Topic Wiki

I created an account to say this

I am a survivor of abuse

I tried to type up a longer, more detailed post but it got too hard. The bottom line is the following

There's no such thing as universal feelings, reactions, desires, needs that all victims share. Each one is an individual who suffered alone and carries the unique scars that stay with them and each one will react to future situations in life in their own way.

Therefore, there is no single response to abuse that will leave all victims feeling safe, secure, validated, supported, closure and everything else all the well meaning people here want to give them.

However, I think there is a single response that would leave all victims feeling further pain and trauma and that is "It can't be."

Rabbi Shimon Russell - How to Safeguard and Protect our Children

https://youtu.be/fefqSvXf0JI

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 12, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Author Topic: Chaim Walder dies  (Read 130622 times)

Offline YossieW

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 518
    • View Profile
Re: Chaim Walder dies
« Reply #540 on: December 30, 2021, 12:30:37 PM »
I wasn't referring to those quotes (which, btw, when it comes to R'Gershon Eidelstein Shlita was horribly misquoted).

assuming you are correct that R' Gershon Eidelstein is being misquoted then those close to him should convey that and make sure that the proper message does get out because I have seen people using that as either justification to bash him or the flip side to blame those who have come forward

if those who are close don't attempt to get a clarification then as R" Tzvi Gluck put it  "We have set our community back light years, creating a tragic scenario where innocent victims will be afraid to speak out because the community will label them as rodfim and murderers, instead of placing the blame squarely where it belongs – on the shoulders of those who abuse children"

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #541 on: December 30, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
assuming you are correct that R' Gershon Eidelstein is being misquoted then those close to him should convey that and make sure that the proper message does get out because I have seen people using that as either justification to bash him or the flip side to blame those who have come forward

if those who are close don't attempt to get a clarification then as R" Tzvi Gluck put it  "We have set our community back light years, creating a tragic scenario where innocent victims will be afraid to speak out because the community will label them as rodfim and murderers, instead of placing the blame squarely where it belongs – on the shoulders of those who abuse children"
I think the quote that went out was more to a point that (I think) @YitzyS made: while he may be a monster, and someone in a position of authority or his employer may need to take public action which while harmful to his psyche and reputation is a necessary part of dealing with such people, there is no reason nor gain in regular people peddling gossip to his detriment merely for their own enjoyment. It was a repudiation of simple gossip, not a defense of CW Ch”v. R’ Gershon himself publicly stated earlier that one should not read his books until the investigation is complete!

I don’t necessarily have a problem with that viewpoint, if indeed R’ Gershon said it (of course all we have to go on that he even said it is a random anonymously forwarded unsigned whatsapp message).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 30, 2021, 01:41:30 PM »
Why can’t this be a teachable moment that we can appreciate great work but not the person just like we teach our kids not to idolize sports stars? This feels to me like a non-yiddish haskofah of cancel culture. Should we ban must read MLK literature because of his checkered morality or other great people that we know today had depraved morals? On a similar context, should Kof-k’s remove the hechsher on Ben-& Jerries and many others such cases.
While we have seen many therapists and rabonim ban his books, to the best of my knowledge we have yet to hear from mainstream Daas Torah on this topic. Hopefully they will issue guidance (after consulting with therapists) and I will follow suit. For now I told my kids, respect the work but the person has been accused of committing the worst crimes and  I would never allow you kids to be near him with a ten foot pole (similar to how I talk to them about Trump).  We may need to remove his books based on our robonin guidelines.
I will point out that Rabbi Russel, who is sadly an expert on this topic did make a compelling point regarding adding trauma to victims seeing it as supporting an abuser. I think that’s a question again to Daas Torah if it’s valid enough of a reason for me to not allow it in my private dwelling.
No comparison with Ben & Jerrys. Don't hold your breath.

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 30, 2021, 01:44:36 PM »
An interesting perspective:
Could it be that CW really did teshuva before he took his own life, but wrote his suicide letter the way he did, in order to protect his family from having to face what he did, and allow them to continue to live in denial?
My big question is: Did anyone know about this for all these years. If so, who?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 30, 2021, 01:46:53 PM »

Mamesh כל המרחם על האכזרים סופו להתאכזר על הרחמנים
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 30, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 30, 2021, 02:14:19 PM »

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #547 on: December 30, 2021, 02:31:30 PM »
https://rabbidunner.com/soul-searching/
He brings out a point I was wondering about. In what capacity did he have patients? Was he a social worker? Psychologist? Something else? An untrained "mentor"? He seems to say it was the last. Is that the case?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Flatbush

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 30, 2021, 02:57:49 PM »

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 30, 2021, 03:00:06 PM »
https://rabbidunner.com/soul-searching/
He makes some very good points, and there is the concept of קבל את האמת ממי שאמרו, but from the few articles of his that I read it seemed that he's very scornful of the frummer community. No wonder he jumps on this bandwagon so quick. I'm not happy with the sympathy some have with CW, but I'm not interested in the mockings of folks like these either.

Additionally, I find it very ironic that in the short bio he has about himself, the larger part consists of this;

In 1987 Rabbi Dunner was introduced to the legendary Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach (1925-1994), an inspirational spiritual guru, and the father of modern Jewish religious music who was known as the “Singing Rabbi”. Rabbi Dunner developed a close friendship with Rabbi Carlebach, a relationship tragically ended by Rabbi Carlebach’s untimely death. Rabbi Carlebach’s final series of concerts took place in the UK in the days before he died, organized and promoted by Rabbi Dunner.

https://rabbidunner.com/about/

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 30, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »
My big question is: Did anyone know about this for all these years. If so, who?
Idk if people knew about his deeds with minors, the issues with married women were well known (not sure to what degree, people knew to say keep away from him).
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 30, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »
Idk if people knew about his deeds with minors, the issues with married women were well known (not sure to what degree, people knew to say keep away from him).
And yet nobody managed to get the word out there for all schools and organization that he should NEVER be used as a therapist?? What a horrendous failure.
I can't think of this happening in any frum society that when there is well known shmutz on someone that he can keep a position with children.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 30, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »
He makes some very good points, and there is the concept of קבל את האמת ממי שאמרו, but from the few articles of his that I read it seemed that he's very scornful of the frummer community. No wonder he jumps on this bandwagon so quick. I'm not happy with the sympathy some have with CW, but I'm not interested in the mockings of folks like these either.

Additionally, I find it very ironic that in the short bio he has about himself, the larger part consists of this;

https://rabbidunner.com/about/
I think לגבי this situation there is alot of קבל את האמת ממי שאמרו required. There is no doubt Haaretz is a frum hating left wing Arab loving progressive degenerate publication. Is that a reason to ignore what they wrote? There are too many people busy pointing out the faults and ulterior motives of everyone involved. Now is not the time for that. Now is the time to say yes, we have a massive massive problem, we are failing our kids, our own integrity, and our most basic purpose as yidden. Let's all acknowledge that out loud and think about what we can do about it. I feel bad for anyone who has to justify things like what R Gershon said. I don't know what I would do, but definitely a good think and reevaluation is in order.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 30, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »
And yet nobody managed to get the word out there for all schools and organization that he should NEVER be used as a therapist?? What a horrendous failure.
I can't think of this happening in any frum society that when there is well known shmutz on someone that he can keep a position with children.
Happens all the time, especially when the establishment is behind someone. There was a certain very well known Rav in certain circles admitted to terrible things. A few years later he has many people attending his shiurim and he is steadily rebuilding. And this is in circles which are relatively rational.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 30, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »
Happens all the time, especially when the establishment is behind someone. There was a certain very well known Rav in certain circles admitted to terrible things. A few years later he has many people attending his shiurim and he is steadily rebuilding. And this is in circles which are relatively rational.
Happens all the time? I bet not. Talking of Berland? He's a Rebbe and mystic leader to his followers, such people tend to lose their logic.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #555 on: December 30, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
He brings out a point I was wondering about. In what capacity did he have patients? Was he a social worker? Psychologist? Something else? An untrained "mentor"? He seems to say it was the last. Is that the case?

https://twitter.com/ezalmanov/status/1308503517657784320

(Note the date, he is not responding to this case)

As PG said upthread, had the issue been Shabbos and not married women, would those who knew remained silent? What if it had been married men? I'd wager anything he'd have been blacklisted with extreme prejudice.

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 30, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »
Happens all the time? I bet not. Talking of Berland? He's a Rebbe and mystic leader to his followers, such people tend to lose their logic.
I think he's referring to a rabbi in England.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 30, 2021, 03:48:58 PM »
I think he's referring to a rabbi in England.
Neither. A Rabbi in the dati leumi community in Israel.
I wish it didnt happen all the time. What should I do that I know about multiple such stories. With these things it's likely that as much as we know about there much more we didn't and probably won't hear about, unless the "leadership" wakes up or we manage to wake them up.
https://www.facebook.com/dov.weinroth/posts/1567877373588972
Dovi Weinrot was a friend of CW, was maspid him by the levaya, decried the lashon hara, and has now made a public u turn. If only we had some of our leader admit they can be wrong (like the beautiful letter from the Steipler up thread).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:53:10 PM by JlmBoi »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 30, 2021, 03:54:26 PM »
Interesting Prospective
https://nefesh.org/YitziHorowitz/vilifying-chaim-walder.html

Interesting, but a very dark road to go down, and now isn't necessarily the time for that discussion.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 30, 2021, 04:00:48 PM »
Does anyone have the letter R Kamenetsky put out?