Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1115390 times)

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #5200 on: May 18, 2023, 10:18:22 PM »
How long does a delay out of TLV have to be to get compensation?
8h

Offline Danlover111

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: May 19, 2023, 01:05:12 AM »

Offline DealJew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5202 on: May 19, 2023, 01:09:48 AM »
EU law is 4
Correct, but thats only if the flight is within the EU.
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: May 21, 2023, 02:36:42 PM »
Any idea on turnaround times for Delta compensation requests?

Cancelled flights were on 4/16. Requested compensation next day. Have not heard back. All I received was refund of miles and taxes and note that replies for compensation may exceed 30 days.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline haravjake@gmail.co

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis presidents club AA platinum
« Reply #5204 on: May 22, 2023, 12:49:24 PM »
Sure if you ordered, write to them on customer care link. Depending on your status etc you'll get something.
my status is premier platinum and I received 5k miles, can I do better?

Offline jeremiah1083

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: June 02, 2023, 07:49:11 AM »
Hi - I flew Turkish from JFK-TLV for Pesach. We gatechecked a stroller. Turkish broke it. They broke the metal frame and the plastic joint where the wheel connects. BabyJogger said it is unrepairable. I immediately filed a claim with Laufer in TLV, then forwarded that claim to Turkish. We went through several rounds of information requests, until finally they began to review my application for compensation. In the end, they agreed to pay approx. 1/3 of the cost to replace it. It's an $800 stroller, they are willing to pay $271. I have not yet accepted the offer. I would like to replace the stroller and don't understand why I shouldn't be compensated the amount it would cost to replace. I have sent messages through their baggage claims portal, as well as Twitter DMs and have not made any progress. Any suggestions where to go from here? TIA

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5206 on: June 02, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
Hi - I flew Turkish from JFK-TLV for Pesach. We gatechecked a stroller. Turkish broke it. They broke the metal frame and the plastic joint where the wheel connects. BabyJogger said it is unrepairable. I immediately filed a claim with Laufer in TLV, then forwarded that claim to Turkish. We went through several rounds of information requests, until finally they began to review my application for compensation. In the end, they agreed to pay approx. 1/3 of the cost to replace it. It's an $800 stroller, they are willing to pay $271. I have not yet accepted the offer. I would like to replace the stroller and don't understand why I shouldn't be compensated the amount it would cost to replace. I have sent messages through their baggage claims portal, as well as Twitter DMs and have not made any progress. Any suggestions where to go from here? TIA
They are very difficult with these kinds of claims. Accepting their offer might be your best bet.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: June 02, 2023, 12:38:01 PM »

I don't know much about this, but the DOT seems to say that the airline only has to pay the depreciated value, not replacement cost.

How old was the stroller? Not sure how long the estimated useful life of a stroller is, but maybe 10 years for a good quality brand?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: June 02, 2023, 04:06:15 PM »
I don't know much about this, but the DOT seems to say that the airline only has to pay the depreciated value, not replacement cost.

How old was the stroller? Not sure how long the estimated useful life of a stroller is, but maybe 10 years for a good quality brand?
United cut me a check for the whole thing when they broke a handle.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: June 02, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »
United cut me a check for the whole thing when they broke a handle.
The fact that they did doesn’t mean they had to.

They also once cut me a check for $700 EU compensation for a lap infant even though EU law doesn’t require it :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:27:48 PM by Yehudaa »

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: June 02, 2023, 04:29:39 PM »
Would cc insurance cover it?

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #5211 on: June 04, 2023, 12:58:12 AM »
The fact that they did doesn’t mean they had to.

They also once cut me a check for $700 EU compensation for a lap infant even though EU law doesn’t require it :)
Sure EU doesn't apply to infants?

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #5212 on: June 06, 2023, 01:18:33 PM »
United delayed boarding on flight from EWR to JNB due to "waiting for the crew", and then a further delay on the tarmac for unspecified reasons resulted in the crew timing out and the flight being canceled. Passengers were rebooked on the next flight, which is a full 24 hours later. As of now, they lost paid-for seat assignments, which they've been told will be refunded - but they don't want the refund, they need the better seat!

1) Is there anything to do to get priority on getting that requested seat? (No status, but passenger requires wheelchair assistance)
2) What kind of compensation should the passenger expect for the cancelation?

Offline SHL

• View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: June 06, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »
United delayed boarding on flight from EWR to JNB due to "waiting for the crew", and then a further delay on the tarmac for unspecified reasons resulted in the crew timing out and the flight being canceled. Passengers were rebooked on the next flight, which is a full 24 hours later. As of now, they lost paid-for seat assignments, which they've been told will be refunded - but they don't want the refund, they need the better seat!

1) Is there anything to do to get priority on getting that requested seat? (No status, but passenger requires wheelchair assistance)

DOT clearly states that disability that was disclosed to the airline within the proper time frame (generally 48 hours) must be accommodated first
Push firm and have downloaded the DOT publication called new horizons

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #5214 on: June 06, 2023, 01:49:23 PM »
DOT clearly states that disability that was disclosed to the airline within the proper time frame (generally 48 hours) must be accommodated first
Push firm and have downloaded the DOT publication called new horizons

They will still offer the wheelchair assistance, they just are not giving him the seat he reserved, as the flight is now overbooked thanks to the cancelation.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: June 06, 2023, 01:50:49 PM »

What compensation did they offer?

Offline SHL

• View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: June 06, 2023, 02:07:06 PM »
They will still offer the wheelchair assistance, they just are not giving him the seat he reserved, as the flight is now overbooked thanks to the cancelation.
If the seat is medically necessary (and was declared) they must
If he just booked specific seat on own not required
I have booked a traveler with a knee cast and the airline moved someone who had already reserved a seat because he couldn't fit under the seat and as such needed to be on that side of the aisle
I believe that publication states that they MUST accommodate on next flight which should mean even if they need to IDB a different traveler

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #5217 on: June 06, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »
What compensation did they offer?

Nothing yet. Just a few food vouchers and a hotel voucher which he refused in lieu of being reimbursed for taxis to his own accommodation

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: June 06, 2023, 02:57:21 PM »
Nothing yet. Just a few food vouchers and a hotel voucher which he refused in lieu of being reimbursed for taxis to his own accommodation
Make sure they offer sufficient compensation. A 24 hour delay is pretty painful...

Offline Rita99

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: June 16, 2023, 04:37:06 AM »
Any idea on turnaround times for Delta compensation requests?

Cancelled flights were on 4/16. Requested compensation next day. Have not heard back. All I received was refund of miles and taxes and note that replies for compensation may exceed 30 days.
Anyone have info on this? My flight was at the end of April too and still not receive compensation. Is it worth filing a DOT claim or should I wait to hear from Delta? Im hoping to receive the 3100 NIS Israeli Law money because it was a flight going to TLV. Any advice?