Author Topic: Supreme Court of the United States Recent Rulings  (Read 76131 times)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court of the United States
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »
I wasn't following for the past hour but here's a thought experiment before licht bentchen.

If the Supreme Court ruled that Buddhism is illegal due to the idol worshipping not being consistent with the Christian values of the founding fathers, would you take it as a great victory for Sheva Mitzvos Bnei Noach or a dangerous meddling in what should be a religious matter?

let's say there was a religion that believed that we should cut someones hand off for theft or throw someone off a roof for Homosexual relations, would you want the government to "meddle" in their affairs? How about you keep THAT thought in mind before Shabbos, eh?

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
let's say there was a religion that believed that we should cut someones hand off for theft or throw someone off a roof for Homosexual relations, would you want the government to "meddle" in their affairs? How about you keep THAT thought in mind before Shabbos, eh?
I think we settled it in the vaccine thread that there are no religious exemptions for things that harm others.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
I wasn't following for the past hour but here's a thought experiment before licht bentchen.

If the Supreme Court ruled that Buddhism is illegal due to the idol worshipping not being consistent with the Christian values of the founding fathers, would you take it as a great victory for Sheva Mitzvos Bnei Noach or a dangerous meddling in what should be a religious matter?

If the government shouldn't meddle with religious matters then should not be legalizing or banning anything related to religion.

Anyway, you really think your religious freedom is in any way in jeopardy or even in jeopardy of becoming in jeopardy any time soon?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
Getting back to the OP. If you are complaining about judges that you supported that means things are working.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Aj3042

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »
Getting back to the OP. If you are complaining about judges that you supported that means things are working.
Things are working? Where exactly are things working?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
Things are working? Where exactly are things working?
Judges are chosen based on the way we think they will vote. When they don't I look at it as the system is working the way it should. Do you really want a stacked supreme court?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2015, 10:47:55 PM »
Judges are chosen based on the way we think they will vote. When they don't I look at it as the system is working the way it should. Do you really want a stacked supreme court?
When judges vote as they did Friday the system ain't working.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »
When judges vote as they did Friday the system ain't working.
Many feel that way especially when the decision/s don't go their way. I do wish we would see more 6-3 or greater decisions.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
I think we settled it in the vaccine thread that there are no religious exemptions for things that harm others.

I don't want to get carried off topic here, but there are groups that want to ban circumcision as a "barbaric act"... "things that harm others" has a very broad definition.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 27, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »
Many feel that way especially when the decision/s don't go their way. I do wish we would see more 6-3 or greater decisions.

Many feel that the Supreme Court is a big fat fraud. How could Ginsburg or Scalia be allowed to set the law in this country when it is blatantly obvious where their biases lie? My G-D, they are OPEN about their biases and don't even attempt to hide it!

Unlike the president and congress, this body of government is not directly chosen by We The People.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2015, 11:06:20 PM »
This isn't a matter of the decision not going my way, it's a matter of it not going God's way. But, asI said, I don't expect you to agree on this topic.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »

You succeeded in getting me to think over Shabbos about this and this is what I think about this issue.
While I definitely  agree that we, as Jews, are better off with the court system not basing their rulings off of religious values, perhaps this situation is different. Iirc the Rambam says that there are certain mitzvos that are intuitive ans that with out the torah they would still be in place. I dont remember if Arayus are from those mitvos but Im pretty sure they are. I in no way expect today's society to have the clarity to see what is intuitive immoral, and I myself dont fully see how some things are intuitive imorral, but that is actually what saddens me the most about this. Its the lack of (moral) clarity that exists in the world today, which htis ruling just emphasizes.   

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
While I definitely  agree that we, as Jews, are better off with the court system not basing their rulings off of religious values

How different is it if they are basing their rulings off of irreligious values?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
— Richard Feynman

Offline PTU

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 27, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
We live in amongst a obviously sick, perverted society.

This is not a new phenomenon, Jews have been in golus in all kinds of corrupt cultures.

The only way to assure the continuance of yidishkeit is to keep far far away from our host culture. Shelter yourselves, shelter your kids. Explain to your families that oil and water don't mix....

Those that made the fatal error 65 years ago, thinking that mixing into the culture would be beneficial, and make everything "ok" are already half lost to yidishkeit.... 

תניא הלל הזקן אומר בשעת המכניסין פזר בשעת המפזרים כנס ואם ראית דור שהתורה חביבה עליו פזר שנאמר (משלי יא, כד) יש מפזר ונוסף עוד ואם ראית דור שאין התורה חביבה עליו כנס שנא' עת לעשות לה' הפרו תורתך

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »
FTFY

FTFY&H
LOL

This is not a new phenomenon, Jews have been in golus in all kinds of corrupt cultures.

The only way to assure the continuance of yidishkeit is to keep far far away from our host culture. Shelter yourselves, shelter your kids. Explain to your families that oil and water don't mix....

Those that made the fatal error 65 years ago, that mixing into the culture is beneficial are already half lost to yidishkeit.... 

תניא הלל הזקן אומר בשעת המכניסין פזר בשעת המפזרים כנס ואם ראית דור שהתורה חביבה עליו פזר שנאמר (משלי יא, כד) יש מפזר ונוסף עוד ואם ראית דור שאין התורה חביבה עליו כנס שנא' עת לעשות לה' הפרו תורתך
Agreed.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2015, 11:50:46 PM »

Those that made the fatal error 65 years ago, thinking that mixing into the culture would be beneficial, and make everything "ok" are already half lost to yidishkeit.... 

So the further away the country and laws go from Judaism the better because it is so clear one is water and one is oil. If the laws of the country are the same as the torah it could be very confusing...

This law was a welcome one I guess.

(As aside note someone pointed out that married couples have less relations than single people so this is also a good law because there will be less total immoral acts happening in the country.)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
How different is it if they are basing their rulings off of irreligious values?
Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you're reffering to the likes of Bloombergs war on Mitzizah b'peh, I hear your point. So I guess either extreme is not ideal. How about live and let live?