Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1201574 times)

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #5140 on: April 22, 2023, 02:09:23 PM »
I was on a direct flight from EWR- TLV UA90 flying business. The flight was delayed boarding (30min) then boarded, delayed again (45min) because of small mechanical issue and then cancelled and everyone was pulled off the flight because of a fuel tank leak. We had to go to customer service counter which was understaffed and it took over 2 hours to get rebooked. I had to stand there with a baby and no stroller since they wouldn’t give it to me at gate check. Mind you this is all from post midnight at the flight was supposed to take off around 11pm. Ended up getting rebooked on a connecting flight the next day. We spent another 2 hours in the airport because they couldn’t find our stroller. Whole ordeal was 10 hours at the airport, needing to then go to a hotel and take a connecting flight leaving from LGA the next day.

United is now offering me $300 per ticket which is nothing compared to the cost of my ticket and what I went through. Any tips on what I’m entitled too and how to get more? Thank you.
You should be able to get 3100 shekel a person according to israeli law.
Email customercare@united.com and mention this.
They may offer you a $1200 voucher as well.

Offline DWS

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: April 22, 2023, 10:56:25 PM »
I missed my connecting flight due to first flight being delayed because of mechanical issues. Next flight they put me on was 4 days later and luggage stayed in the airport the whole time. Delta says they will reimburse for anything we need to buy over the next 4 days. How cheap do I need to be? They say there is no limit, you can buy whatever you need for 4 days. ANyone had experience with this and how much they reimburse for? Also how long does it take to get it back?

Offline nycman

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: April 23, 2023, 01:44:59 AM »
You should be able to get 3100 shekel a person according to israeli law.
Email customercare@united.com and mention this.
They may offer you a $1200 voucher as well.

Thanks, however, this was a flight going from Newark (USA) to Tel Aviv. Not the other way around. Wouldn’t this only apply if I was departing from Israel airspace?

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: April 23, 2023, 02:03:04 AM »
Thanks, however, this was a flight going from Newark (USA) to Tel Aviv. Not the other way around. Wouldn’t this only apply if I was departing from Israel airspace?
No

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: April 24, 2023, 03:04:50 AM »
Ba174 was delayed (supposed to be a 1:10 connection) and caused me to miss my connecting flight to tlv they rebooked me in Elal 14 hours later, am I entitled to anything?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 04:48:16 AM by Shmulie »

Offline ruru1000

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: April 24, 2023, 10:05:42 AM »
I was on a United flight from DCA to EWR (1k status). Was seated in coach. flight was full, including 1st class, and I was #4 on the wait list when I boarded.  As we started taxi'ing back, a notification popped up on my phone saying that I was just upgraded to 1st class. I told the flight attendant, but she said someone was already sitting in that seat and to wait a few minutes. Another flight attendant came over and said that the gate agent told the last person that boarded that they should sit in 2D because it was empty. The FA told me that because we were already moving there was nothing she can do.   I didn't care that much because it's only a 45 min flight, but I was a little annoyed that the gate agent told someone (who likely didn't have status - but even if he did, definitely wasn't top of the upgrade list) to just take the 1st class seat. Flight attendant gave me $150 future flight credit.

Offline DealJew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5146 on: April 24, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »
I missed my connecting flight due to first flight being delayed because of mechanical issues. Next flight they put me on was 4 days later and luggage stayed in the airport the whole time. Delta says they will reimburse for anything we need to buy over the next 4 days. How cheap do I need to be? They say there is no limit, you can buy whatever you need for 4 days. ANyone had experience with this and how much they reimburse for? Also how long does it take to get it back?
I wouldn't say that the sky is the limit but they will pay you back for reasonable expenses that you have receipts for. It doesn't take too long.
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5147 on: April 24, 2023, 10:25:55 AM »
Ba174 was delayed (supposed to be a 1:10 connection) and caused me to miss my connecting flight to tlv they rebooked me in Elal 14 hours later, am I entitled to anything?
How long was the delay? Was the connection under a hour after the Delay? See UK261

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: April 24, 2023, 01:05:08 PM »
How long was the delay? Was the connection under a hour after the Delay? See UK261
I think we took off about 30 minutes late
Took about 25 minutes to get off the plane got to the terminal with about 10 minutes to the flight and they told me I missed it

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: April 24, 2023, 04:07:23 PM »
I think we took off about 30 minutes late
Took about 25 minutes to get off the plane got to the terminal with about 10 minutes to the flight and they told me I missed it
If the connection was under 60 minutes they are required to compensate.

Offline Realshlomo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: April 24, 2023, 04:19:09 PM »
Asking for a friend.

Delayed jetblue flight from 430pm to 9pm from PBI to Boston. Missed connecting in Boston to JFK had an overnight stay.

They don't want to give any compensation. Anything to do?

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: April 24, 2023, 04:21:11 PM »
Asking for a friend.

Delayed jetblue flight from 430pm to 9pm from PBI to Boston. Missed connecting in Boston to JFK had an overnight stay.

They don't want to give any compensation. Anything to do?
There are no legal requirements for airlines to compensate for domestic delays. They do have to provide a hotel stay for the night which i'm sure they offered. Though, it doesn't hurt to email them and give it a try. Explain how this disrupted your plans etc.

Offline Realshlomo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: April 24, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
There are no legal requirements for airlines to compensate for domestic delays. They do have to provide a hotel stay for the night which i'm sure they offered. Though, it doesn't hurt to email them and give it a try. Explain how this disrupted your plans etc.
Would standard Sapphire Reserve/Preferred insurance insure on a stopover?

Offline Vilner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: April 24, 2023, 11:55:52 PM »
Had flight booked United TLV-EWR was cancelled due to bad weather in NY so plane didnt come in spent the whole day on the phone getting new flight got one with 4 hour stopover when got to airport couldn't check in cuz united agent put in lap infant name wrong when doing the change. Had no way to get home so booked new tickets Elal in airport $4700 for 2 passengers and lap infant. Any way to get that reimbursed from United? Emailed them and got travel credit but thats not as helpful to me as the cash

Offline Rita99

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: April 25, 2023, 03:07:54 AM »
I wouldn't say that the sky is the limit but they will pay you back for reasonable expenses that you have receipts for. It doesn't take too long.
Is that like a week or a month or 2? Anyone else have experience with how much they reimburse you for? Also we got back our luggage in final destination with 2 suitcases completely torn and most things inside ruined. I dont have receipts for those things, any way to make a claim for them? Took pics of it all...

Offline dantheman18

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: April 26, 2023, 06:19:15 AM »
lufthansa iad to tlv first class pre ordered kosher meal in advance they forgot it...by the time i landed i had an email with a 300 euro voucher...can i get anything more out of this?

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: April 26, 2023, 06:43:28 AM »
If the connection was under 60 minutes they are required to compensate.

I believe the original connection was supposed to be 70 minutes.
are you saying if the actual time I had to connect was under 60 minutes or what was scheduled

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: April 26, 2023, 08:54:50 AM »
I believe the original connection was supposed to be 70 minutes.
are you saying if the actual time I had to connect was under 60 minutes or what was scheduled
Actual Time

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: April 26, 2023, 12:35:57 PM »
I flew what was supposed to be Iberia from JFK - TLV , with a stopover in MAD. The plane took off with an hour delay with us on plane , pilot said they were trying to get approval to fly, which caused us to miss our connecting flight. Was with DW and 3 kids.
They rebooked us on arkia 10 hours later , causing us to arrive at TLV about 10 hours after original.
When we arrived they didn’t have our 3 pieces of luggage.
Booked through AA.
I have a few questions I hope someone can help :

1- I didn’t have priority pass activated so paid for the lounge in MAD. Can I get that reimbursed?
2- It seems like Israeli compensation laws allow for a higher compensation for delay than EU. Assuming I contact Iberia and not AA, can I claim EU compensation (600€ a person ) or Israeli (not sure what it is )
3- Is compensation for flight per person including lap infant ?
4- Do I have a delayed baggage claim from Arkia  even though there was an airline switch ?
5- Do delayed baggage claims get compensated per person (5) or per  piece of luggage (3)?
6- Does anyone know if there is a difference between EU and Israeli laws regarding delayed baggage ? And if I can claim from either one ? I can’t seem to find the answer online ( chatgpt not helping )
7- I will be making a claim to card benefits - sapphire reserve - which is $100 a day , max 5 days. Just looking to confirm that is per person not total ?
8- didn’t have our ordered KSML on our initial flight , which wouldn’t have been that bad without the delay , but with 3 kids and unplanned 10+ hour delay it was a disaster. Any hope for compensation for that ? ( I saw online some guys sued and won in Brazilian court but couldn’t find anywhere else )

TIA !

Offline donedeal12

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle
« Reply #5159 on: April 27, 2023, 07:33:43 AM »
Inbound United LAX-MEL was diverted to HNL, my flight for the next morning MEL-LAX was Canceled and rebooked for 24 hours later on a new flight number.  Additionally the Kosher meals weren't loaded on to the plane and my family of 5 received no kosher meals even though I confirmed prior to the old flight and prior to the new flight.

What compensation am I "eligible" for?

Thank you