Author Topic: Marry Young / Shidduch Crisis  (Read 70626 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Marry Young / Shidduch Crisis
« Reply #520 on: March 20, 2024, 09:28:15 AM »
I have mentioned that the first girl I went out with was a year older than me and from divorced parents. Didn't work out.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2024, 09:43:18 AM »
I remember seeing something about gravity in an argument for G-d's existence. I don't remember it exactly, but the gist was that if there was 1% more or 1% less gravity on Earth, the world would cease to exist. The point was that a creation made so precise could not possibly be random. To reduce shidduchim to percentage points and studies as if something so important to G-d can be manipulated by man by moving some numbers around on a chart is... I don't even have the words.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the numbers and has everything to do with values. What standards are we setting for our kids in shidduchim? What values are we teaching them to look for in a partner? If a person starts being more open to "out there" shidduchim as they get older and they "settle" for someone who they wouldn't have looked at 5-10 years earlier, and ultimately they have a very happy and successful marriage, maybe those standards should have been applied earlier?

Let's say it could be shown that there is something we are doing that is creating a crisis, should just leave it?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #522 on: March 20, 2024, 09:48:19 AM »
Let's say it could be shown that there is something we are doing that is creating a crisis, should just leave it?
Where did he say that? He said the values we're imparting need to be reexamined.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 20, 2024, 09:49:32 AM »

How did you get that question from what I posted? I literally said there are things we should change. I just don't believe studies with statistics showing if there are more boys or girls being born is helpful, nor data on the rising age gaps, nor anything to do with numbers. This isn't a numbers game. G-d created enough people to go around. That we aren't finding the right matches says more about our methodology in matching people than it does about anything else.
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Online jye

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 20, 2024, 10:39:12 AM »
G-d created enough people to go around.
Too bad the Baalei Hatosfos weren’t on your level of Bitachon.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 20, 2024, 10:53:03 AM »
Where do you see anything to do with what he said?

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 20, 2024, 10:55:30 AM »

I'm no lamdan, so I may be reading this wrong, but this seems to back up what I'm saying. The concern wasn't about the ratios of boys to girls or the age gaps. It was about the standards of the time (dowry).
- Gallagher

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 20, 2024, 10:58:15 AM »
I'm no lamdan, so I may be reading this wrong, but this seems to back up what I'm saying. The concern wasn't about the ratios of boys to girls or the age gaps. It was about the standards of the time (dowry).
The boys were clearly much older...but it's silly to compare to 800 years ago

Online jye

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2024, 10:59:57 AM »
Where do you see anything to do with what he said?
Why not trust that the Ribbono shel olam created a zivug for every girl instead of being over on an issur dirabanan out of desperation?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2024, 11:11:02 AM »
Question:

How did you get that question from what I posted?

Answer:

I just don't believe studies with statistics showing if there are more boys or girls being born is helpful, nor data on the rising age gaps, nor anything to do with numbers. This isn't a numbers game. G-d created enough people to go around. That we aren't finding the right matches says more about our methodology in matching people than it does about anything else.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2024, 11:15:38 AM »
Why not trust that the Ribbono shel olam created a zivug for every girl instead of being over on an issur dirabanan out of desperation?

Why is that a contradiction? There is no concern that there is no zivug. There is a concern that people set standards which will result in unmarried girls. I take 2 things from the Tosafos. 1) Shidduchim is so important, that we risk being oiver an issue d'rabanan to make sure girls are married. 2) Societal standards are so important that they can change the course of accepted norms regarding halacha. This speaks the importance of setting and regulating communal standards and combating any craziness which may set in.

(Tosafos is also not a history book. While they may note the custom to ignore the issur as a result of the prevailing standards at the time, they don't document what steps were taken on a societal level to set reasonable standards or to change them over time. I don't know enough about the era to comment on whether the standards were reasonable or what debates or opinions were posed by leaders at the time for or against the status quo.)
- Gallagher

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2024, 11:23:16 AM »
Question:

Answer:

Sorry, I'm still not understanding your posts. You're asking what if there is data in the studies which will show us that we're doing something wrong. What can we change? Genetically engineer our women to have specific gender children to keep the ratios equal? Force people into bad marriages just to keep our prefered age gaps intact? Again, I don't believe this is an issue which statistics will solve.
- Gallagher

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2024, 11:28:58 AM »
I remember seeing something about gravity in an argument for G-d's existence. I don't remember it exactly, but the gist was that if there was 1% more or 1% less gravity on Earth, the world would cease to exist. The point was that a creation made so precise could not possibly be random. To reduce shidduchim to percentage points and studies as if something so important to G-d can be manipulated by man by moving some numbers around on a chart is... I don't even have the words.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the numbers and has everything to do with values. What standards are we setting for our kids in shidduchim? What values are we teaching them to look for in a partner? If a person starts being more open to "out there" shidduchim as they get older and they "settle" for someone who they wouldn't have looked at 5-10 years earlier, and ultimately they have a very happy and successful marriage, maybe those standards should have been applied earlier?
My post wasn't clear, I agree with you. I'm not C"V questioning God on why he didn't tweak it. I'm saying our calculations only need to be tweaked a little bit for "all the numbers to work". Therefore, my presumption is God has it all figured out, and he tweaked everything as needed to make the numbers work.

If we decide to start adjusting it ourselves, we run the risk of unintended consequences.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 20, 2024, 11:32:58 AM »
My post wasn't clear, I agree with you. I'm not C"V questioning God on why he didn't tweak it. I'm saying our calculations only need to be tweaked a little bit for "all the numbers to work". Therefore, my presumption is God has it all figured out, and he tweaked everything as needed to make the numbers work.

If we decide to start adjusting it ourselves, we run the risk of unintended consequences.

My post quoted you, but it was really a comment on the entire discussion of ratios and statistics. I think it's irrelevant.
- Gallagher

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2024, 11:33:33 AM »
They were talking about a specific action a father should take for his daughter. Here we are talking about re-engineering God's world.

Everyone can do everything suggested to "solve the shidduch crisis" and you won't be able to point to a single person and say they got married because "we solved the crisis".

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2024, 11:34:29 AM »

Except that what actually happens is that many girls settle instead for someone with middos issues/ personality disorders/ no chemistry and have unhappy (or worse) marriages because they want children.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2024, 11:38:55 AM »
Except that what actually happens is that many girls settle instead for someone with middos issues/ personality disorders/ no chemistry and have unhappy (or worse) marriages because they want children.

And how many shidduchim did they turn down which could have avoided these issues because of other, less important standards that were set earlier in the process?
- Gallagher

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2024, 11:45:56 AM »
And how many shidduchim did they turn down which could have avoided these issues because of other, less important standards that were set earlier in the process?
My cousin just got married at 23 to the first boy who ever gave her a yes. Hard to say no when you're not getting yeses from boys.

Is 23 a tragedy? No. But it's a challenge that is perpetuated by the current system and, empirically, seems to be worsening.

My aunt who is a professional shadchan says she has 30 girls' resumes for each boy. Take that as you will.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2024, 11:46:40 AM »
This would indicate that there isn't a shortage of boys.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2024, 11:49:00 AM »
This would indicate that there isn't a shortage of boys.
It would indicate that there aren't enough stable, healthy boys.

It's hard to shake the feeling that if the situation was reversed, our society would have moved much more quickly to take action and attempt to address the issue.