Author Topic: Just in time for the 9 Days - Kosher meat prices in the US to skyrocket  (Read 21425 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Just in time for the 9 Days - Kosher meat prices in the US to skyrocket
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2023, 02:01:57 PM »
Jewish issue or in-town issue?
This is almost like Abbott and Costello's use of "Third Base!" in the famous baseball bit.

Every conversation leads back to it.

... "THIRD BASE!"

... "MOVE TO CLEVELAND!"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
This is almost like Abbott and Costello's use of "Third Base!" in the famous baseball bit.

Every conversation leads back to it.

... "THIRD BASE!"

... "MOVE TO CLEVELAND!"

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline notyettaken

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2023, 02:10:27 PM »

what do you think will happen to Cleveland (if/when) everyone moves there?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:14:39 PM by notyettaken »

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Just in time for the 9 Days - Kosher meat prices in the US to skyrocket
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2023, 02:10:30 PM »
Advocating for an upper class grocery and assisting in the opening of a higher end restaurant in your town won't help you win this argument.

Offline yawn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2023, 02:32:21 PM »
Advocating for an upper class grocery and assisting in the opening of a higher end restaurant in your town won't help you win this argument.
There's a difference between a well balanced city which has high end restaurants and supermarkets for those that choose to patronize them and a city where every supermarket sans NPGS fits that description.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2023, 02:42:26 PM »
There's a difference between a well balanced city which has high end restaurants and supermarkets for those that choose to patronize them and a city where every supermarket sans NPGS fits that description.

you mean like Kosher West?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yawn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2023, 02:43:45 PM »
you mean like Kosher West?
True. But still priced as such.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2023, 02:54:30 PM »
True. But still priced as such.
Meh. To be fair, npgs is 3 locations and there is still super stop, kosher village, and more.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2023, 04:51:19 PM »
I think his point is that even though a store may cater to a higher class and want to be fancier, the increased prices far exceed the cost of running a more upscale store. So then why the high prices? Either because the higher prices themselves give off a more upscale feel, but that's unlikely, and therefore it probably has more to do with the clientele not being aware of what they are spending.

Who are any of us to decide what the price should be for the product they are providing? They set a value, and the market determines whether the product is worth the value they placed on it. If they were the only game in town, it would be a different conversation. If customers aren't paying attention to the prices and aren't going to the cheaper store, that's 100% on them.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »
what do you think will happen to Cleveland (if/when) everyone moves there?
Uh. Let me go look outside.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2023, 05:04:10 PM »
Who are any of us to decide what the price should be for the product they are providing? They set a value, and the market determines whether the product is worth the value they placed on it.
I'm not sure I understand. With many things there is a pretty standard price range. Unless you mean that all the increased "value" of a fancy store is baked into the higher food price.
If they were the only game in town, it would be a different conversation. If customers aren't paying attention to the prices and aren't going to the cheaper store, that's 100% on them.
Again I dont understand your point. I would agree with you if they were the only store that then it would be much harder to set a price for what is being provided. Why is there less fault on the stores when there are multiple options?

I happen to agree that there is 100% responsibility on the shopper, but that doesn't mean that the stores aren't taking advantage. A store can't say "since there are more options we have every right to take advantage of unsuspecting customers". If every consumer was 100% aware of the options and prices and all the variables for shopping at different places then maybe a store can make such a claim, but assuming, which I think you agree to, that many shoppers dont conciously plan on getting ripped off, that the stores might be taking advantage.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2023, 09:25:27 PM »
I'm not sure I understand. With many things there is a pretty standard price range. Unless you mean that all the increased "value" of a fancy store is baked into the higher food price.

Again I dont understand your point. I would agree with you if they were the only store that then it would be much harder to set a price for what is being provided. Why is there less fault on the stores when there are multiple options?

I happen to agree that there is 100% responsibility on the shopper, but that doesn't mean that the stores aren't taking advantage. A store can't say "since there are more options we have every right to take advantage of unsuspecting customers". If every consumer was 100% aware of the options and prices and all the variables for shopping at different places then maybe a store can make such a claim, but assuming, which I think you agree to, that many shoppers dont conciously plan on getting ripped off, that the stores might be taking advantage.

Let me try to come at this from a different angle. In my area, there are a few different types of stores. There are the budget stores, like Walmart, Target, and Aldi. There are the middle class stores, offering a nicer experience, but with higher prices, such as Publix and Winn Dixie. We have health food stores, including Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, Sprouts, and Nutrition Smart. And then there are the specialty stores, targeting ethnic demographics like Kosher, Asian, Hispanic, and Italian.

Within each group, there are strengths and weaknesses, and each of the groups also covers different price points (ex. Target is pricier and nicer than Walmart, some ethnic markets are cheaper or nicer than others). No one faults Publix for being 30-100% more expensive than Walmart, because they are offering a different overall product: a more customer-centric shopping experience. Same goes for the ethnic markets; people don't complain that the Italian market's produce is 500% higher than Walmart. They have a great product, and budget produce isn't it. Each business is successful at servicing people who are looking for what they offer.

If I want to open a kosher store in BP, there's no way I can compete with KRM on budget, so I'd try for a different demographic. I can choose to focus on prepared foods, costumer experience, higher-end products, or any other niche where I feel can be successful. If you walk into my higher-end store expecting KRM prices, you're in the wrong place. If you don't feel you're getting value out of what I'm offering, go someplace which will give you that value. You don't get to have tainos on my pricing. I'm not taking advantage of anybody; my product is what it is, and it may not be for you. I don't owe anybody anything. If there isn't enough demand for what I'm offering, my business will have to change or it won't survive. If there are enough people who feel that another budget store is warranted, you can be sure that someone will come fill the void sooner or later. That has nothing to do with me or my choice of business model.

Now, if I was the only source of kosher products in the area, and I bill myself as providing a service to the community, and my existence is prohibiting another store from opening (exclusive deals, limited customer base, etc.), then I can understand you having an issue with me taking advantage of circumstances to the the detriment of the community. Additionally, if there are multiple stores in the area, and they all collude to restrict competition and keep prices high for personal gain, there again I understand your tainos. What I don't understand is anyone deciding that there is a "standard" that needs to be adhered to, and to assign "fault" on stores who don't meet this arbitrary "standard." Short of collusion and profiteering, the free market allows consumers to control the prices.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2023, 11:05:08 PM »
Stores can def be cheaper, they don't want to. I know that gg bp specifically did not want to market themselves as a cheap store, rather as fresh and more upscale. Hard to believe with the chain of stores they have they don't have the same buying power as KRM which every item is a couple dollars less!
It comes back to the point that consumers don't care about swiping their card. Why would someone in bp not shop in krm? not fancy enough? that's the reason these stores charge this much people shop there!
I see people stocking up chocolate in the chocolate stores where their paying 21.99 lb for pardes choc which costs 13.49 lb in KRM!
Then there’s no problem, this is price discrimination at its finest. Let the price conscious shop at KRM and those who are ok with higher prices shop at GG and chocolate stores.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2023, 11:08:35 PM »
Meh. To be fair, npgs is 3 locations and there is still super stop, kosher village, and more.
Are you listing cheap locations or non-fancy? Because those aren’t cheap.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2023, 11:14:28 PM »
Are you listing cheap locations or non-fancy? Because those aren’t cheap.
I don't think I ever bought anything in the last 2

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2023, 11:22:31 PM »

Is Crown Heights OOT, or is it only my household?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2023, 11:33:54 PM »
Let me try to come at this from a different angle....
Thank you for a well written response.
I still think there is a line some stores cross when they outright overcharge without providing value for it, but it will always be on the consumer to vote with their wallet to decide.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2023, 04:06:10 AM »
Thank you for a well written response.
I still think there is a line some stores cross when they outright overcharge without providing value for it, but it will always be on the consumer to vote with their wallet to decide.

What would you consider value?

Many of these stores have wider aisles, neater shelves, more selection, attentive and competent managers, more professional/experienced cashiers and packers etc.etc.  These are all costs they’re incurring which they need to recover when they sell flour/sugar and not just when they’re selling fancy prepared-food deli items.

You might argue that you’re satisfied with what you’re getting at the cheaper stores, which is your prerogative and means you aren’t the target customer here.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2023, 05:40:49 AM »
If every store had its loyal niche customers that shop there because the store speaks to them that would mean that if Seasons would be open in the same strip mall as GG or NPGS they would pretty much retain the same customers. I think most people would agree that that isn’t the case. There’s a reason they are now opening in Toms River. Yes, it is to serve a certain clientele that will tolerate higher prices for service/unique offerings or whatever else they feel they bring to the table. But there is also the captive audience factor. It’s not easy to get from point A to B across Lakewood so people tend to shop near where they live. Put them side by side with a cheaper store and you would see a substantial number of customers balk at 25% higher prices on many items and switch to the cheaper store.

You might argue that they are providing a unique service; the convenience of not have to slog through Lakewood traffic to the cheaper store. Yet their presence is also preventing a cheaper store from opening and serving that neighborhood in the first place, so in that sense they do have an obligation to the local customer, even if it isn’t to the same degree as a one store town. It’s definitely more complex than looking at it as each store operating in its niche.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2023, 07:46:30 AM »
Sometimes I think certain groceries are acting in a way like amusement parks selling soda.

We have you here anyways (got you here because of a sale or the wider neater aisles etc) so we will charge you 3 times more for products xyz because we know it doesn’t make sense for you to shlep out somewhere else to save a couple dollars on those few items.

Perfectly within their right, but gives you the feeling you’re being taken advantage of. (For all I know their business model needs that to survive, I don’t know enough of the economics from their side.)