Topic Wiki

I’d be wary though, [Kehos has] been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
Yada yada yada

It’s pretty clear that my op was unnecessarily incendiary and provocative, it also did not account for who was קהת in that timeframe (which I had been unaware).
Because I brought it up I should say this: It’s clear that the allegations about the כתבי יד are unsubstantiated, and are thus conspiratorial.

« Last edited by Dan on January 13, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »

Author Topic: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery  (Read 49788 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery
« Reply #560 on: January 15, 2023, 11:51:47 PM »
You did not provide contemporary evidence for the שפיכת דמים story. You are free to believe this mesorah. I am not bound to believe it.
Seeing that case aside, מסירות are not in dispute
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #561 on: January 15, 2023, 11:56:20 PM »
You did not provide contemporary evidence for the שפיכת דמים story. You are free to believe this mesorah. I am not bound to believe it.

Just like you chose not to believe the story of what happened with the printing of the Tzemach Tzedek.

Do you realize how ridiculous you come across? דער רבי מאנט מדת האמת from Chassidim, מגיד דבריו ליעקב חוקיו ומשפטיו לישראל!

Do you also feel you are not bound to believe stories brought in תורה, נביאים וכתובים without contemporary evidence?

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 15, 2023, 11:59:00 PM »
Seeing that case aside, מסירות are not in dispute
True. Not as sensational though.
It should be noted that it’s AFAIK undisputed that the Chassidim were first to turn to the government. Not that anyone really blames them, they were having it rough.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:03:21 AM by imayid2 »

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #563 on: January 16, 2023, 12:04:09 AM »

Sheesh, the Tzemach Tzedek's Rebbe and grandfather who practically raised him from when he was a child was arrested on capital charges because of mesirah by misnagdim.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 16, 2023, 12:04:28 AM »
True. Not as sensational though.

What would have happened (על פי טבע) if the Alter Rebbe had been convicted of the crimes he was accused of? What was the punishment for treason at the time?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 16, 2023, 12:04:55 AM »
Sheesh, the Tzemach Tzedek's Rebbe and grandfather who practically raised him from when he was a child was arrested on capital charges because of mesirah by misnagdim.
What’s that got to do with murder?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 16, 2023, 12:06:24 AM »
What would have happened (על פי טבע) of the Alter Rebbe had been convicted of the crimes he was accused of? What was the punishment for treason at the time?
Everyone agrees מסירות are a terrible thing.
The AR also uses very harsh language to censure Chassidim who were doing so.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 16, 2023, 12:08:13 AM »
I am not disputing the fact that ערוך השולחן visited the Tzemach Tzedek. I don't know how plausible (not very, to say the least) is the account of daily meetings and discussions over an extended visit. I do KNOW that the words (or content) attributed to the Tzemach Tzedek are totally implausible.

You cannot KNOW this.

I most definitely do KNOW this. If you listened to the piece from Rabbi Paltiel's shiur you would realize that אמת is self evident.

Just like I didn't need to see any of the prints or manuscripts to know that what the Rebbe wrote to Rav Hutner is 100% true and accurate, so too I don't need any evidence to prove that the Tzemach Tzedek would not have said something positive about the חרמות which brought about רציחות of Chassidim. As a matter of fact it boggles my mind how ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND can say anything positive about the חרמות after realizing that they brought about שפיכות דמים!

Remember what the Rebbe Maharsh said (wrongfully cut out by @Yehuda57 as Yada Yada, whereas it is actually at the core of the differences):
R Avigdor Miller wrote a sefer about how the holocaust may have saved frum yiddishkeit.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 16, 2023, 12:09:19 AM »
R Avigdor Miller wrote a sefer about how the holocaust may have saved frum yiddishkeit.
I believe there is a similar statement from the Rebbe.

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 16, 2023, 12:16:50 AM »
I believe there is a similar statement from the Rebbe.

Source/clarification please? My understanding of the Rebbes take was more along these lines:

The Rebbe rejected all theological explanations for the Holocaust. What greater conceit — the Rebbe would say — and what greater heartlessness, can there be than to give a "reason" for the death and torture of millions of innocent men, women and children?

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/64888/jewish/The-Rebbe-on-the-Holocaust.htm

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2023, 12:18:10 AM »
I am not disputing the fact that ערוך השולחן visited the Tzemach Tzedek. I don't know how plausible (not very, to say the least) is the account of daily meetings and discussions over an extended visit. I do KNOW that the words (or content) attributed to the Tzemach Tzedek are totally implausible.

You cannot KNOW this.

I most definitely do KNOW this. If you listened to the piece from Rabbi Paltiel's shiur you would realize that אמת is self evident.

Just like I didn't need to see any of the prints or manuscripts to know that what the Rebbe wrote to Rav Hutner is 100% true and accurate, so too I don't need any evidence to prove that the Tzemach Tzedek would not have said something positive about the חרמות which brought about רציחות of Chassidim. As a matter of fact it boggles my mind how ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND can say anything positive about the חרמות after realizing that they brought about שפיכות דמים!

Remember what the Rebbe Maharsh said (wrongfully cut out by @Yehuda57 as Yada Yada, whereas it is actually at the core of the differences):
Nobody said the צ״צ would have chosen the חרמות, only that they greatly benefited chassidus. That might be true even if there was שפיכת דמים. He did not give his blessing to the process, he was commenting on the net result. BTW there were campaigns among the chassidim that resulted in שפיכת דמים as well, for example the Savraners persecution of Breslov. Yet not only did the opponents of breslov consider the overall persecution to be positive, Rav Nachman had a positive spin on the heavenly goings on as a result of a fight between two tzaddikim, that led the Breslovers to consider aspects of it positive as well. It doesn’t mean anyone condones the שפיכת דמים aspect or considers it a good thing in isolation.

Have no other chassidim to this day tried to kill each other in the name of their Rebbe? Does this impugn the whole of chassidus, and the Besht himself because the movement led to שפיכת דמים? Obviously the movement on the whole was good for Klal yisroel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:24:29 AM by jye »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 16, 2023, 12:18:33 AM »
Source/clarification please? My understanding of the Rebbes take was more along these lines:
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/64888/jewish/The-Rebbe-on-the-Holocaust.htm
Cannot check it right now. There was some sort of controversy with the media not liking what he said. IIRC something along the lines of a cancer that needed to be cut out.

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 16, 2023, 12:22:13 AM »
Cannot check it right now. There was some sort of controversy with the media not liking what he said. IIRC something along the lines of a cancer that needed to be cut out.

Thanks. Interested to see when you get a minute to dig it up.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2023, 12:29:31 AM »
Thanks. Interested to see when you get a minute to dig it up.

He’s likely referring to the Rebbe saying (I’m paraphrasing heavily and might be saying it wrong)that we cannot understand Hashem’s ways and that sometimes Hashem’s goodness is enclothed in things that on their surface our cruel.

The Rebbe gave an example of a surgeon ch”v amputating a limb to save their body from a disease. An onlooker might on the surface see the surgeon as vicious, cutting off someone’s limb, if they don’t understand that it’s a kindness to save the person’s life.

The Rebbe wasn’t comparing the holocaust to a cancer at all, he was just suggesting that we cannot understand Hashem’s kindness and used an analogy that can be misinterpreted to mean that.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2023, 12:29:45 AM »

And Reb Avigdor chose not to publish it. Although the publisher gives a long hesber in the beginning explaining why they decided it was now time to publish it, יש לדון if Reb Avigdor would have been maskim.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2023, 12:33:09 AM »
And Reb Avigdor chose not to publish it. Although the publisher gives a long hesber in the beginning explaining why they decided it was now time to publish it, יש לדון if Reb Avigdor would have been maskim.
Much of the content was included many times in his  lectures.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2023, 12:35:24 AM »
He’s likely referring to the Rebbe saying (I’m paraphrasing heavily and might be saying it wrong)that we cannot understand Hashem’s ways and that sometimes Hashem’s goodness is enclothed in things that on their surface our cruel.

The Rebbe gave an example of a surgeon ch”v amputating a limb to save their body from a disease. An onlooker might on the surface see the surgeon as vicious, cutting off someone’s limb, if they don’t understand that it’s a kindness to save the person’s life.

The Rebbe wasn’t comparing the holocaust to a cancer at all, he was just suggesting that we cannot understand Hashem’s kindness and used an analogy that can be misinterpreted to mean that.
Sounds right!

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2023, 12:35:28 AM »

Actually, I just took a look at the Sefer and see that his son Hagoan Reb Shmuel zt”l says that although they don’t know why his father never published it, he certainly did have in mind to publish it one day. So obviously he would know better than anyone else what his father would have done.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2023, 12:59:18 AM »
So what did we have here?

I point out something regarding the statement

Asking

Just like you chose not to believe the story of what happened with the printing of the Tzemach Tzedek.

Do you realize how ridiculous you come across? דער רבי מאנט מדת האמת from Chassidim, מגיד דבריו ליעקב חוקיו ומשפטיו לישראל!

Do you also feel you are not bound to believe stories brought in תורה, נביאים וכתובים without contemporary evidence?

And rather than address or acknowledge we get a distraction about the Holocaust.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2023, 01:05:36 AM »
Sounds right!

Not to get carried away with this side topic, I hope you do realize that this is in no way, shape, or form similar or comparable to

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:38:21 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan