Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 414664 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #480 on: April 24, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
Oy, what a look. A man in a business suit wearing a Jansport. Makes me shudder. Do you also wear a baseball cap? I'll buy you an attache case for your birthday.  :P

Business suit? This is BOS, baby.

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2015, 05:44:25 PM »
Business suit? This is BOS, baby.
Exactly, BOS not LAX. What do you wear? Khakis and a Hawaiian shirt?

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »
You should see what lax lawyers wear.  I've never seen a tie outside of a courtroom

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »
You should see what lax lawyers wear.  I've never seen a tie outside of a courtroom

I wear dress slacks and a dress shirt. Yes, some tax lawyers wear khakis. And some wear odd stuff.

I've been to court all of once, and most have not at all. I wore a suit, and did not say hello to the other frum lawyers because it was in NY.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
I wear dress slacks and a dress shirt. Yes, some tax lawyers wear khakis. And some wear odd stuff.

I've been to court all of once, and most have not at all. I wore a suit, and did not say hello to the other frum lawyers because it was in NY.
LOL

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
this guy is so full of it

Says the person arrogant and simplistic enough to judge a person based on a couple of posts requesting information on a forum. Perhaps a trip to the mirror is due if you're interested in seeing a person who acts like they are "full of it."

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »
this guy is so full of it

Who are you referring to

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »

Ummm, I just want to point out that all this makes it even more remarkable that someone would ever feel uncomfortable looking frum. Shabbos is coming. Gotta go!

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »
Who are you referring to

Ah wrong thread

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #489 on: April 27, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Haven't started studying for the LSAT yet, and I won't have much time to do so over the next few weeks so the June LSAT is unfortunately not much of an option. It is regrettable since from what I understand applying early can result in a significant boost.
Would you consider working for a year, perhaps to see how lawyering is? Esp if you went to a decent undergrad and/or got good grades, maybe consider being a paralegal for a bit and set it up so you can apply for law school early next year? IME, applying early could be worth about 4 points on the LSAT (of course so many variables and just one example, but I got in with i think a 170 and Israeli BTL for columbia b/c i was on top of the pile, while a friend with a 174 didnt get in applying after their early D). and i saved lots of money on applications.

In my NY office, I dress like a paralegal (and worse then some of them), old relaxed khakis with bright cotton button down shirts that are wrinkly. get a comment every once in a while, but as long as the work is good and i wear a suit for clients, no one cares.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 27, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »
MODS, can you merger this with the old law school thread? Seems strange to have this convo separate from the general thread.

Is anyone here an M&A lawyer?
Do you know of a real frum M&A Partner (not real estate) at a big firm? that is the one practice i have never seen a frum guy succeed in.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 27, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »
Do you know of a real frum M&A Partner (not real estate) at a big firm? that is the one practice i have never seen a frum guy succeed in.

I've heard that the lack of frum attorneys in M&A is due to most M&A deals (involving public companies) go down over the weekend, so it makes it difficult for a frum attorney to be involved. Just what I've heard, not talking from first-hand knowledge...

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 27, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
MODS, can you merger this with the old law school thread? Seems strange to have this convo separate from the general thread.

My FIL does M&A, although he does not work for a law firm anymore (he's a partner at a big 4 accounting firm)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2015, 04:09:46 PM »
I've heard that the lack of frum attorneys in M&A is due to most M&A deals (involving public companies) go down over the weekend, so it makes it difficult for a frum attorney to be involved. Just what I've heard, not talking from first-hand knowledge...

This is correct.  I do M&A from the tax side, and even that I've considered shabbos as a reason to focus on other sorts of transactions. 

(Although, the issue is not that most deals go down over the weekend, but that any deal CAN.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
This is correct.  I do M&A from the tax side, and even that I've considered shabbos as a reason to focus on other sorts of transactions. 

(Although, the issue is not that most deals go down over the weekend, but that any deal CAN.

Oh, I thought that public companies specifically want their deals to go down over the weekend because if it happens during the week, the stock price can go a little fugazi.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »
Oh, I thought that public companies specifically want their deals to go down over the weekend because if it happens during the week, the stock price can go a little fugazi.
can address that with just an after hours announcement (most exchanges require that anyway).

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »

Maybe; I wasn't aware of that.  In all events, there's plenty of M&A that isn't public company work.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 27, 2015, 10:15:48 PM »
Maybe; I wasn't aware of that.  In all events, there's plenty of M&A that isn't public company work.

M&A, like when mods merge a thread?

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 28, 2015, 12:49:55 AM »
M&A, like when mods merge a thread?
that would be more like a hostile takeover :P

Offline prelaw

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Would you consider working for a year, perhaps to see how lawyering is? Esp if you went to a decent undergrad and/or got good grades, maybe consider being a paralegal for a bit and set it up so you can apply for law school early next year? IME, applying early could be worth about 4 points on the LSAT (of course so many variables and just one example, but I got in with i think a 170 and Israeli BTL for columbia b/c i was on top of the pile, while a friend with a 174 didnt get in applying after their early D). and i saved lots of money on applications.
In my NY office, I dress like a paralegal (and worse then some of them), old relaxed khakis with bright cotton button down shirts that are wrinkly. get a comment every once in a while, but as long as the work is good and i wear a suit for clients, no one cares.

I was considering taking a year off between undergrad and law school, especially because if not I would be a couple of years younger than the average student enrolling at law school. However, I'm not sure that I would be able to find a job, as my undergrad major does not really lead to a job without more advanced schooling.