Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 826443 times)

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #2140 on: May 11, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »
South Aventura. Great new shul, very open to everyone.
Not as cheap at NMB but prolly comparable to Bay Harbour and Miami Beach. Mostly Condos, which some have a preference for... Valet brings up your groceries etc. Walking distance to ton of stuff. Safe to walk around at night.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2141 on: May 11, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
13 feet wide?!?!? Am I reading that right?
moko pls correct me if indeed 13, but i dont know of any houses in willowbrook (10314) smaller than 18, and most are at least 20 ft wide (mine is 22, with a 28 ft wide lot). that said, i agree that rising prices have made it less attractive, but if u need to work downtown manhattan/brooklyn, its still prob the best option ($500-550k for a decent sized semi and $700k for a full detached house). Unfortunately, the rise in prices has left me stuck in my semi for the foreseeable future (the market is pretty crazy, with nice houses being snatched in DAYS and people knocking on doors with unsolicited offers).

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: May 11, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »
Most 3 b/r are min $4k and often closer to $5k per month. That's extremely high considering you're not building any home equity and not getting a whole lot of space for your money.
That's only for 2/4 br houses. 3 br apartments are cheaper, usually under $3k.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »

moko pls correct me if indeed 13, but i dont know of any houses in willowbrook (10314) smaller than 18, and most are at least 20 ft wide (mine is 22, with a 28 ft wide lot). that said, i agree that rising prices have made it less attractive, but if u need to work downtown manhattan/brooklyn, its still prob the best option ($500-550k for a decent sized semi and $700k for a full detached house). Unfortunately, the rise in prices has left me stuck in my semi for the foreseeable future (the market is pretty crazy, with nice houses being snatched in DAYS and people knocking on doors with unsolicited offers).

Whats the commute to the city like ? Whats property and city income taxes like ?

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 11, 2016, 05:17:26 PM »
That's only for 2/4 br houses. 3 br apartments are cheaper, usually under $3k.
Not in Pico afaik.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: May 11, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »

Whats the commute to the city like ? Whats property and city income taxes like ?
Wouldn't that be the same as the rest of the city?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: May 11, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
Wouldn't that be the same as the rest of the city?
Probably similiar , although I know on my w2s used to specify queens.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: May 11, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
Not in Pico afaik.
Last I looked (2 years ago) a 3 br apartment was around $2600, so even accounting for an increase in the last 2 years I can't see it being much more than $3k.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 11, 2016, 05:47:12 PM »

downtown commute from staten island is great with express buses (note $6 each way on metrocard) x10/11 taking about 35 minutes to first stop in downtown manhattan during normal commute hours (longer if you take a bus after 850am). Midtown is longer, around an hour+ though there is an x31 during rush hours that gets to 34th st in under an hour (faster if u go earlier) and goes from 42nd to willowbrook on the way home http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x031cur.pdf
city taxes are same as far as i know, property generally too, my 3200sq ft semi is like $3500 in real estate taxes per year.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:34 PM »
21 Livingston ($459k), 537 Buchanan ($499k) both measured just over 11ft wide  inside.
Anything 16-18 ft wide is going for over 500k and tend to be only 35-40ft long. IME

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
Not in Pico afaik.

Even if they are 3k in Pico, outside of NY or LA those prices are INSANE.  You can get a HUGE house and yard for a 3k mortgage in Denver and a nice house for a 3k/month 15 year mortgage in Denver (and it's way more expensive here than in other Midwestern cities) plus our property tax is a quarter of California and our day school tuition is about half too.  We moved here from LA and when I tell my friends that in just a few years we won't have any mortgage that blows their mind!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2151 on: May 11, 2016, 08:45:47 PM »
21 Livingston ($459k), 537 Buchanan ($499k) both measured just over 11ft wide  inside.
Anything 16-18 ft wide is going for over 500k and tend to be only 35-40ft long. IME

that's a narrow house for that amount of money. Is it very modern and updated? (Wiring, plumbing, flooring, kitchen, etc...)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:56 PM »
that's a narrow house for that amount of money. Is it very modern and updated? (Wiring, plumbing, flooring, kitchen, etc...)
yes

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:58 PM »
Even if they are 3k in Pico, outside of NY or LA those prices are INSANE.  You can get a HUGE house and yard for a 3k mortgage in Denver and a nice house for a 3k/month 15 year mortgage in Denver (and it's way more expensive here than in other Midwestern cities) plus our property tax is a quarter of California and our day school tuition is about half too.  We moved here from LA and when I tell my friends that in just a few years we won't have any mortgage that blows their mind!
How long ago did you move? Why did you chose Denver?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 11, 2016, 10:22:14 PM »
downtown commute from staten island is great with express buses (note $6 each way on metrocard) x10/11 taking about 35 minutes to first stop in downtown manhattan during normal commute hours (longer if you take a bus after 850am). Midtown is longer, around an hour+ though there is an x31 during rush hours that gets to 34th st in under an hour (faster if u go earlier) and goes from 42nd to willowbrook on the way home http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x031cur.pdf
city taxes are same as far as i know, property generally too, my 3200sq ft semi is like $3500 in real estate taxes per year.
Come out to Long Island. The commute to downtown is a bit longer, (takes my wife approx 50 min and 35 on Sundays) but we have lirr for those working in midtown. You get a lot more for your money out here. And after saving on no city income tax you only end up paying 2-3 thousand more in property tax.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:53 PM »
How long ago did you move? Why did you chose Denver?

It's almost 10 years now.  We wanted somewhere close to LA that we could fly back often to visit family, which we do and flights are very cheap.  Denver had way more established infrastructure/schools than Phoenix and Vegas where we visited (couldn't take the heat in Phoenix also, although we do go their almost every winter for vacation) and we probably would have liked the community in Seattle but couldn't take the weather there either (Denver has as many sunny days as San Diego).  We also had good friends from LA who moved and told us to check it out and once we did we really liked it. We also liked the fact that there is housing literally from 100k to 2+million within walking distance to Shuls and that all kinds different people can find a home and interact together as part of the community.

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • CardCenter - Discounted gift cards
« Reply #2156 on: May 11, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »

21 Livingston ($499k), 537 Buchanan ($469k) both measured just over 11ft wide  inside.
Ftfy

Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
It's almost 10 years now.  We wanted somewhere close to LA that we could fly back often to visit family, which we do and flights are very cheap.  Denver had way more established infrastructure/schools than Phoenix and Vegas where we visited (couldn't take the heat in Phoenix also, although we do go their almost every winter for vacation) and we probably would have liked the community in Seattle but couldn't take the weather there either (Denver has as many sunny days as San Diego).  We also had good friends from LA who moved and told us to check it out and once we did we really liked it. We also liked the fact that there is housing literally from 100k to 2+million within walking distance to Shuls and that all kinds different people can find a home and interact together as part of the community.
Cool! Too bad housing prices are no longer on the low end of that spectrum.

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »
wow 20 foot wide lot for $500k. its getting really crazy (i got my 28 ft wide in move in condition without needing ANY work for $380k in 2009 before the rush :), and friends got semis for below 350k...). Still lower prices than KGH, but maybe just wait for the next downturn?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
Cool! Too bad housing prices are no longer on the low end of that spectrum.

If you're willing to get a condo or townhouse you can still have that low end but yes a house now will set you back at least 300k.  Although we bought at the peak 10 years ago and it is only in the past year or so that prices caught up to and zoomed ahead of when we bought.

Btw I am feeling good I don't live in a place where houses are compared by how wide they are...it's like the Jewish version of rednecks comparing their single and double wide trailers! 😂😂