Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1201576 times)

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #5180 on: May 10, 2023, 01:22:24 AM »
Flew with 3 suitcases, received 1 piece 5 days late and 2 may be lost forever :(
What are the claim rules - is it a separate claim with airlines ?
Or is it one hard limit whether it’s delayed or lost ? Which means I wouldn’t ever get compensated for essentials I bought during delay since the property in the lost ones hit the limit of comp under Montreal convention.

How about with Visa ?

Anyone know ?

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: May 10, 2023, 01:26:25 AM »
Flew with 3 suitcases, received 1 piece 5 days late and 2 may be lost forever :(
What are the claim rules - is it a separate claim with airlines ?
Or is it one hard limit whether it’s delayed or lost ? Which means I wouldn’t ever get compensated for essentials I bought during delay since the property in the lost ones hit the limit of comp under Montreal convention.

How about with Visa ?

Anyone know ?
From where to where?

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: May 10, 2023, 01:36:58 AM »
From where to where?
Was jfk to TLV , stopped over and switched airlines in MAD

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: May 10, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »
Was jfk to TLV , stopped over and switched airlines in MAD
I would think you file 2 claims.

Offline Shmuff23

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: May 10, 2023, 10:25:23 AM »
I had a Motzai Shabbos flight scheduled perfectly, but Delta just changed the timing by ten minutes, which makes it too tight for me. Delta is saying that if I want to reschedule, I need to pay any fare difference. Is this correct? What other choices do I have?

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: May 10, 2023, 10:29:47 AM »
I had a Motzai Shabbos flight scheduled perfectly, but Delta just changed the timing by ten minutes, which makes it too tight for me. Delta is saying that if I want to reschedule, I need to pay any fare difference. Is this correct? What other choices do I have?
If you're gonna try and explain Motzei Shabbos and how the 10 minutes affects you, good luck. They'll laugh. Its not a big enough schedule change to warrant cancellation or change without fee.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: May 10, 2023, 01:31:11 PM »
I would think you file 2 claims.
Shoots- or not shoots
After notifying the airline of my intentions they "found " my luggage BH
Ill believe it when they arrive since its been almost 3 weeks

Offline Shmuff23

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: May 10, 2023, 03:26:17 PM »
If you're gonna try and explain Motzei Shabbos and how the 10 minutes affects you, good luck. They'll laugh. Its not a big enough schedule change to warrant cancellation or change without fee.

Yes they were no help. Agent says Delta reserves the right to change flights at any time, but she could not provide me with the words of the contract of carriage that states this. She ultimately gave up and proclaimed, we reserve the right.

Complete garbage. Does not say this anywhere in the terms of booking.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: May 10, 2023, 05:41:57 PM »
Shoots- or not shoots
After notifying the airline of my intentions they "found " my luggage BH
Ill believe it when they arrive since its been almost 3 weeks
Is there compensation for luggage this late?  Separate from the incidental reimbursement?
The cc baggage insurance - do they give compensation if it's lost longer than X amount of days?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: May 10, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »
Yes they were no help. Agent says Delta reserves the right to change flights at any time, but she could not provide me with the words of the contract of carriage that states this. She ultimately gave up and proclaimed, we reserve the right.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/contract-of-carriage-dgr#2sc
RULE 2: SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS

Delta will exercise reasonable efforts to transport you and your baggage from your origin to your destination with reasonable dispatch, but published schedules, flight times, aircraft types, seat assignments, and similar details reflected in the ticket or Delta’s published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Delta may substitute alternate Carriers or aircraft, change its schedules, delay or cancel flights, change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket as required by its operations in Delta’s sole discretion. Delta’s sole liability in the event of such changes is set forth in Rule 22, Go to footer note. Delta is not responsible or liable for making connections, failing to operate any flight according to schedule, changing the schedule or any flight, changing seat assignments or aircraft types, or revising the routings by which Delta carries the passenger from the ticketed origin to destination.

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: May 10, 2023, 06:55:56 PM »

I would try a different approach, instead of the quoting them with the rules, tweet and ask for a customer goodwill accomodation to refund the flight due to your religious issue. Nothing to lose.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5191 on: May 10, 2023, 07:46:00 PM »
Is there compensation for luggage this late?  Separate from the incidental reimbursement?
The cc baggage insurance - do they give compensation if it's lost longer than X amount of days?
If its over 21 days under the Montreal Convention they would have to pay since it is deemed as lost.
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5192 on: May 10, 2023, 07:46:37 PM »
I would try a different approach, instead of the quoting them with the rules, tweet and ask for a customer goodwill accomodation to refund the flight due to your religious issue. Nothing to lose.
No chance... a 10 minute change is a everyday thing.
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline yaelb

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: May 11, 2023, 10:11:38 AM »
TLV to JFK AA FLT # 145
There are on words to describe the disaster of FLT 145 TUes morning. It began when the flight was moved up from 12:50 to 12:20 w/o notification. No email.  Rushed to get there ½ hr earlier, only to have the flight delayed to 1:20 again w/o announcement at the gate, just happen to notice on the screen. Finally board and 1/2 hr later a flight attendant makes an odd announcement. "Some of you have gotten a notification that we are diverting. If you want to get off, you can". Diverting? To where? WHy? for HOw long? no further infor. When asked, the attendant actually took a pic of my screen b/c he said we were getting info on our app b4 they were.  A little while later they say that the plane that is supposed to fly direct does not have enough fuel so diverting to BGR. Huh? & bec they hv a new destination they need to fill out new paperwork but TLV has a curfew and the extra delay in paperwork caused them to miss the curfew and the flt was canceled at 2am. How insane. So they tell us we are canceled, go get our bags and MAYBE there will be someone there to help. A joke. The agents there did nothing other than hand us a piece of paper with a phone # to call to see how to rebook. Since e/o was calling at the same time, very few ppl got thru. & it took 2 hrs for the bags to come out. I called & system hung up multiple times. My husband had to call from USA to get an agent & best she could do was a layover thru LHR. I paid for a direct overnite FLT. Ended up spending entire night in airport, losing night sleep and a full day of work. And a 3 hr layover in LHR. But even worse, they were sending everyone to BA so they could not even check us in because the flt was oversold so we had to wait til e/o was checked in to see if there would be space on the flt for us so hanging around at check in with bags for 2 hrs at 5am. I paid for premium seat and did not get that on the first leg. I paid for a direct flt and did not get that. I requested kosher food but could not get on BA cuz too short notice so did not have anything to eat for the entire length of the trip except for the peanuts I had with me. No sleep, no food.  I lost a day’s work of 9 appointment totaling more than  that cannot be retrieved. AA, you need to make this right.

This is letter I typed but they only allow 1500 characters in the customer relations box. How can I communicate with an actual individual and get maximum compensation for the disaster that was?

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: May 11, 2023, 05:20:18 PM »
Unfortunately not since it was “only” 15 days :(
So nothing extra from either the airlines nor from my cc (visa ).
The maximum comp either way set by the Montreal convention is the same for lost or delayed - difference is lost the comp is for the items in luggage and delayed the comp is for expenses incurred during delay.

In Israel I saw online someone who sued and won for “additional damages “ which included the emotional stress they went through but I doubt it’s worth my while to try for that. Will post the link later

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: May 11, 2023, 05:22:59 PM »
TLV to JFK AA FLT # 145
There are on words to describe the disaster of FLT 145 TUes morning. It began when the flight was moved up from 12:50 to 12:20 w/o notification. No email.  Rushed to get there ½ hr earlier, only to have the flight delayed to 1:20 again w/o announcement at the gate, just happen to notice on the screen. Finally board and 1/2 hr later a flight attendant makes an odd announcement. "Some of you have gotten a notification that we are diverting. If you want to get off, you can". Diverting? To where? WHy? for HOw long? no further infor. When asked, the attendant actually took a pic of my screen b/c he said we were getting info on our app b4 they were.  A little while later they say that the plane that is supposed to fly direct does not have enough fuel so diverting to BGR. Huh? & bec they hv a new destination they need to fill out new paperwork but TLV has a curfew and the extra delay in paperwork caused them to miss the curfew and the flt was canceled at 2am. How insane. So they tell us we are canceled, go get our bags and MAYBE there will be someone there to help. A joke. The agents there did nothing other than hand us a piece of paper with a phone # to call to see how to rebook. Since e/o was calling at the same time, very few ppl got thru. & it took 2 hrs for the bags to come out. I called & system hung up multiple times. My husband had to call from USA to get an agent & best she could do was a layover thru LHR. I paid for a direct overnite FLT. Ended up spending entire night in airport, losing night sleep and a full day of work. And a 3 hr layover in LHR. But even worse, they were sending everyone to BA so they could not even check us in because the flt was oversold so we had to wait til e/o was checked in to see if there would be space on the flt for us so hanging around at check in with bags for 2 hrs at 5am. I paid for premium seat and did not get that on the first leg. I paid for a direct flt and did not get that. I requested kosher food but could not get on BA cuz too short notice so did not have anything to eat for the entire length of the trip except for the peanuts I had with me. No sleep, no food.  I lost a day’s work of 9 appointment totaling more than  that cannot be retrieved. AA, you need to make this right.

This is letter I typed but they only allow 1500 characters in the customer relations box. How can I communicate with an actual individual and get maximum compensation for the disaster that was?

Do they allow attachments ?
With Iberia I hit character limit as well but attached a word doc with my full letter to bypass

Sorry you went through all this

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: May 12, 2023, 11:39:41 AM »
TLV to JFK AA FLT # 145

You should be eligible for compensation of 3100 ILS under the Israeli aviation law. No need to give them the whole story. Just ask very shortly but firmly for compensation:
1. For the flight cancellation under the Israeli aviation law.
2. For the cabin downgrade.
3. For the lack of Kosher food on the new flight.
If they didn’t offer you food vouchers and overnight accommodations at Ben Gurion, you can add that too.

Offline haravjake@gmail.co

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis presidents club AA platinum
« Reply #5197 on: May 14, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »
You should be eligible for compensation of 3100 ILS under the Israeli aviation law. No need to give them the whole story. Just ask very shortly but firmly for compensation:
1. For the flight cancellation under the Israeli aviation law.
2. For the cabin downgrade.
3. For the lack of Kosher food on the new flight.
If they didn’t offer you food vouchers and overnight accommodations at Ben Gurion, you can add that too.
I recently was on a direct UA flight from Newark to Tel Aviv and there was zero kosher food aboard, any chance to receive compensation?

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: May 14, 2023, 02:31:02 PM »
I recently was on a direct UA flight from Newark to Tel Aviv and there was zero kosher food aboard, any chance to receive compensation?

Sure if you ordered, write to them on customer care link. Depending on your status etc you'll get something.

Offline Mailman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: May 18, 2023, 10:16:03 PM »
How long does a delay out of TLV have to be to get compensation?