Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1217577 times)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4500 on: April 06, 2024, 10:53:47 AM »
Yes, it sounds like it. Once you've provided a receipt, pictures, proof of no return, etc. why is a tracking number necessary? It's fine if they ask for proof, but once they have it, they ought to stop with the nonsense, especially if the tracking number is not possible to obtain. What's next? If you buy an item at a store are they going to ask you for proof you were in the store and the cashier handed you the item and you took it home with you?

Haven't seen that yet, but wasn't it not too long ago that someone here said that they were requesting proof of the return attempt, like the time and date of the visit or phone call, and who the person spoke to? So I guess we're not too far off from that...everyone needs to take a selfie at the cash register with the product, receipt, and cashier's face and name tag clearly visible and legible. Good luck with that!

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: April 06, 2024, 12:08:01 PM »
Haven't seen that yet, but wasn't it not too long ago that someone here said that they were requesting proof of the return attempt, like the time and date of the visit or phone call, and who the person spoke to? So I guess we're not too far off from that...everyone needs to take a selfie at the cash register with the product, receipt, and cashier's face and name tag clearly visible and legible. Good luck with that!

Don't forget to ask for the cashier's blood type and social security number too

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: April 10, 2024, 09:07:46 AM »
Strangely, it has just turned easier than in the past for me.

I have had small items approved in the past without filling out forms.

But, I just had two claims of over $160 each approved without filling out forms.

A couple other claims for $40+ also approved w/o forms.

These were all submitted past 90 days as well, but of course with a w/i 90 days attempted return date.

The one claim that they are asking forms for was submitted w/i 90 days.

Strange, but it appears from this, submitting the claim after the 90 days is easier to get through?
I thought it would be the other way around.

Perhaps by then they see no return credit and therefore are confident there was no return?

Or maybe it is just luck of who you get as the approver.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: April 10, 2024, 11:04:34 AM »

These were all submitted past 90 days as well, but of course with a w/i 90 days attempted return date.

Strange, but it appears from this, submitting the claim after the 90 days is easier to get through?

Wait, you are submitting claims beyond 90 days from purchase and they are accepting them?

Their T&C states "Once you have verified that the merchant will not accept the eligible item, call 1-800-228-6855 within 90 days of the purchase date to notify us of your request". Are they not enforcing that clause?

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: April 10, 2024, 12:06:12 PM »
Wait, you are submitting claims beyond 90 days from purchase and they are accepting them?

Their T&C states "Once you have verified that the merchant will not accept the eligible item, call 1-800-228-6855 within 90 days of the purchase date to notify us of your request". Are they not enforcing that clause?
IME they never did.
I generally file a claim after the 90 day period is over.

The return attempt must be within 90 days, but the claim can be filed later.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: April 10, 2024, 02:40:00 PM »
IME they never did.
I generally file a claim after the 90 day period is over.

The return attempt must be within 90 days, but the claim can be filed later.

Interesting. I wonder if they will eventually start cracking down on that since things seem to be tightening up

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: April 11, 2024, 05:45:20 PM »

But, I just had two claims of over $160 each approved without filling out forms.

Perhaps by then they see no return credit and therefore are confident there was no return?

My guess would be that it depends more on the person assigned to each claim. But that's just a guess.

Question for you and for any others who have been submitting claims past the 90-day mark (after date of purchase): What's the latest that you've ever submitted a claim, meaning, the longest period of time that you let lapse between the date of purchase and the date you filed the claim? I've never done it more than 90 days after the date of purchase, but there were a couple items that I purchased for Christmas that I didn't end up needing or wanting to keep, but realized it "too late", meaning, by the time I got around to filing a claim, it was already beyond the 90-day mark. I'd be happy to try to file a claim if there's a chance that they'll still get approved, but I may be way too late at this point. Thanks in advance for any data points!

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: April 11, 2024, 06:10:49 PM »
Guess it wouldn’t hurt to try submitting a claim. Personally, I’ve never filed claims beyond 90 days, but more DPs are appreciated.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: April 11, 2024, 06:26:01 PM »
[quote author=jl75 link=topic=7760.msg2812512#msg2812512 date=1712871920

Question for you and for any others who have been submitting claims past the 90-day mark (after date of purchase): What's the latest that you've ever submitted a claim, meaning, the longest period of time that you let lapse between the date of purchase and the date you filed the claim? I've never done it more than 90 days after the date of purchase, but there were a couple items that I purchased for Christmas that I didn't end up needing or wanting to keep, but realized it "too late", meaning, by the time I got around to filing a claim, it was already beyond the 90-day mark. I'd be happy to try to file a claim if there's a chance that they'll still get approved, but I may be way too late at this point. Thanks in advance for any data points!
[/quote]

A couple I recently submitted and were approved were 6 weeks past the 90 days. Bought in November and submitted this week.

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: April 12, 2024, 08:51:38 AM »

Online or with rep.?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: April 13, 2024, 11:42:54 PM »

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: April 16, 2024, 08:25:58 AM »
Annex asked me for a letter from the merchant that I wanted to return and it was denied. I didn't actually reach out because it was easy past return window.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:30:37 AM by zaltz »

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: April 16, 2024, 08:28:36 AM »
Annex asked me for a letter from the merchant that I wanted to return and it was denied. I didn't actually reach out because it was easy past return window.
Why suggestions?

It’s just more friction AMEX is applying to make it more difficult for us to reduce their macro-payout.

Just submit a chatlog or email conversation about your item with the merchant.

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: April 16, 2024, 08:31:51 AM »
It’s just more friction AMEX is applying to make it more difficult for us to reduce their macro-payout.

Just submit a chatlog or email conversation about your item with the merchant.
I didn't actually ask to return cuz it was way past the 14 days...

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: April 16, 2024, 08:37:28 AM »
Any suggestions?
And what if I called over the phone to try return it, how would I bring proof of that?

Online Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: April 16, 2024, 08:57:48 AM »
And what if I called over the phone to try return it, how would I bring proof of that?
Just send them their return policy, see if that will suffice.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: April 16, 2024, 03:58:17 PM »
Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to ask the merchant for a letter, but one that doesn't mention anything about the date when you "tried" to return it. Maybe something like: "To whom it may concern, This is to attest that XYZ inquired about returning an item that was purchased on MM/DD/YY, but we were unfortunately unable to accept the return due to it being past our 14-day return policy." Just make sure not to lie, because they could (and likely will) call the merchant to verify, if it's the type of merchant that can be reached by phone.

My other suggestion would be to buy on Amazon.com next time, because it seems like they're looking for ways to make everything else difficult. At least with Amazon, there's not really anyone to call...of course, I'll say that, and then next thing we'll know, they'll be asking us for a letter stating that we attempted to return an item to Amazon.com and that it wasn't accepted. I wouldn't put that past them at this point!

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4517 on: April 16, 2024, 06:17:22 PM »
Any suggestions?
Email or chat with the merchant now that you want to return it

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: April 16, 2024, 06:25:38 PM »
Email or chat with the merchant now that you want to return it
Too late now it it's past 90 days.

Offline godofchurning

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: April 17, 2024, 01:50:32 AM »
I bought an accent chair and I don’t seem to like it anymore. It’s past the return window. I have already had a claim last year for $300 for a different item. Is it ok to make a claim again? Is applying for another claim going to raise any flags? I spend a lot on my Amex and don’t want to get shut down.