Topic Wiki

When signing up for auto insurance, make sure you know what coverage you're getting, and what your deductibles are.

Which Insurance Broker would you recommend:

5MinuteInsure.com
Moshe Fishman
Online Comparison and Purchasing Platform for Auto, Home or Bundle Insurance
Recommended by - Reb Moshe

Nationwide- Yehuda Spero
443-845-9552
speroy@nationwide.com

Insurance Depot
718-921-2300
Info@insdepot.com
Recommend by -Z56

Trumper Insurance
845-356-1899

Recommend by -Yammer

Worldwide Rental Car insurance ask Superflyer

Poll

How much liability insurance do you think is prudent?

Statutory minimum
41 (16%)
61 (23.7%)
18 (7%)
72 (28%)
37 (14.4%)
2 (0.8%)
1m
16 (6.2%)
more than 1m
10 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Car Insurance Master Thread  (Read 328440 times)

Offline Yma

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Car Insurance Master Thread
« Reply #1500 on: October 11, 2023, 01:37:14 PM »
Looking for a NY broker who can insure a Kia. Seems like many companies do not.

Offline Yma

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 11, 2023, 01:56:55 PM »
Also I have a car that is currently being financed by my parents and the title is in my mother's name who is located out of state. I cannot change the name on the title since I would have to redo the loan. Is there anyway I can register in New York? Thanks.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 11, 2023, 02:03:27 PM »
Also I have a car that is currently being financed by my parents and the title is in my mother's name who is located out of state. I cannot change the name on the title since I would have to redo the loan. Is there anyway I can register in New York? Thanks.
afaik you can keep it registered in the other state and tell insurance you have a garage in my. Ask a broker if/how it works.

Offline Realshlomo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 02, 2024, 09:20:53 PM »
If everyone in my household is covered by private health insurance should I be paying for full PIP coverage 250k/250?

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 02, 2024, 09:29:25 PM »
If everyone in my household is covered by private health insurance should I be paying for full PIP coverage 250k/250?
If your private health insurance covers car accidents, you shouldn't pay for PIP primary.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 02, 2024, 09:30:50 PM »
Looking for a NY broker who can insure a Kia. Seems like many companies do not.
I have a Kia in NJ and never ran into an insurance carrier that wouldn't offer insurance for it. Perhaps NY is different.

Offline Realshlomo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 02, 2024, 09:31:55 PM »
If your private health insurance covers car accidents, you shouldn't pay for PIP primary.
Thanks so not PIP primary.

I have 3 other options with Geico which I can pick to use other than primary. Should I be looking at having it as secondary? It claims it covers more than just medical...loss of work, some services etc. Not too familiar.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 02, 2024, 09:36:43 PM »
Thanks so not PIP primary.

I have 3 other options with Geico which I can pick to use other than primary. Should I be looking at having it as secondary? It claims it covers more than just medical...loss of work, some services etc. Not too familiar.
Secondary most likely doesn't add too much to the premium so if it covers some extras then why not add it for a few dollars IMO.

Offline denkar31

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: January 04, 2024, 09:46:56 AM »
Does anyone have experience with Erie home and auto insurances? Looking to make a change but don't have prior experience. I didn't have good experience with Travelers but did have good experience with Progressive and Geico for the claims (ex. uninsured motorist claims, etc.). Mainly looking for some data points on their customer service. Thanks.

Offline neveryou

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 04, 2024, 10:56:23 AM »
some states like NY its mandatory coverage and its a no fault coverage, so you are already paying for it in the premium
for an extra few dollars a policy you can get full coverage.

Offline neveryou

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 04, 2024, 11:02:43 AM »
I have a Kia in NJ and never ran into an insurance carrier that wouldn't offer insurance for it. Perhaps NY is different.
look up how many kia's were stolen, its verry easy to steal, so in certain places the insurance carriers wont insure it.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 04, 2024, 04:20:10 PM »
Helping a friend in New Jersey who has very high premiums (over 5k a year for two cars with two drivers). He recently opened his car door and another driver hit the open door soon thereafter. The door needs to be replaced. If a claim is filed, is there a default rule who is considered to be at fault? Will it effect his insurance premiums? He has two violations coming off his record soon and is concerned about losing the ability to lower his premium.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: January 04, 2024, 05:24:51 PM »
Helping a friend in New Jersey who has very high premiums (over 5k a year for two cars with two drivers). He recently opened his car door and another driver hit the open door soon thereafter. The door needs to be replaced. If a claim is filed, is there a default rule who is considered to be at fault? Will it effect his insurance premiums? He has two violations coming off his record soon and is concerned about losing the ability to lower his premium.
How soon after? Does he have video of the accident? I think the presumption is the door was opened carelessly into traffic, but I'm not sure.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 09, 2024, 02:20:30 PM »
Anyone know about Curt Auto Insurance in NJ? Any recommendation for how to find out about reliability? Is there some national or regional database that keeps track of complaints?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 13, 2024, 08:59:54 PM »
ok im sorry for venting here but i need some consolation here:
i bought a 2013 hyundai elantra in 2019, had around 60k miles. paid 7200$ for it, if i recall correctly.

fast forward to this year, past 2 minor fender benders and subsequent fix ups, some scratches, and 30k miles, i sold it to a friend of mine for 5400$. to be honest i was asking for 6k and we ended up w 5400, only bc i didnt have so much confidence that i cud get higher- the driver side door was replaced and it didnt fully fully seal out the noise on the new door, you hear a whistling sound from the wind, wtvr. i was sort of happy to get rid of it and move on.

my friend who bought it told me a couple weeks ago that the car got stolen.

they found it, all banged up. security cameras shows a juvenile had stolen it so wont be held responsible.

and guess what. his insurance considered the car totalled, and paid out... 7800$ for the car  >:( >:(

now a little bit im not so annoyed bc i myself paid 7200$, but that was 4 yrs ago and in much better condition.

yes i did do some evaluations on KBB and etc. and it varied but according to actual condition of the car it couldnt come close to 7800.

Hashem runs the world, its just frustrating to hear this a little bit... :-[
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: February 13, 2024, 10:33:32 PM »
i bought a 2013 hyundai elantra in 2019, had around 60k miles. paid 7200$ for it, if i recall correctly.

fast forward to this year, past 2 minor fender benders and subsequent fix ups, some scratches, and 30k miles, i sold it to a friend of mine for 5400$. to be honest i was asking for 6k and we ended up w 5400, only bc i didnt have so much confidence that i cud get higher- the driver side door was replaced and it didnt fully fully seal out the noise on the new door, you hear a whistling sound from the wind, wtvr. i was sort of happy to get rid of it and move on.

they found it, all banged up. security cameras shows a juvenile had stolen it so wont be held responsible.

and guess what. his insurance considered the car totalled, and paid out... 7800$ for the car  >:( >:(

now a little bit im not so annoyed bc i myself paid 7200$, but that was 4 yrs ago and in much better condition.

yes i did do some evaluations on KBB and etc. and it varied but according to actual condition of the car it couldnt come close to 7800.

I get the feeling...but would you be happier if he only got $5400 from insurance?

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 14, 2024, 04:53:19 AM »

I had multiple cars totaled over the years and insurance always paid out far more than I would be able to get from a private party buyer.

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 15, 2024, 01:25:08 AM »
I get the feeling...but would you be happier if he only got $5400 from insurance?
I guess I’d feel better if my sale price was close to what insurance valued the car, that would be validating.
I realized my friend is actually a member here ;D if you ever read this, I love you, I have no taynos against you I’m human so it’s a little annoying for me to handle
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 13, 2024, 03:35:04 PM »
Hope someone can help here!

Had insurance with AAA and moved to NY. I had to switch the policy to the Northeast form as the policy was written in another region but wasn't getting to it. Meanwhile it was on autopay on a CC and a payment returned. I did not realize and never updated the CC info. Looking back, it seems like something may have come in the mail and was mistakenly overlooked. I just noticed a few days ago that they cancelled the policy retroactive to Feb 9th. Should I call AAA and explain that I moved, wasn't getting my mail on time.....and hopefully they'll reinstate the original policy whereby I will then have them rewrite the policy for NY coverage? I am concerned that there should not be a lapse. Afaik I never had a lapse in 20-25 driving history years. How common is it for them to reinstate a policy, and does it make a difference if I will be continuing to insure with them (I think AAA is the same company across the country)? TIA!

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1519 on: March 14, 2024, 03:06:04 AM »
I guess I’d feel better if my sale price was close to what insurance valued the car, that would be validating.
I realized my friend is actually a member here ;D if you ever read this, I love you, I have no taynos against you I’m human so it’s a little annoying for me to handle
At least let him give you the $600.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501