Topic Wiki

can we

Author Topic: Pesach Program Discussion Master Thread  (Read 215302 times)

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Pesach Program Discussion Master Thread
« Reply #900 on: April 23, 2023, 10:33:07 PM »
This is happening?
IDK. I think people should give him a break. If he did business wrongdoings there is a way to deal with it. But bash him publicly and call him names isn't fair IMO. I just heard he is in his third marriage!! He obviously is messed up. No need to force him into lie detector test when the results won't help anyone.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 23, 2023, 10:35:16 PM »
That's self explanatory. When your company is being impersonated and your finds are being diverted, you're all in on the investigation. You're not dismissive.
That's not how it actually works in the real world.

Don't forget, this is not exactly a case where they have a relationship with this vendor. There is no trust here in the first place.

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 23, 2023, 10:38:00 PM »

That's not how it actually works in the real world.

Don't forget, this is not exactly a case where they have a relationship with this vendor. There is no trust here in the first place.

I don't see the relevance. And I don't believe you'd be disinterested if the source of this information was someone with whom you've had no relationship.
Your company is being impersonated and your finds are being diverted. There's surely no need to explain why you'd be invested in that investigation.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #903 on: April 23, 2023, 10:40:08 PM »
Oh, our funds are being diverted, that's terrible! Can you please send proof of that wire?

But the mean people on social media! Lashon hara! Rechilus! Motzei shem ra! Reshoim arurim!

Uh, OK then.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 23, 2023, 10:43:20 PM »
Oh, our funds are being diverted, that's terrible! Can you please send proof of that wire?

But the mean people on social media! Lashon hara! Rechilus! Motzei shem ra! Reshoim arurim!

Uh, OK then.

... I was by the internet asifa, and they said that if you own a smartphone you are a Rasha!

Offline Willie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 23, 2023, 10:43:47 PM »
Why did he not take the 10k from the south africa trip and refund clients/pay vendors from years ago?

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 23, 2023, 10:46:11 PM »

I don't see the relevance. And I don't believe you'd be disinterested if the source of this information was someone with whom you've had no relationship.
Your company is being impersonated and your finds are being diverted. There's surely no need to explain why you'd be invested in that investigation.
Which makes me wonder why doesn't he try to blame the phishing on the hotel - someone is accessing their emails and it started from them?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #907 on: April 23, 2023, 10:46:54 PM »
Which makes me wonder why doesn't he try to blame the phishing on the hotel - someone is accessing their emails and it started from them?
Who says it's the hotel's email that got hacked and not HG's email?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 23, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
Although it's not consistent with what he said on Brenner episode 1, ever since then he's said that it came from a different domain, thus implicating a third party and asserting that they are impersonating the hotel.
And taking the hotels money.
And that the hotel said "goodbye Heshy, we don't care that we're being impersonated and that our finds are being diverted."

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 23, 2023, 10:56:23 PM »
IDK. I think people should give him a break. If he did business wrongdoings there is a way to deal with it. But bash him publicly and call him names isn't fair IMO. I just heard he is in his third marriage!! He obviously is messed up. No need to force him into lie detector test when the results won't help anyone.

Agreed - no need to call him names and no need to bash him.

However there is very much need to warn people about him. If left unchecked, he will certainly try this again.

If he did business wrongdoings there is a way to deal with it

No, there really isn't. Beis Din can't enforce payment. Civil court can only enforce if there are assets in his name, which there aren't. There is little or no recourse for the people that got scammed other than to try to force a settlement out of him in criminal court.

It's time to start having Rachmanus on the victims rather than on the perpetrator.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 23, 2023, 10:58:02 PM »
Pure conjecture, but...

-His MO is to push off bills to the last minute, this led to the hotel claiming a breach in contract as far back as January.
-He fell way behind in paying the hotel.
-There was a sophisticated phishing attempt that involved gaining access to one party's emails OR he manufactured a phishing attempt as a cover up. Either way, no money was actually sent.
-The hotel cancelled the program when payments were far short of the requirements.
-Rather than admit that, he blamed the cancellation on the phishing attempt.
I have heard first hand from a big vendor that they told HG they will not process the order this year unless he sent a cashiers check upfront - he never replied to the vendor again.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 23, 2023, 11:02:16 PM »
Does anyone have his past bankruptcy filings?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 23, 2023, 11:16:36 PM »
So who are Simon Youngwirth totallybookedusa@gmail.com and Joel contactsmemo@gmail.com and what's their connection to the program?

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #913 on: April 23, 2023, 11:19:12 PM »
Hence my question, is there toeles that justifies it?

A. To avoid going to his future programs. Turns out that he advertised in 2020 and stiffed us despite repeated attempts to collect. We caught that in 2021 and turned him down. But he changed the program name and email, so we didn't catch that this time.

B. To be aware of how sophisticated a phishing attack can be.

C. For people to have an avenue to get their money back, initially by trying via beis din or by getting a heter arkaos. After all, some may have signed up via his DD ad and I do feel awful about that, though he advertised pretty much everywhere this year.

A post can be made accomplishing your goals without getting into details, which at this point is pretty much all conjecture and/or circumstantial evidence.

A: say every year there are issues which come up with programs, for example, this particular program this year. Give a PSA to look into the details of the program including the organizers, and give some tips on what to look for (issues with past programs, etc.).

B: get into phishing attacks, with some tips on wire fraud from @yelped or other experts. Things to look for, how to avoid them, etc.

C: tips on recourse if readers were victims of shady programs.

IMO, anything more than that dips into territory DD has usually stayed away from, and the toeles can be accomplished without crossing those lines.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline torashaman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 23, 2023, 11:22:13 PM »
So who are Simon Youngwirth totallybookedusa@gmail.com and what's their connection to the program?
https://www.alignable.com/borough-park-ny/totally-booked-usa/bookkeeping
his bookkeeper/accountant

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 23, 2023, 11:28:52 PM »

No major investigation necessary. All they have to do is make sure there was no unauthorized access to any of their email accounts on the chain. Once they do that, they know that it was some other party on the chain and nothing to do with them. In a normal vendor/client relationship they work together to track down the perpetrator and money. In this case, the hotel had no reason to talk to him as it's a total waste of their time as he owed them thousands and had no intention of paying.

IMO, anything more than that dips into territory DD has usually stayed away from, and the toeles can be accomplished without crossing those lines.
Sun games was a notable exception, but that was more of an active, insidious scam that was being perpuated.

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 23, 2023, 11:32:04 PM »
No major investigation necessary. All they have to do is make sure there was no unauthorized access to any of their email accounts on the chain. Once they do that, they know that it was some other party on the chain and nothing to do with them. In a normal vendor/client relationship they work together to track down the perpetrator and money. In this case, the hotel had no reason to talk to him as it's a total waste of their time as he owed them thousands and had no intention of paying.
The relationship between them and the party that brings this to their attention is irrelevant. That party is merely a messenger.

If HG confronted the hotel with evidence that the hotel was being impersonated, *to their clients*, and that their funds are being diverted, the hotel would not blow him off as he claims they did. They would sparehead the subsequent investigation.

This is self evident, and respectfully I'm taken aback at the attempts to pigeonhole a justification for the hotel's alleged lack of interest. It's absurd.

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 23, 2023, 11:34:17 PM »
A post can be made accomplishing your goals without getting into details, which at this point is pretty much all conjecture and/or circumstantial evidence.

A: say every year there are issues which come up with programs, for example, this particular program this year. Give a PSA to look into the details of the program including the organizers, and give some tips on what to look for (issues with past programs, etc.).

B: get into phishing attacks, with some tips on wire fraud from @yelped or other experts. Things to look for, how to avoid them, etc.

C: tips on recourse if readers were victims of shady programs.

D: a warning about כשרות at some programs.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 23, 2023, 11:36:17 PM »
The relationship between them and the party that brings this to their attention is irrelevant. That party is merely a messenger.

If HG confronted the hotel with evidence that the hotel was being impersonated, *to their clients*, and that their funds are being diverted, the hotel would not blow him off as he claims they did. They would sparehead the subsequent investigation.

This is self evident, and respectfully I'm taken aback at the attempts to pigeonhole a justification for the hotel's alleged lack of interest. It's absurd.
♻️

Offline amaaretz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 23, 2023, 11:37:01 PM »

Recycled in its original form - unaddressed.