Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live  (Read 824802 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros And Cons Of Where You Live
« Reply #4160 on: August 15, 2023, 04:34:21 PM »
God deciding who lives and dies does not mean we shouldn't be doing what is required by halacha, such as having a Dr as you say. what about running out on shabbos? There was a time when some rabbonim did not want any hatzalahs to operate on shabbos...

This DR requirement needs to be unpacked more to understand the svaras behind it and how it applies to having local EMS. One could certainly argue that EMS knowledge of medicine nowadays is greater than DR's 1000 years ago.
If the Dr requirement doesn't apply to EMS, there is definitely no halachik need for hatzalah. We are obviously working with the assumption that it does apply, so the question is at what point is the local EMS insufficient. I can't see how hatzalah would be required in a city with local EMS response times of 1 minute.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ben89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: August 15, 2023, 06:23:42 PM »
And I understand the need for that in a city where it would take 20 minutes otherwise.

But in a city that has ridiculously fast response times, is this the best use of community resources?
Maybe it is and we've been missing out for years, but the question is fair.
IME it took 4 minutes for them to come in CH

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: August 15, 2023, 06:26:26 PM »
I'm very hesitant to argue on RNTF, or any Rav for that matter. However in my 12 years by my yeshiva which has an AED as well, it was also never used.

Unless you're in BMG, thats apples to oranges.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4163 on: August 15, 2023, 07:30:53 PM »
There is no argument that EMS knowledge of medicine nowadays is many orders of magnitude greater than DR's 100 years ago.
FTFY

ETA: See attached

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 07:35:58 PM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4164 on: August 15, 2023, 07:57:15 PM »
IME it took 4 minutes for them to come in CH
That's not too bad.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: August 15, 2023, 09:32:30 PM »
That's not too bad.
Indeed, especially for a place where they can't drive because they are drinking vodka all day...  :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4166 on: August 15, 2023, 09:54:07 PM »
Indeed, especially for a place where they can't drive because they are drinking vodka all day...  :P
Wrong CH.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #4167 on: August 15, 2023, 10:40:05 PM »
Wrong CH.

Look who's actually ad dlo yoda

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #4168 on: August 15, 2023, 10:55:24 PM »

You're going to say this was a joke and you didn't mean it, but enough with the slander against an entire community. Stop with the hatred and mockery already. The idea that the entire neighborhood of thousands of people is drunk on vodka all day is ridiculous. It may seem like a big funny joke to you, but it is embarrassing, and it's high time you stopped with this libelous trope. We do not drink vodka all day. These days, it's probably tequila.

Online mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #4169 on: August 16, 2023, 02:37:56 AM »
There's a Mir legend that someone once offered to donate AEDs for all the batei medrashim in the Mir.
RNTFs response: hard pass. If they are there, they will get use. (not a direct quote!) maybe @mevinyavin remembers more details?

Agav, in my 12 years in the Mir, I never ever heard of anyone needing CPR while on the yeshiva campus.
Never heard this one. Although I also never heard of anyone needing CPR. We do have lots of doctors learning in the various batei midrashim, though. (The one I learn in has two doctors and three hatzala members - out of something like 50?)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: August 16, 2023, 08:40:41 AM »
Wrong CH.
Wow, that's impressive! To get from Crown Heights to Cleveland Heights in 4 minutes a little fast even on Hatzolah standards.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 16, 2023, 08:46:08 AM »
You're going to say this was a joke and you didn't mean it, but enough with the slander against an entire community. Stop with the hatred and mockery already. The idea that the entire neighborhood of thousands of people is drunk on vodka all day is ridiculous. It may seem like a big funny joke to you, but it is embarrassing, and it's high time you stopped with this libelous trope. We do not drink vodka all day. These days, it's probably tequila.
On a serious note, the only way I know that there is anything about Chabad and vodka is because I've heard it in jokes told over by Lubabvitchers.

One of my favorite jokes about it is when someone sees a Lubabvicher taking shot after shot of vodka and wonders aloud how he can do it, didn't he rebbe make a takanah that every person may only have one shot? To which the man responds, "Indeed, every person may only have one shot. But after a shot of vodka, I'm a new person!"

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #4172 on: August 16, 2023, 08:48:36 AM »
On a serious note, the only way I know that there is anything about Chabad and vodka is because I've heard it in jokes told over by Lubabvitchers.

One of my favorite jokes about it is when someone sees a Lubabvicher taking shot after shot of vodka and wonders aloud how he can do it, didn't he rebbe make a takanah that every person may only have one shot? To which the man responds, "Indeed, every person may only have one shot. But after a shot of vodka, I'm a new person!"
Yo, I have been hearing excuses for decades and I've never heard that one

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 16, 2023, 08:02:44 PM »
Someone was telling R Dovid Soloveitchik the story of how a beggar wasn't happy with R Chaim Brisker's donation of a Ruble. he bent it in half to scare R Chaim. R Chaim took the ruble and bent it back straight. The whole time R Dovid was shaking his head like it never happened. The storyteller asked "it never happened?". R Dovid replied "It wasn't a ruble, it was a zloty!".

Offline holyland

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: August 17, 2023, 08:14:52 PM »
Just read this great line:

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."

Theres truth there. Very few cities provide something truly different. The rest are the same in more ways than they are different.

Ofcourse you can highlight differences, but how many cities are truly one of a kind vs similar enough? Very few.

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: August 17, 2023, 08:40:34 PM »

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."

Theres truth there. Very few cities provide something truly different. The rest are the same in more ways than they are different.

Ofcourse you can highlight differences, but how many cities are truly one of a kind vs similar enough? Very few.
Three cities but many 'countries'!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #4176 on: August 20, 2023, 10:00:02 PM »

Spoken like someone who has never left one fo those cities, and I'll let you figure out which one...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: October 23, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline WayBackMachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: November 19, 2023, 01:44:10 AM »