Topic Wiki

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/88534

Breakfast:
Paying guests get breakfast for free. If you are staying on points you need to be gold or diamond to get free breakfast. (source)

Parking:
Complimentary (No longer, is now 60sh for self park - Drago)

Shuls Nearby:
Great Synagogue - Approx. 7 minute walk
Kotel around 15min walk thru the mall & arab Shuk (Only suggested when soldiers are present like friday night on the way home)
Hotel has a Shul in the basement
Shul across the street

Hechsher: Plain Rabbanut Yerushayim (not mehadrin)
hechsherim in isreal
whatever your rabbi says you can eat, someone else's rabbi says is treif

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast (Hechsher, Early flight, etc') please PM shimino1

If you get free drinks vouchers and don't use them, I'll buy it off you for 10 shek per voucher.
PM shimino1

If anyone is planing on staying at Waldorf and not eating the free breakfast please PM dragoddfer, and he may be able to pay for the breakfast.

« Last edited by Mimo on October 25, 2022, 01:41:54 AM »

Author Topic: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem  (Read 1296109 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
« Reply #2460 on: May 27, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
They still can distinguish between them so that doesn't mean anything, but you may be right.

More likely that people booking getaways  want both Thu&Fri  so they don't want one night point stays preventing 2-night revenue bookings.  Same reason that Pesach has a 5 night min even for revenue bookings. They don't want you booking one night of Chol HaMoed and then they don't have space for the people paying 6k pp for their Pesach "Program" (rate they offered for Room & board last Pesach).

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 27, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
More likely that people booking getaways  want both Thu&Fri  so they don't want one night point stays preventing 2-night revenue bookings.  Same reason that Pesach has a 5 night min even for revenue bookings. They don't want you booking one night of Chol HaMoed and then they don't have space for the people paying 6k pp for their Pesach "Program" (rate they offered for Room & board last Pesach).

I was able to get a full points booking for this Pesach for a single night. Happens to be that pretty much all of this Pesach was available for point bookings.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 27, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »
I was able to get a full points booking for this Pesach for a single night. Happens to be that pretty much all of this Pesach was available for point bookings.

I also got all of Next Pesach on points (except for some nights in a 2nd room that I've now reserved with revenue to be safe) but now 2017 Pesach is all blocked except for 5+ Night revenue stays.  Maybe if they don't fill up with group and longer bookings they'll open it up for shorter and standard point stays.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 124
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2463 on: May 27, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »
They are trying to get the best of both worlds: they want to be part of a chain so they get more customers. But they don't want to give out free nights with points to customers who are loyal to their chain and only stay at their chain for that reason.

Pick a side Waldorf!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 27, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
They are trying to get the best of both worlds: they want to be part of a chain so they get more customers. But they don't want to give out free nights with points to customers who are loyal to their chain and only stay at their chain for that reason.

Pick a side Waldorf!

You tell 'em bro!  :D  Honestly though, are they getting more revenue nights from the chain or just getting killed by all the redemptions?  I hope they are able to find a redemption system that is economically feasible for them (even if it's more restrictive than I'd like) and don't pick the side that says leave the chain...

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 27, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »
You tell 'em bro!  :D  Honestly though, are they getting more revenue nights from the chain or just getting killed by all the redemptions?  I hope they are able to find a redemption system that is economically feasible for them (even if it's more restrictive than I'd like) and don't pick the side that says leave the chain...
How could they be getting killed by the redemptions?
They are either full and get ADR or not full and get a nominal fee for a room that would have otherwise been vacant.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 27, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
How could they be getting killed by the redemptions?
They are either full and get ADR or not full and get a nominal fee for a room that would have otherwise been vacant.

If Non-Adr rate doesn't cover marginal costs and if redemption clients spend significantly less on F&B, etc. than a normal booking during peak times.  Sleeping rooms are only one of the many revenue streams of hotels and they should be maximizing the revenue for other streams (i.e. Enabling highly profitable weddings,  meetings, conferences and here Shabbos/Yom Tov meals, which are the self-pay equivalent  a wedding twice every Saturday).  They know their numbers.  If redemption clients were spending as much as regular clients they'd have no incentive to block rooms.

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 27, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
If Non-Adr rate doesn't cover marginal costs and if redemption clients spend significantly less on F&B, etc. than a normal booking during peak times.  Sleeping rooms are only one of the many revenue streams of hotels and they should be maximizing the revenue for other streams (i.e. Enabling highly profitable weddings,  meetings, conferences and here Shabbos/Yom Tov meals, which are the self-pay equivalent  a wedding twice every Saturday).  They know their numbers.  If redemption clients were spending as much as regular clients they'd have no incentive to block rooms.
That still doesn't explain how they can be getting killed by redemptions.
At the very most they are losing the cost difference between the nominal reimbursement and what it actually costs to clean the room.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 27, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »
That still doesn't explain how they can be getting killed by redemptions.
At the very most they are losing the cost difference between the nominal reimbursement and what it actually costs to clean the room.

I don't how else to explain it.  They are losing the cost difference of what a normal client spends and a points clients spends ASIDE from the room.  During Shabbos and Yom Tov (which is when they are blocking the rooms) they are possibly losing the average $500 normal guests spend on meals (F&B revenue might be MORE than the room revenue pp).  I obviously don't have their revenue numbers but this would explain why they would rather have a normal client instead of a points client even if they are receiving the exact same amount for the room.

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 27, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
I don't how else to explain it.  They are losing the cost difference of what a normal client spends and a points clients spends ASIDE from the room.  During Shabbos and Yom Tov (which is when they are blocking the rooms) they are possibly losing the average $500 normal guests spend on meals (F&B revenue might be MORE than the room revenue pp).  I obviously don't have their revenue numbers but this would explain why they would rather have a normal client instead of a points client even if they are receiving the exact same amount for the room.
This only applies in a situation where they are at 100% occupancy and the room would reasonably have been booked by a paying guest instead of one staying on points. I have no idea, are they often completely booked?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2470 on: May 27, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
Who says point guests spend less on F&B?
Maybe they spend more because they're not spending money on their room?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 27, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »
Come on, the majority of the ddf chevra are not going to spend the same way as someone who obviously has no issue spending $500/night on a hotel

And speaking for myself - I'm not planning to spend much if anything when I stay there this summer bez'H. I'll be walking to friends and family for meals

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:22 PM »
+1 I know I definitely will spend more when I don't pay for the room

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2473 on: May 27, 2016, 06:35:49 PM »
Come on, the majority of the ddf chevra are not going to spend the same way as someone who obviously has no issue spending $500/night on a hotel

And speaking for myself - I'm not planning to spend much if anything when I stay there this summer bez'H. I'll be walking to friends and family for meals
I ate Friday night dinner and other dinners at the Waldorf and loved them. Not cheap, but an excellent value for what they gave. Kids free was a nice touch as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 27, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
I ate Friday night dinner and other dinners at the Waldorf and loved them. Not cheap, but an excellent value for what they gave. Kids free was a nice touch as well.

+1. Though we don't pay for breakfast

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #2475 on: May 27, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
+1. Though we don't pay for breakfast
but the hotel gets full price for shabbos meals and restaurants... even though the Arrival +1 reimburses...

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 27, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »

If points guests spent more then then they wouldn't be blocking standard rooms
During Sukkot when they are presumably getting their ADR.  I obviously have no idea what people spend but there is most definitely a revenue reason for the  way they are blocking standard rooms and I was just offering possible reason.  Hotels have revenue goals that include way more than just room income.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 27, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
Don't attribute to intelligence what can also be attributed to incompetence.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 27, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
Don't attribute to intelligence what can also be attributed to incompetence.
My new signature line

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 29, 2016, 02:18:01 AM »
Take it with a grain of salt but on of the frond desk manager's told me that even when hotel is not full they get reimbursed from Hilton at ADR.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.