Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1259134 times)

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4340 on: December 06, 2023, 12:04:44 AM »
I know this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer in this thread.

Can I still file a claim after a card has been closed? (date of attempted return is also after card was closed)

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 66
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: December 06, 2023, 09:10:45 AM »
I know this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer in this thread.

Can I still file a claim after a card has been closed? (date of attempted return is also after card was closed)
Yes you can file if you have another amex open.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: December 06, 2023, 06:20:49 PM »
I was just asked to provide a photo for each of my last four return requests. One asked to include as well a photo of the serial number.
No problem, I can provide these.

Very strange, have never been asked for this before.

Anyone else ever been asked for this?

Looks like they are getting a lot more stringent with me.

To follow up on this. Today I received a call from Amex Assurance. They wanted to make sure the items were not already returned. He said Amazon requires I be on the phone to check. They had me do a 3 way call with Amazon, where the rep needed to look up each order # and confirm that a return was not requested or in place.

Supposedly now the guy said the returns would all be processed. The guy also confirmed there with the Amazon rep that there was a 30 day return on these, which Amazon confirmed (they were bought before the extended return period).

I said to the guy it is strange that they would need to confirm a return, since they could see if there was a credit on my account or not for the return.
He did not respond. I suppose with Amazon someone could choose to have the credit put into a gift card instead of a credit. So they needed to validate the items were not returned.
The guy seemed pleasant enough. He sounded American, not from an off shore call center. He apologized for the inconvenience.

Anyway, they might just be doing a lot more scrutiny on me.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 66
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: December 06, 2023, 08:25:49 PM »
Thank you. I did that too.

Did you review the results before posting? None of those posts pertain to my question except for one from 2017  :-\
2nd and 3rd result for me
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: December 07, 2023, 02:37:56 AM »
To follow up on this. Today I received a call from Amex Assurance. They wanted to make sure the items were not already returned. He said Amazon requires I be on the phone to check. They had me do a 3 way call with Amazon, where the rep needed to look up each order # and confirm that a return was not requested or in place.

Supposedly now the guy said the returns would all be processed. The guy also confirmed there with the Amazon rep that there was a 30 day return on these, which Amazon confirmed (they were bought before the extended return period).

I said to the guy it is strange that they would need to confirm a return, since they could see if there was a credit on my account or not for the return.
He did not respond. I suppose with Amazon someone could choose to have the credit put into a gift card instead of a credit. So they needed to validate the items were not returned.
The guy seemed pleasant enough. He sounded American, not from an off shore call center. He apologized for the inconvenience.

Thanks for updating us on this. It's help a lot in case any of the rest of us have to go through anything similar in the future!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: December 07, 2023, 12:10:33 PM »
I was just asked to provide a photo for each of my last four return requests. One asked to include as well a photo of the serial number.
No problem, I can provide these.

Very strange, have never been asked for this before.

Anyone else ever been asked for this?

Looks like they are getting a lot more stringent with me.

Looks like it's not just you, although I wasn't asked for photos (yet). I submitted the claims documents a few days ago, and today, I got another e-mail from them asking for the following two things:

"Please provide documentation showing the item has not been returned, refunded or
exchanged. Please provide documentation showing the return window of the item."

The second (regarding the return window) should be easy enough, but does anyone have any idea how I can get documentation from ebay.com that I haven't returned, refunded, or exchanged the item?  I at first thought that I had purchased this via Amazon.com, but now that I realize that it was from eBay and eBay doesn't even have an extended holiday returns policy, I can't figure out what their rationale is.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 12:14:24 PM by jl75 »

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: December 08, 2023, 05:59:23 AM »

Did you submit all 4 return requests at once?

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: December 08, 2023, 01:54:16 PM »
Looks like it's not just you, although I wasn't asked for photos (yet). I submitted the claims documents a few days ago, and today, I got another e-mail from them asking for the following two things:

"Please provide documentation showing the item has not been returned, refunded or
exchanged. Please provide documentation showing the return window of the item."

The second (regarding the return window) should be easy enough, but does anyone have any idea how I can get documentation from ebay.com that I haven't returned, refunded, or exchanged the item?  I at first thought that I had purchased this via Amazon.com, but now that I realize that it was from eBay and eBay doesn't even have an extended holiday returns policy, I can't figure out what their rationale is.
Send them a screenshot from your eBay order status, showing delivered etc and not returned.
Should work.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4350 on: December 11, 2023, 03:34:13 AM »
Send them a screenshot from your eBay order status, showing delivered etc and not returned.
Should work.

Okay, thanks. I always send a PDF printout of the "order details" and "invoice" pages for items that I've ordered from eBay or Amazon, so they already have that, although none of those specifically state that the item hasn't been returned (however, if they know what to look for, if you've actually returned an item, the order amount will be changed to zero and I think it'll list the amount of the refund...but they probably don't realize that the absence of that means that the item hasn't been returned). Anyhow, in this particular case, I was able to get the merchant to send me a statement saying that I didn't return/exchange/refund the item and that the 30-day return window closed on whatever date it was, so hopefully they'll accept that with no further issue. I'll post an update when I hear more about this claim.

Offline bmw

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: December 20, 2023, 03:58:47 PM »
probably been asked before.

return protection is based on calendar year ?  that refers to purchse date of item [for example claiming in jan feb 24 for items purchased in 23 all count towards 23 ? ] or goes by claim / reimbusement date ?

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: December 20, 2023, 04:01:07 PM »
probably been asked before.

return protection is based on calendar year ?  that refers to purchse date of item [for example claiming in jan feb 24 for items purchased in 23 all count towards 23 ? ] or goes by claim / reimbusement date ?

purchase date of the item

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: December 20, 2023, 04:01:54 PM »

Interesting. I've done multiple Amazon claims in the past and never had to go through this process.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: December 20, 2023, 06:28:56 PM »
I recall there being some discussion on this thread (in the past ~12 months) regarding authorized user's receiving their own $1000 annual RP bucket. For the AmEx Platinum Card there are two types of authorized users: the first type is a “true” Platinum AU that comes with an annual fee of $195. the second type is the “companion Platinum” card that has zero AF. Does anyone know if the zero-AF companion Platinum cards receive return protection benefits?

Offline ushkly5

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: December 20, 2023, 09:18:00 PM »
I recall there being some discussion on this thread (in the past ~12 months) regarding authorized user's receiving their own $1000 annual RP bucket. For the AmEx Platinum Card there are two types of authorized users: the first type is a “true” Platinum AU that comes with an annual fee of $195. the second type is the “companion Platinum” card that has zero AF. Does anyone know if the zero-AF companion Platinum cards receive return protection benefits?
Yes. they do have RP.

Offline Mark Twain

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: December 21, 2023, 09:57:13 PM »
does an additional user on blue cash preferred also get $1000 rp?

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: December 22, 2023, 01:14:49 AM »
Yes. they do have RP.
Are you sure about this?
I remember otherwise. That only the paid au gets a $1000 rp, but the free au is not really a platinum card so it wouldn't have their own.

Can you pls confirm if I'm wrong?

Offline llamagatekeeper

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: December 22, 2023, 01:19:50 AM »
I believe it. The other no-fee AUs from other cards get it, so wouldn't surprise me.

Offline ushkly5

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: December 24, 2023, 02:11:50 PM »
Are you sure about this?
I remember otherwise. That only the paid au gets a $1000 rp, but the free au is not really a platinum card so it wouldn't have their own.

Can you pls confirm if I'm wrong?
Yes, I can confirm that you're wrong...