Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1259126 times)

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4360 on: December 24, 2023, 03:05:02 PM »
Yes, I can confirm that you're wrong...
Every user gets another $1k or is a total per account?

Offline Mark Twain

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: December 24, 2023, 03:07:43 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the blue cash preferred additional user, do they get their own $1000 rp?

Offline ShtarkButRelatable

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: December 25, 2023, 01:21:13 PM »
pretty sure

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 66
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: December 25, 2023, 09:22:30 PM »
Seemed to be across the board. They told me they consider each cardholder as a separate card member for the limits.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline MilesEarnBurn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: December 27, 2023, 03:13:07 PM »
Does return protection work for clothing items bought from EU stores/websites?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: December 27, 2023, 11:21:11 PM »
Does return protection work for clothing items bought from EU stores/websites?

As I've noted before, it's worked for me in the past for electronics bought and shipped from Europe-based Amazon, with the item shipped to me in the U.S., and that was after reading others' posts here who said that they were able to successfully claim an item that was purchased from a retailer in Europe but shipped to a U.S. address. Clothing should work no differently than electronics (as long as it's new and not a one-of-a-kind item) and I would assume that it wouldn't matter what the retailer was, as long as they have a return policy of less than 90 days. Of course, your mileage my vary, but that's the general trend.

Offline petun

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: December 30, 2023, 09:27:31 AM »
To follow up on this. Today I received a call from Amex Assurance. They wanted to make sure the items were not already returned. He said Amazon requires I be on the phone to check. They had me do a 3 way call with Amazon, where the rep needed to look up each order # and confirm that a return was not requested or in place.

Supposedly now the guy said the returns would all be processed. The guy also confirmed there with the Amazon rep that there was a 30 day return on these, which Amazon confirmed (they were bought before the extended return period).

I said to the guy it is strange that they would need to confirm a return, since they could see if there was a credit on my account or not for the return.
He did not respond. I suppose with Amazon someone could choose to have the credit put into a gift card instead of a credit. So they needed to validate the items were not returned.
The guy seemed pleasant enough. He sounded American, not from an off shore call center. He apologized for the inconvenience.

Anyway, they might just be doing a lot more scrutiny on me.

So something similar is happening to me. I have about four recent claims that I have not heard back about in several weeks. I called to ask what the issue was but they simply said they were still reviewing the claims. Then, last Thursday, I received a call saying they wanted to have a "recorded statement from me" regarding my recent claims. I called back, thinking I would be able to just speak to them, record my statement, and be done with it. They instead said they needed to call me back the next day to make an "appointment" with me for either a video call or to come to my house. They didn't call on Friday like they said they would (still don't understand why the person I spoke to just couldn't interview me on the spot!).  The truth is this level of scrutiny is annoying and makes me want to terminate my relationship with Amex. These are legitimate claims for items that are under $50 each and I've submitted the receipts. Happy to send pictures or send the items back, too. But a video call, let alone a house visit? Maybe if were talking about claims worth thousands of dollars, but not this! You would think they would have a better use of their resources! Interested in knowing if others have gone through this level of scrutiny!

Offline Mark Twain

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: January 02, 2024, 02:48:48 PM »
does anyone know if an open box (new) item from eBay would qualify for rp?

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: January 02, 2024, 02:59:09 PM »
So something similar is happening to me. I have about four recent claims that I have not heard back about in several weeks. I called to ask what the issue was but they simply said they were still reviewing the claims. Then, last Thursday, I received a call saying they wanted to have a "recorded statement from me" regarding my recent claims. I called back, thinking I would be able to just speak to them, record my statement, and be done with it. They instead said they needed to call me back the next day to make an "appointment" with me for either a video call or to come to my house. They didn't call on Friday like they said they would (still don't understand why the person I spoke to just couldn't interview me on the spot!).  The truth is this level of scrutiny is annoying and makes me want to terminate my relationship with Amex. These are legitimate claims for items that are under $50 each and I've submitted the receipts. Happy to send pictures or send the items back, too. But a video call, let alone a house visit? Maybe if were talking about claims worth thousands of dollars, but not this! You would think they would have a better use of their resources! Interested in knowing if others have gone through this level of scrutiny!

Any further updates? Curious what they asked during the video call or the house visit. That is getting rather annoying.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: January 02, 2024, 03:07:59 PM »
does anyone know if an open box (new) item from eBay would qualify for rp?

The T&C prohibit "purchased used items" but since this item is still new I think you should be eligible. It's a bit of a grey area though.

Offline Mark Twain

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: January 03, 2024, 02:06:58 PM »
The T&C prohibit "purchased used items" but since this item is still new I think you should be eligible. It's a bit of a grey area though.
thanks, just curious if anyone had actual experience claiming such an item (ebay open box-new)

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: January 03, 2024, 02:13:49 PM »

You should go through with the video meeting and let us know what that process was like. Would be a good DP for the community.

Offline petun

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: January 03, 2024, 04:18:33 PM »
You should go through with the video meeting and let us know what that process was like. Would be a good DP for the community.
Someone finally called today to set up the video call for next week. I asked what to expect, if I needed to gather the items, etc. They said I could show them if I had them but it seems that is not what they want (they didn't specify I had to be at home). They said they just wanted to hear the story, i.e., that yes, I wanted to return the items but they wouldn't take them back. Very strange that submitting a signed document is not enough. Will report back next week.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: January 03, 2024, 04:20:44 PM »
Someone finally called today to set up the video call for next week. I asked what to expect, if I needed to gather the items, etc. They said I could show them if I had them but it seems that is not what they want (they didn't specify I had to be at home). They said they just wanted to hear the story, i.e., that yes, I wanted to return the items but they wouldn't take them back. Very strange that submitting a signed document is not enough. Will report back next week.

Sounds good. I think they are probably just making you jump through some hoops to see if you will go away (which is par for the course w/ most insurance companies). Don't let them wear you down!  :D

Offline yawn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist
« Reply #4374 on: January 03, 2024, 07:53:13 PM »
I wonder if they are trying to weed out people abusing the system on a larger scale, ie. opening cards for multiple people and and maxing out on all of their RPs, or a business that handles the RP process for you.

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: January 03, 2024, 10:31:32 PM »
If can return for store credit only, is eligible for return protection? Any recent experience?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: January 03, 2024, 11:13:53 PM »
If can return for store credit only, is eligible for return protection? Any recent experience?

No, that would not be eligible for return protection

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: January 06, 2024, 09:07:25 PM »
did you file claims in the past year ? or years before

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: January 09, 2024, 11:04:02 AM »
No, that would not be eligible for return protection
Thank you.
“ We contacted the merchant on 01/08/2024 at xxx-xxx-xxxx and spoke with "Xxxxxxxxx". confirmed the items being claimed are still eligible for store credit under their 90 day or more return policy, indefinitely. Therefore, the item is not eligible for a refund.

Offline rochel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: January 10, 2024, 02:22:33 AM »
Have an interesting situation. Hoping someone here can help. I purchased a watch from Saks off fifth for over $1300 with my Marriott  grandfathered spg card.  I returned it, together with another item and never got the refund for the watch.  I’ve been calling and calling, each time I get a different excuse why I have not been refunded. At first they told me they never received the watch. Then they claimed that there is no tracking for the watch. I sent the fed ex return tracking that proved that they got the r
Return back. Nothing is working. Today they told me that there is a claim entered the item was received but I had an option to cancel the return and I canceled it. Makes no sense. All lies…

This is going on for over 2 months.
Can I submit a purchase protection claim for this and claim that saks stole the item and is refusing to refund?  Will this qualify?  Any on how I can recoup the 1300 dollars would be appreciated