Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 225264 times)

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
Can you get cold cuts, cheese, challah and wine? That is all I would need for a shabbos?
Not sure. I think there's a number on Chabads site where you can Whatsapp the rabbi there and ask

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 26, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »
@Emkay - did Thessaloniki have kosher food to buy? If I stay at the Hyatt - how far was it to chabad - I think u said 25 min - correct? Maybe go there for shabbos, spend my Hyatt certs, and get kosher food in Thessaloniki - does they have a store? TIA
They have a small store in the restaurant, I think they may have a product list online. It is def not walkable from the Hyatt, that was in Athens where I walked

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
They have a small store in the restaurant, I think they may have a product list online. It is def not walkable from the Hyatt, that was in Athens where I walked
Are you confusing with it with the Chabad in Athens or did Thessaloniki also have a store in the restaurant that I was unaware of?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 26, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »

Are you confusing with it with the Chabad in Athens
I most definitely am .
My bad

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
I most definitely am .
My bad
Lol phew. Thought I was losing it 😀

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 26, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
So for Santorini - I am now torn between three options:

1) Vedema - yes out of the way - no Santorini blue sky/water/caldera. Is that OK? Easy on the miles and all. There is nice talk of the place - for what it is, but yes not pure Santorini feel
2) Katikies - using UR points to buy into the hotel. Crazy expensive for three nights (in my opinion) in the end I burn 150K UR points instead of 150 SPG points for Mystique. I can get into Mystique as well, with this approach (UR points) - but no matter what I read, Katikies is better than Mystique, though most just say they were happy going with Vedema
3) Santorini Princess (not in Oui)
4) Oui hotels which are really caves/homes that people rent out - those are all cheaper, have the real feel, but not the pure hotel feel. They are more home like with a pool and someone watching here and there.

So there you have it. I guess I am seriously not happy with spending 150K UR points for three nights hotel, but that is what I would have done for three nights at mysiqtue - which I can still do, if I so wanted with UR points

What say u all?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »
Spending 150k on 3 nights there seems ridiculous

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2015, 02:54:57 PM »
So for Santorini - I am now torn between three options:

1) Vedema - yes out of the way - no Santorini blue sky/water/caldera. Is that OK? Easy on the miles and all. There is nice talk of the place - for what it is, but yes not pure Santorini feel
2) Katikies - using UR points to buy into the hotel. Crazy expensive for three nights (in my opinion) in the end I burn 150K UR points instead of 150 SPG points for Mystique. I can get into Mystique as well, with this approach (UR points) - but no matter what I read, Katikies is better than Mystique, though most just say they were happy going with Vedema
3) Santorini Princess (not in Oui)
4) Oui hotels which are really caves/homes that people rent out - those are all cheaper, have the real feel, but not the pure hotel feel. They are more home like with a pool and someone watching here and there.

So there you have it. I guess I am seriously not happy with spending 150K UR points for three nights hotel, but that is what I would have done for three nights at mysiqtue - which I can still do, if I so wanted with UR points

What say u all?

stay at Vedema  and save the points it is a excellent hotel - if want to splurge do Mystique  and save the U R points

Any sightseeing you want to do - rent a car- order a taxi- take a bus -on vacation during the day I want to be away from the crowds in the town and enjoy the beach -but to each his own

Offline moisheyb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 27, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
Hi I'm thinking of going to athens, and maybe an island for a total of 3-4 days ( maybe a shabbos)
Does anyone have any specific must see atractions or islands that are doable in a day?
Tia

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »
Hi I'm thinking of going to athens, and maybe an island for a total of 3-4 days ( maybe a shabbos)
Does anyone have any specific must see atractions or islands that are doable in a day?
Tia
Depends how you define "doable". One day is a bit tight for a whole island. Look into santorini. Just FYI there are MANY one day tours that go out from Athens

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 27, 2015, 09:06:18 PM »
If i have a couple of hours (evening), what should i see.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Einstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 27, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
If i have a couple of hours (evening), what should i see.
What time is evening, cause most of the stuff If i recall correctly closes at 8PM
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 27, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
What time is evening, cause most of the stuff If i recall correctly closes at 8PM
Not sure when i will be around exactly. I guess i can wait until i have more of a concrete time.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 27, 2015, 09:48:15 PM »
Not sure when i will be around exactly. I guess i can wait until i have more of a concrete time.
basically I used the hop on hop off, was a great an easy way to see everything in a short time, walking is not really ideal because some of the sights are further out, but keep in mind that it does end at 9 PM

http://www.citysightseeing.gr/

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
I used the hop on hop off and regretted it. The sites are not that far so although some of them are not walking distance (which btw many of them are), a cab from one to the other is dirt cheap. The sightseeing bus on the other hand is 27 eu pp and they only come once every half hr and can obviously be delayed etc. I ended up spending a nice chunk of the day just getting back to the bus stop and waiting for the next bus

Offline Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 28, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »
I used the hop on hop off and regretted it. The sites are not that far so although some of them are not walking distance (which btw many of them are), a cab from one to the other is dirt cheap. The sightseeing bus on the other hand is 27 eu pp and they only come once every half hr and can obviously be delayed etc. I ended up spending a nice chunk of the day just getting back to the bus stop and waiting for the next bus
I definitely did not pay 27 euro, but you are correct that most of the things are walking distance from each other, but there are a few of the main attractions that are not walking distance, i did not try a cab but that might be a better route if you are pressed for time

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 28, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »
I definitely did not pay 27 euro, but you are correct that most of the things are walking distance from each other, but there are a few of the main attractions that are not walking distance, i did not try a cab but that might be a better route if you are pressed for time
Maybe I'm confusing the price with elsewhere. Either way, cabs are dirt cheap in Greece and I remember making the cheshbon of the few things not within walking distance and it would have been a lot cheaper by cab

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 29, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
Looking for a recommondation.
Want to use the LY promo to go somewhere in Europe in March for 4-6 days (including shabbos) w/ 3 young kids.
Currently, due to weather and price factors, the options seem to be the following:
Athens
Rome
Venice

Suggestions?

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 29, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Looking for a recommondation.
Want to use the LY promo to go somewhere in Europe in March for 4-6 days (including shabbos) w/ 3 young kids.
Currently, due to weather and price factors, the options seem to be the following:
Athens
Rome
Venice

Suggestions?
I would go with Athens. Its more interesting then Rome and I would want to save Venice for a summer vacation. On the other hand, the kids would probably enjoy Venice a lot more

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 30, 2015, 04:17:06 AM »
I would go with Athens. Its more interesting then Rome and I would want to save Venice for a summer vacation. On the other hand, the kids would probably enjoy Venice a lot more
Thx, was thinking the same thing about Venice, especially cuz it's more self contained.
However, the weather seems to be around 8-10 degrees colder, which could make it tough.

What day trips would you recommend from Athens?
And has anyone done any AirBnb's close to chabad they'd recommend?