Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1259029 times)

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4380 on: January 10, 2024, 03:05:01 AM »
Why not just dispute the charge?

Offline rochel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: January 10, 2024, 03:09:33 AM »
I did receive the item on 10/23. And then returned  it on 11/2. Does that qualify for disputing a charge?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: January 10, 2024, 05:44:48 AM »
Yes, one of the options when disputing is 'I've cancelled, returned or refused this purchase.'.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: January 10, 2024, 08:08:44 AM »
Why not just dispute the charge?
+1 the only option here is to dispute.

Offline Mr Green

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: January 10, 2024, 09:19:28 AM »
Just got approved on a claim of $150 without even asking for a receipt or anything

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: January 11, 2024, 10:49:11 AM »
Thank you.
“ We contacted the merchant on 01/08/2024 at xxx-xxx-xxxx and spoke with "Xxxxxxxxx". confirmed the items being claimed are still eligible for store credit under their 90 day or more return policy, indefinitely. Therefore, the item is not eligible for a refund.

You submitted Return Protection for this said item, and this is the response given to you by AMEX? If so, interesting that they contact the merchants sometimes.

Have you filled RP in the past, or is this your first one?

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: January 11, 2024, 12:00:49 PM »
You submitted Return Protection for this said item, and this is the response given to you by AMEX? If so, interesting that they contact the merchants sometimes.

Have you filled RP in the past, or is this your first one?

Yes I have claimed in the past, got reimbursed no questions asked.

Offline OMG!

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: January 16, 2024, 10:01:52 PM »
Someone finally called today to set up the video call for next week. I asked what to expect, if I needed to gather the items, etc. They said I could show them if I had them but it seems that is not what they want (they didn't specify I had to be at home). They said they just wanted to hear the story, i.e., that yes, I wanted to return the items but they wouldn't take them back. Very strange that submitting a signed document is not enough. Will report back next week.
How did the call go?

Offline Mr Green

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: January 17, 2024, 11:11:32 AM »
Is the $1000 limit per account or each AU has their own $1000?

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: January 17, 2024, 11:12:47 AM »
Is the $1000 limit per account or each AU has their own $1000?

this has been discussed pretty extensively over the past ~year in this thread. I'd recommend going back and reading through and you'll find the info you're looking for.

Offline petun

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: January 17, 2024, 12:15:17 PM »
How did the call go?
Video call went fine. I was essentially asked what "happened" and there is of course not much of a story to tell except that I bought some items, changed my mind and could not return them so I filed a claim. I was asked to provide my SSN, which I find odd. I did, and, in retrospect, maybe I should have declined as I don't see how that is relevant? I offered to show the items but they were not interested in seeing them, which I think is odd. Isn't the whole point to ensure that I do have the items in my possession and am not filing a fraudulent claim? To date, I have not heard back from Amex -- it's been almost a week.

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: January 17, 2024, 12:18:25 PM »
Video call went fine. I was essentially asked what "happened" and there is of course not much of a story to tell except that I bought some items, changed my mind and could not return them so I filed a claim. I was asked to provide my SSN, which I find odd. I did, and, in retrospect, maybe I should have declined as I don't see how that is relevant? I offered to show the items but they were not interested in seeing them, which I think is odd. Isn't the whole point to ensure that I do have the items in my possession and am not filing a fraudulent claim? To date, I have not heard back from Amex -- it's been almost a week.

Thanks for the update! Let us know how they move forward after this.

Really odd that they required video call for this, when a simple phone call could have achieved the same. Perhaps this is randomized audits? Wondering if this is common in the insurance industry.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: January 17, 2024, 01:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the update! Let us know how they move forward after this.

Really odd that they required video call for this, when a simple phone call could have achieved the same. Perhaps this is randomized audits? Wondering if this is common in the insurance industry.

I think to some degree it's a subtle intimidation tactic. They probably think that if this specific customer is doing something illegal then he/she may be too scared to show up on a video call.

Online eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: January 17, 2024, 08:58:53 PM »
were you able to see the person on other end? was it offshore or in states?

Online eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: January 18, 2024, 03:04:42 AM »
I tried to make a return but I was one day late were there ever any exceptions to the rule? anyone tried return protection on day 91 and got denied or approved?

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: January 18, 2024, 07:53:09 AM »
I tried to make a return but I was one day late were there ever any exceptions to the rule? anyone tried return protection on day 91 and got denied or approved?

Chances may be slim, but it does not hurt to file a claim. They may approve it.

Offline yawn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #4396 on: January 18, 2024, 08:47:00 AM »
I was once denied on day 91.

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: January 18, 2024, 09:56:49 AM »
I once did it at 100 days and was approved, iinm the date of incident has to be within 90 days but you can file the claim some while after too

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: January 18, 2024, 10:23:48 AM »
I once did it at 100 days and was approved, iinm the date of incident has to be within 90 days but you can file the claim some while after too

Interesting data point, and based on the inconsistencies (and sometimes typos and other errors) that I've seen in the letters they send out, I can believe that they sometimes either miscount the days or fail to count them at all. But the official policy (quoting from the PDF linked to the U.S. Platinum card) says:

"Once you have verified that the merchant will not accept the eligible item, call 1-800-228-6855 within 90 days of the purchase date to notify us of your request. Within 30 days from the date of your initial call, we need to receive the following:
 - A copy of the original store receipt
 - A copy of the American Express Card record of charge
 - Any other items deemed reasonable by us to process your request"

The key phrase to me is to contact AmEx "within 90 days of the purchase date" to submit a claim, meaning that anything 91 days or more from the purchase date would technically be ineligible. Of course, their official policy, and the terms that they have written in the Program Description PDF, might be two different things. But my interpretation would be that it doesn't hurt to try, as the worst they can do is tell you that the item is no longer eligible for a Return Protection claim, but I certainly wouldn't want to get my hopes up that they'd approve a claim that I submitted more than 90 days after the date of purchase, per the Return Protection Program Description.

Offline yawn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #4399 on: January 18, 2024, 10:26:07 AM »
That makes sense. In other words you can’t claim something with a 90 day return policy on day 91. But you possibly can if you were unable to return the item within 90 days.