dismal speakers, one of my main gripes with the laptop. That and LG “drivers” bloatware that’s annoying and buggy.
It may be a powerhouse, but the use case will either be not needed (but you get the shortcomings anyway) or not enough (because it doesn't provide enough juice for serious tasks). People who need to max out a low-power processor usually bought the wrong computer.
Speaking from scanning several laptop reviews every day, it seems rare that reviewers like any laptop speakers. You do get decent ones on occasion, but the reviewers usually advise using headphones... Have you owned a laptop with decent speakers before?
EDIT- Though reviewers love to complain and are exposed to $5000 laptops too, so sodium-chloride added.
If the bloatware is advertised as being fundamentally needed for the laptop (ie "Don't you dare uninstall this important drivers update program"), that is a real issue.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 11:19:50 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022, 12:25:06 PM »
It may be a powerhouse, but the use case will either be not needed (but you get the shortcomings anyway) or not enough (because it doesn't provide enough juice for serious tasks). People who need to max out a low-power processor usually bought the wrong computer.
Speaking from scanning several laptop reviews every day, it seems rare that reviewers like any laptop speakers. You do get decent ones on occasion, but the reviewers usually advise using headphones... Have you owned a laptop with decent speakers before?
EDIT- Though reviewers love to complain and are exposed to $5000 laptops too, so sodium-chloride added.
If the bloatware is advertised as being fundamentally needed for the laptop (ie "Don't you dare uninstall this important drivers update program"), that is a real issue.

All my laptops so far had better speakers for their day:
Dell Latitude L100? (Don’t remember, it was ancient)
Dell 700m
Dell 1330m
Sony Z 13
LG Gram 15

It’s pretty bad if you can’t watch a video and can’t make out all words being spoken unless the volume is turned way up.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2022, 01:52:52 PM »
It’s pretty bad if you can’t watch a video and can’t make out all words being spoken unless the volume is turned way up.
That is pretty bad.
My list is as follows:
Some Vostro, the first ever one with the name - okay speakers for loudness but distorted without headphones
Asus netbook - weak
Asus UJ43 - strong but only when it was on a hard surface (had interesting down-pointed speakers)
Lenovo Flex3 - don't ask
Asus Zenbook UX430UA - weak
Acer Aspire 7 A715-52G - loud enough, barely, but not if there is background noise
Asus Zephyrus GA502IU - Excellent and loud
Acer Swift X - very not loud enough
Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro - Excellent in every way, much clearer than the Zephyrus but doesn't go as loud.

So I stopped taking good sound for granted and appreciate it when I get it.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »
Any insights on Microsoft Surface Pro as a laptop replacement?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
Any insights on Microsoft Surface Pro as a laptop replacement?
I love mine but it depends on your use case
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2022, 02:53:08 PM »
I love mine but it depends on your use case

Which version?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 03:50:43 PM »
Which version?
Surface Pro 7 i5 128GB 8gb RAM
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 08:47:45 PM »

There was a good deal on the LG Gram with 12 gen i7. But looking at the reviews it seemed to run hot, so I passed.