Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 950827 times)

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #3980 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
Eruv question:

If there are two locations surrounded by an Eruv and they are connected by a bridge, is it permissible to carry across that bridge? The practical application is that the TRYP by Wyndham Miami Bay Harbor is located on a small island which is just a bridge away from Surfside, FL. According to the eruv map of Miami, both the island and that portion of Surfside are bordered by an eruv (the island being it's own eruv), but the bridge isn't. Is it permissible to carry across?
No. They are 2 erucs separated by the water. It's more complicated to add water into an eruv.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: December 11, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
Does anyone know of a good safer that discusses "Tzimtzum" in depth, I am not referring to the basic idea of "Tzimtzum", and the Machlokes of Tzimtzum kepshuto or aino kepshuto, as brought down in the Tanya, Nefesh Hachaim, Pischey Sheorim etc.. They seem to explain what Tzimtzum "Is" and "Isnt" but not addressing many difficult questions that arise from either explanation, and I cant seem to find a good safer that clarifies these questions, anyone have any advice of good sources as their doesnt seem to be many?

(R` Aryeh Kaplan has 1 safer that he wrote in Hebrew called "Moreh Ohr" which seems to be out of print as is virtually unobtainable, I managed to download a PDF version online, he discusses a few difficult hashkafic ideas, and on the Inyan of Tzimtzum he literally asks 2 of the questions that have been  bothering me, only to go on to many more points on other topics and does not seem to answer them at the end, its possible that the PDF version isnt the entire safer and possibly he does answer it if their is a longer version.)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3982 on: December 11, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
Eruv question:

If there are two locations surrounded by an Eruv and they are connected by a bridge, is it permissible to carry across that bridge? The practical application is that the TRYP by Wyndham Miami Bay Harbor is located on a small island which is just a bridge away from Surfside, FL. According to the eruv map of Miami, both the island and that portion of Surfside are bordered by an eruv (the island being it's own eruv), but the bridge isn't. Is it permissible to carry across?
Fwiw, all the locals use it across the bridge...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: December 11, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »
Can't think of how that would be Halachic unless it's just included but poorly marked on the map.

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: December 11, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

Maybe there is an eruv chatzerot?

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #3985 on: December 12, 2019, 12:17:23 AM »
Did you look in the Shary Tshuva I referred you to? It's on the daf in Hilchas Shaabos 319
where you quoted from. He talks in a very similar situation when someone attaches a cloth over the bottle or barrel when he fills the cup, same goes for faucet. It all depends where you place the cloth, if on the cup you're pouring "into" , it's דרך בורר indeed, if on the bottle you're pouring "from", it's not דרך בורר.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!  Do you think it's just a din that whenever it's on the source it's a shinui? the alef bais of shinui is that it's an awkward unnatural way of accomplishing the melochah which is the case is the shaaray tshuva's situation where you have to hold the cloth over the spout instead of the normal way of letting the cloth rest on the cup. Here, on the contrary it makes it easier by having the mesanenes screwed onto the faucet instead of being suspended.
Besides for that, turning a faucet on is in no way a מעשה ברירה, and the fact that you do it everyday certainty doesn't make it so. It is NOT the normal way of filtering in any way, it's just the normal way of turning a faucet on, and by chance you get filtered water everyday. (no need to use the big thumb for this :) )
The fact that it is the normal way to get water out in no way precludes it from being the normal way to filter water. It was set up that way on purpose so that you can accomplish two goals at once.
I really don't understand why you are still arguing,
The only reason I continue to argue is that no one should chas v'shalom rely on your heterim without asking a competent posek!
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #3986 on: December 12, 2019, 12:21:51 AM »
What about turning it on to fill a washing cup and leaving it on to drink?
Rav Dovid Feinstein heard the svorah to be mattir here. However, he was choshesh for haramah, i.e. you don't really need the washing, you're really turning it on for a drink.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: December 12, 2019, 12:46:32 AM »

I really don't understand why you are still arguing, Did you look in the Shary Tshuva I referred you to? It's on the daf in Hilchas Shaabos 319
where you quoted from. He talks in a very similar situation when someone attaches a cloth over the bottle or barrel when he fills the cup, same goes for faucet. It all depends where you place the cloth, if on the cup you're pouring "into" , it's דרך בורר indeed, if on the bottle you're pouring "from", it's not דרך בורר.
This is the psak (and the reasoning) I got from rov.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: December 12, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »
There's a mincha minyan that I know of that davens sfard but says tachnun like Ashkenaz. Is that a common occurrence?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: December 13, 2019, 09:00:49 AM »
There's a mincha minyan that I know of that davens sfard but says tachnun like Ashkenaz. Is that a common occurrence?
The real question is why doesn't sefard say tachnun
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3990 on: December 13, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »
yes. It is not that sfard doesn't say tachnun it is that the minhagim not to say tachnun also daven sfard.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: December 13, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
sincevthe reason not to say by minchah is because they're davening after shkia, it's more common to say tachanun by early minchah

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: December 13, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »

I don`t believe there`s an official psak that chasidim hold of (or that exists at all) for not saying tachanun at mincha, it`s simply since they would often daven after shkiah\tzais, and according to kabbalah tachanun after shkiah is frowned upon, so they omit it...so although technically that should mean that when they are davening before shkiah they should say it, but to sometimes say it and sometimes not can look problematic perhaps, so hence they decided to officially not say it..  ???

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: December 13, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »
There does not seem to be a sourced based reason to skip tachanun if youd say it well before shikah.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: December 13, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
yes. It is not that sfard doesn't say tachnun it is that the minhagim not to say tachnun also daven sfard.

Do you have a source that actually states that as an official minhag?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:25 AM »
Probably basex on the fact that most Ashkenazi communities aceepted the Psak later codified by MB to finish mincha before shkiah, while others are noheg go say it through bein hashemashos.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: December 13, 2019, 03:59:59 PM »
sincevthe reason not to say by minchah is because they're davening after shkia, it's more common to say tachanun by early minchah
Probably basex on the fact that most Ashkenazi communities aceepted the Psak later codified by MB to finish mincha before shkiah, while others are noheg go say it through bein hashemashos.
I didn't explain myself clearly. I was asking about the nusach. The shliach tzibur davens nusach sfard but when it comes to tachnun he davens nusach Ashkenaz (they don't say the ashamnu...).

BTW This minyan is early afternoon
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: December 14, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
Is there a minimum of people needed to answer amen by kaddish ? For example, if there’s 10 people present is it okay for 9 to say kaddish & 1 to answer amen ?

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #3998 on: December 14, 2019, 11:05:35 PM »
Is there a minimum of people needed to answer amen by kaddish ? For example, if there’s 10 people present is it okay for 9 to say kaddish & 1 to answer amen ?

Yes it’s ok! According to the Ben Ish Chai and the Shu”t Rav Peulim

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: December 18, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!  Do you think it's just a din that whenever it's on the source it's a shinui? the alef bais of shinui is that it's an awkward unnatural way of accomplishing the melochah which is the case is the shaaray tshuva's situation where you have to hold the cloth over the spout instead of the normal way of letting the cloth rest on the cup. Here, on the contrary it makes it easier by having the mesanenes screwed onto the faucet instead of being suspended. The fact that it is the normal way to get water out in no way precludes it from being the normal way to filter water. It was set up that way on purpose so that you can accomplish two goals at once. The only reason I continue to argue is that no one should chas v'shalom rely on your heterim without asking a competent posek!
So apparently, use of the thumb is needed here, but that's not doable on an online blog ;)
But in case you're so afraid I'm matir isuray d'oraisa mamesh, here you go.
This is the psak (and the reasoning) I got from rov.