Author Topic: Bethel Farms Dairy / CY Dairy  (Read 13657 times)

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Bethel Farms Dairy / CY Dairy
« on: July 28, 2022, 02:14:51 PM »
Completely random, but I just had a Bethel Farms Plain Greek Yogurt and was totally blown away.
*Cynics, skeptics, rigid rule followers who are starting to bristle and breathe heavily check out the disclaimer below.

It was the richest, creamiest, sweetest (and by that I mean the natural sweetness that is found in dairy, lactose. This is an unsweetened product) yogurt. Had an almost fluffy, whipped texture. Incredible!

To compare, I have had the gamut of CY yogurts (Mehadrin, J&J, Norman's, Gevina, etc.) as well as higher-end CS yogurts (my previous favorite was Stoneyfield Grass Fed Greek). Bethel was in its own category.

I generally try to choose the product with the most protein and least amt of preservatives/additives, so I was tossing it up with Gevina Nonfat Greek (which has no additives and 22g of protein per 8oz) and Mehadrin's Nonfat (which has 24g of protein per 8oz) or the Stoneyfield when I was able to find it in Whole Foods. Bethel's is lower in protein, 18g per cup or 12g for the 5.3 container, but for me the health benefits alone of the grass-fed milk would still make me choose it over the others.

I think I had previously tried Bethel Yogurt (but it might have been the Leben) maybe 2-3 years ago, but the texture was a bit lumpy and I couldn't get passed that so I didn't try it again. But now, with some diced mango inside, wow!

We have already converted to Bethel milk, once the smaller 32oz bottles were available. The milk is also amazing, but has a shorter shelf life since it's only pasteurized at low heat to maintain as much enzymatic and bacterial integrity as possible.

It's funny that people seem to think that the shelf-life of dairy is indicative of its quality (which may possibly be true if we were discussing raw dairy) but with current manufacturing processes, I think it's directly opposite. Pretty sure my local supermarket only gets Bethel milk restocked once a week, so there are times when we run out, and other times when we need to toss the leftovers. But overall, I find the difference in taste and quality to be worth it.

Lately, I have been reflecting a lot on how EVERYTHING has become so processed, so cheaply made, so junky (which some people might have chosen/tolerated if things were proportionately inexpensive) and the current inflationary situation even makes it expensive! Maybe I'm becoming old, or maybe I was always old-fashioned, but I feel relieved (and dare I say, hopeful) when I find products that are actually QUALITY.

*Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this company. Just a consumer and fan who wants this business to be around for a long time, in addition to being an unrepentant, kosher foodie who just wants to talk food all day.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
Re: Bethel Farms Dairy / CY Dairy
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 02:18:39 PM »
...and I must thank you,
if you've read the entire dramatic review
and now I bid adieu!

Gotta go start prepping Shabbos!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 11:18:49 PM »
["-"]

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 12:11:32 AM »
My brother went to camp shoresh and said he walked (~20 min) to bethel farm and took a tour. They got to taste chocolate milk and other things
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 12:15:21 AM »
My brother went to camp shoresh and said he walked (~20 min) to bethel farm and took a tour. They got to taste chocolate milk and other things

I'm visiting too here and there in the summer. I love their milk but DW cant stand it, says she smells the cow in it :-\

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 01:24:31 AM »
I'm visiting too here and there in the summer. I love their milk but DW cant stand it, says she smells the cow in it :-\
Pour it in to a Golden Flow bottle and don't tell her, she'll love it...
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 11:24:30 AM »
...and I must thank you,
if you've read the entire dramatic review
and now I bid adieu!

Gotta go start prepping Shabbos!

Your post prompted me to try it, and I must agree that it is unlike any other yogurt I've ever tried. Delicious.

That being said, is it indeed yogurt, or is it more of a "lite" sour cream?

If you look at the nutritional values you will notice that the fat content is by far higher than any "low fat" yogurt out there (cursory look at the grocery shelf only found low-fat and nonfat yogurt, the latter being a nutritional disaster IMHO). So it seems like if you want to get great flavor, don't cut out the fat!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
Your post prompted me to try it, and I must agree that it is unlike any other yogurt I've ever tried. Delicious.

If you look at the nutritional values you will notice that the fat content is by far higher than any "low fat" yogurt out there (cursory look at the grocery shelf only found low-fat and nonfat yogurt, the latter being a nutritional disaster IMHO). So it seems like if you want to get great flavor, don't cut out the fat!
this is specifically a full fat yogurt. in fact, while on the Sadhkin Diet, this specific yogurt was the only one allowed, since when you take out the fat you replace it with far worse things
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »
this is specifically a full fat yogurt. in fact, while on the Sadhkin Diet, this specific yogurt was the only one allowed, since when you take out the fat you replace it with far worse things

I always enjoy seeing the astonishment on the faces of people that pick "blue milk" when I show them that it has a higher sugar content than "red milk".
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Bethel Farms Dairy / CY Dairy
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 11:52:23 AM »
Beware that the shelf life on these items is really short (no preservatives). 50% of the yogurts/lebens on the shelf had a "popped up" foil top, indicating souring.
I bought a leben on Thursday and had it today (Sunday) and it was already spoiled. The yogurts (plain and vanilla) were delicious - my daughter said the vanilla tasted like cheesecake.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »

It's not a low fat yogurt. Have you seen their milk- it has a full layer of cream on top. It's not processed/skimmed/filtered like other milks, they just have their whole milk. I'm not 100% familiar with how all othe dairy is made, but I'm pretty sure there are companies that will skim all their milk and then reintroduce the milkfat/cream to 2-4%.

But with almost everything food related, you are correct, fat = flavor.

Lower fat dairy products will always be higher in carbs, because the ratio of lactose (milk sugar) increases. This will happen even with minimally processed healthier dairy that isn't necessarily a 'nutritional disaster'. But once you go to the flavored sweetened stuff- you're basically eating dessert.
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 12:25:31 PM »
Beware that the shelf life on these items is really short (no preservatives). 50% of the yogurts/lebens on the shelf had a "popped up" foil top, indicating souring.
I bought a leben on Thursday and had it today (Sunday) and it was already spoiled. The yogurts (plain and vanilla) were delicious - my daughter said the vanilla tasted like cheesecake.

Ughh.

I really wonder if there is an alternative that doesn't sacrifice flavor/nutritional benefits, or is this something that just happens?

Probably would be best to restock a few times a week instead of buying in bulk, but I even think the supermarkets restock more than once a week...
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »

I have actually said the same thing.

I do know that it def starts smelling cow'ier when it's nearing the end of its shelf life, whereas when it's fresher it has a sweeter smell.

Don't notice it now anymore, not sure if I've gotten accustomed to it, or if I gotten better at buying it fresher?
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »

Aside for the lack of preservatives, there is also the pasteurization process. Since this is only low temp pasteurized, it still has a lot of bacterial activity happening. Opposite is ultra (or triple or whatever) pasteurized products that kill off most/all of the bacteria which dramatically slows the souring.
— Richard Feynman

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »
I have been getting their yogurts for a few years now, I have yet to find a comparable non-heimish brand with yogurt as sweet and creamy. Even the full fat Fage yogurt does not come close.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 12:52:13 PM »
I also happen to know the Franklins, they are wonderful people.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »
I also happen to know the Franklins, they are wonderful people.

So is Bethel an exclusive CY company at the next level (Shomer Shabbos ownership?) up from Kreider/POTF?
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 01:10:37 PM »
starts smelling cow'ier

Gotta start using this line.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 01:16:08 PM »
Gotta start using this line.
Stinks like BS

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2022, 01:17:29 PM »
So is Bethel an exclusive CY company at the next level (Shomer Shabbos ownership?) up from Kreider/POTF?
Yes, they also have an exclusive poultry farm: http://pellehpoultry.com/about-pelleh-poultry/
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.