Topic Wiki

I’d be wary though, [Kehos has] been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
Yada yada yada

It’s pretty clear that my op was unnecessarily incendiary and provocative, it also did not account for who was קהת in that timeframe (which I had been unaware).
Because I brought it up I should say this: It’s clear that the allegations about the כתבי יד are unsubstantiated, and are thus conspiratorial.

« Last edited by Dan on January 13, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »

Author Topic: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery  (Read 49830 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2023, 02:01:34 PM »
You are so proving my point.
I have no problem with you thinking this way, I ask that you understand that others do not.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2023, 02:02:56 PM »
You are so proving my point.

Typing on my phone resulted in incomplete sentences, which I corrected now. I'm not sure how exactly you think I am proving your point, when all I am doing is rephrasing your question using slightly different sentences so that you might realize what YOU seem to be arguing.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2023, 02:07:00 PM »
Typing on my phone resulted in incomplete sentences, which I corrected now. I'm not sure how exactly you think I am proving your point, when all I am doing is rephrasing your question using slightly different sentences so that you might realize what YOU seem to be arguing.
You are comparing me believing that the story in the Rebbes family which he undoubtedly accepted as true as potentially untrue, to not trusting the mesorah of chazal.
That’s like saying I need to believe in the Golem of Prague.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2023, 02:15:27 PM »
Asking if someone is a Lubavitcher without context is stam yenteshaft. Asking if someone is a rov known to pasken according to minhag Chabad, or something along the lines of *actual* information you are actually looking for is an honest question.

To turn around after repeating accusations in a very much not asking way and say "it's because you guys wouldn't answer me otherwise" when there are pages and pages on this forum purely about discussions *you* instigated is stunningly arrogant and rude.
I agree that I’ve overstepped, and I apologize.
That being said, if you look through those threads, they consist of me warding of attacks like this, as if somehow to believe Chabad made a mistake is heretical.
So yes, I could ask honestly “what do you have to say about Rabbi Mazuzs argumen”t, but no doubt I’ll be accused yet again of heretically thinking they may be true.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2023, 02:27:12 PM »
I agree that I’ve overstepped, and I apologize.
That being said, if you look through those threads, they consist of me warding of attacks like this, as if somehow to believe Chabad made a mistake is heretical.
So yes, I could ask honestly “what do you have to say about Rabbi Mazuzs argumen”t, but no doubt I’ll be accused yet again of heretically thinking they may be true.
Not heretical. שנאת חינם
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 02, 2023, 02:29:06 PM »
(it's a actually printed in a גמרא that is one of the Yeshivishe masechtos)?
This is a dig at not being familiar with מסכת ברכות?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #206 on: January 02, 2023, 02:36:54 PM »
This is a dig at not being familiar with מסכת ברכות?

Is that the only difference you saw between the two examples I brought, which מסכת it is in?

(FTR I specifically used the example from ברכות first as I would expect anyone to be familiar with that. I brought the second analogy because I thought it is a better analogy to what you were arguing).
-- Dan

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2023, 02:42:08 PM »
Is that the only difference you saw between the two examples I brought, which מסכת it is in?

(FTR I specifically used the example from ברכות first as I would expect anyone to be familiar with that. I brought the second analogy because I thought it is a better analogy to what you were arguing).

No worries I just wanted to play the insulted card :)

You can bring out your point without asking leading rhetorical questions. Though I’ve already explained, the mesorah of chazal is incomparable to this discussion.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 02, 2023, 02:46:30 PM »
No worries I just wanted to play the insulted card :)

Your gaslighting in this thread is totally uncalled for. It’s neither funny nor cute.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2023, 02:56:30 PM »
Emotions are getting high.

I sincerely apologize for the way I started this conversation. I do not trust myself to focus purely on substance in the face of personal attack, however warranted, and as such cannot continue this conversation at the point it is.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2023, 03:52:17 PM »
Though I’ve already explained, the mesorah of chazal is incomparable to this discussion.

This is where you are SORELY WRONG!

I am not faulting you specifically, as I have seen this time and again, all the way from teenagers to people who are old enough to have been in Shanghai during WW2. So I must say it seems like a hashkafic worm that has been allowed to penetrate deeply in certain circles. Said worm can only have two possible roots: extreme arrogance, or שנאת חינם.

-- Dan

Offline lubavitcher

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2023, 08:12:18 PM »
these sources were printed in the הערות הממו"ל of the 5752 edition of tzemach tzedek.

next time please check the facts before you throw allegations that a נשיא בישראל believed and told over false facts.

Thank you!

Though I’m bewildered why I’m being accused of “not checking the facts”, when I’ve been asking for information about them, and why absurdly I’m being accused of “making an accusation”, when I’m discussing someone else’s accusation, while referencing the fact that the claim is the manuscript supports it, and requested more information about it.

Touché?

yes, you are being accused of somehow being able to research all the sources you brought, while not being able to open up a Tzemach Tzedek and see what the publisher has to say about it.

Actually, I made the statement to instigate this conversation to see if I could get the hard information I was seeking, and patiently bided my time until somebody bit :)

You can label it how you want, but I doubt the manuscripts which I’m very excited to learn more about, would have been produced another way. (Though I agree I may have overstepped a bit)

Again, I did not *decide* it’s valid. I wanted to know more about the manuscripts which I had tried hard to find to no avail.

the issue with all the above is that all you needed to do was open up a tzemach tzedek and look in the הערות המו"ל, were you would find the reference to the above manuscript, which (as i posted) are available online for whoever wants.

that makes the statement that "I wanted to know more about the manuscripts which I had tried hard to find to no avail." very hard to understand.

it was also dealt with by Rabbi SHD"B Levin in his book "תולדות חב"ד ברוסיא הצארית" where in addition to the manuscripts referenced to in the back of the Tzemach Tzedek, he also brings a copy of the כתב יד קודש of the Tzemach Tzedek which came to the Rebbe's Library after the printing in 5752.

https://chabadlibrary.org/books/arum/chabad-russia-czarit/5/index.htm
page 132 in "תצלום הספר"

pics 1 is copyists handwriting.
pic 2 is in the כתב יד קודש of the tzemach tzedek.

P.S. none of the above sources (and I repeat, NONE!) are obscure and need to be dug up, they are all readily available online (as referenced by all the posted links) to anyone who puts in even a minimal amount of effort.

Fair enough!
“They” though was referring to קהת though at that point in the conversation, I’d word it differently when directly talking about Gedolim.

Lets be clear: saying that the 5709 version is a forgery is pointing a accusing finger at the chief editor of Kehos at the time =the Rebbe, who did so at the behest of the Previous Rebbe.

When you start a conversation with the claim that a נשיא בישראל lied, and when forced to face the fact that it is a baseless accusation purported by מחרחרי ריב, that has been proven wrong, time and time again, with all the manuscripts, including later on the original (!), and that with even a minimal (!) amount of research you could have discovered all this on your own,

to then say

Emotions are getting high.

I sincerely apologize for the way I started this conversation. I do not trust myself to focus purely on substance in the face of personal attack, however warranted, and as such cannot continue this conversation at the point it is.

is just wrong.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 08:41:59 PM by lubavitcher »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Re: Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »
Speaking of Harav Mondshine, anyone know if he wrote a response to this allegation, or if in general he wrote about this specific line allegedly being changed in the T"T?
He wrote about it extensively, he published his response to Shmuel Glick who started this in מקור ראשון, מוסף שבת, ב' אדר א' תשס"ח (I have not been able to get a hold of it). He also discusses it at length over here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080215033519/http://shturem.net/index.php?section=news&id=21617&lang=hebrew
and blogged about it in other places like here https://www.bhol.co.il/forums/topic.asp?cat_id=38&topic_id=2358760&forum_id=19616 (his user name is לבנוני).

Agav, there is a beautiful new website devoted to his writings https://www.kramim.info/

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »
He wrote about it extensively, he published his response to Shmuel Glick who started this in מקור ראשון, מוסף שבת, ב' אדר א' תשס"ח (I have not been able to get a hold of it). He also discusses it at length over here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080215033519/http://shturem.net/index.php?section=news&id=21617&lang=hebrew
and blogged about it in other places like here https://www.bhol.co.il/forums/topic.asp?cat_id=38&topic_id=2358760&forum_id=19616 (his user name is לבנוני).

Agav, there is a beautiful new website devoted to his writings https://www.kramim.info/

Thanks, can't really read now but I love his material!

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »
According to מקור ברוך the צמח צדק credited the machlokes of the Gaon and misnagdim on the chassidim with saving the chassidim from going off the rails which they were in danger of doing…..
According to historical facts the aruch hashulcha never actually visired lubavitch for a long time, and the tzemach tzedek never actually said that to him. Despite the מקור ברוך writing that he did
Talk about forgery
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:05:37 PM by koplonko »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »
According to historical facts the aruch hashulcha never actually visired lubavitch, so the tzemach tzedek never actually said that to him. Despite the מקור ברוך writing that he did
Talk about forgery
How do you know

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2023, 03:55:46 PM »
How do you know
you'd love rabbi mondshine's take on that story
It's been dealt with quite extensively by historians
The aruch hashulchans grandson also alleges that the TT gave a haskomo to one of the aruch hashulchans seforim (ביאור ל"ספר הישר" לרבינו תם) but apparently only haskomos from other גדולי ישראל can be found in writing or print
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:02:48 PM by koplonko »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2023, 04:14:15 PM »
It's been dealt with quite extensively by historians
The aruch hashulchans grandson also alleges that the TT gave a haskomo to one of the aruch hashulchans seforim (ביאור ל"ספר הישר" לרבינו תם) but apparently only haskomos from other גדולי ישראל can be found in writing or print

I mean you expected better evidence than that from @imayid2

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2023, 04:28:36 PM »
According to historical facts the aruch hashulcha never actually visired lubavitch for a long time, and the tzemach tzedek never actually said that to him. Despite the מקור ברוך writing that he did
Talk about forgery
Are you claiming the Aruch Hashulchan himself make it up or do you posit that there was a conspiracy between his son and his  talmid to fabricate the story?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:33:45 PM by jye »