Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 1026309 times)

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #5720 on: January 30, 2024, 10:13:02 PM »
I dont buy that the kashrus problems of today is worse than the times of chazal. Especially when they were in Eretz yisroel.

Seriously? There was no mass production back then, and no nameless, faceless companies. There were also fewer, if any, artificial products, so generally you knew what each ingredient was. A simple canned drink today has more ingredients you know nothing about than most anything that was being sold back then.
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: January 30, 2024, 10:17:45 PM »
\

H. Just a couple of examples to bring out the difficulty in across the board acceptance of the "its kosher" no matter the cirucumstance
You see a jew of unknown religiosity in EY selling cut fruits and vegis. He says it's kosher. What does this include? That he cut the dvar charif with a kosher knife? that it's not orlah? that it's not takroves ovada zara? that its not asur bec of shmita? that it's been truma an maasered properly? or he said its kosher so i can eat it? what about demai?
Someone gives you a celophane wrapped package of square matzos in your mishloach manos and tells you "its kosher". Can you eat these without taking chalah? what about at layl haseder? or maybe theyre kosher chometz matzos?
Someone gives you a fillet of fish w/o the skin. he says it's kosher. does this mean that it was checked for bugs that theres a machlokes if they;re asur or mutar?

I was referring to exclusively the examples here. (My response edited out the quote, so it wasn't clear). All three of these are chazal situations and I find it hard to believe עד אחד doesn't apply.
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: January 30, 2024, 10:24:59 PM »
I was referring to exclusively the examples here. (My response edited out the quote, so it wasn't clear). All three of these are chazal situations and I find it hard to believe עד אחד doesn't apply.
Agree to the first
ETA not really because if his religious status is unknown and he’s selling it we pasken EA won’t work iirc.

To number 2, you think it can be used on pesach? Also, did he bake the matza? Maybe he is saying it’s kosher because it had a hechsher which you personally don’t trust. If you’re makpid on yoshon there is no need to ask if he meant that too?
To number 3, if it’s a machlokes about tolaim that you’re personally concerned for how do you know he he is aware or concerned for that opinion? Also, did he personally check for scales? Maybe he got it from a hecsher he isn’t makpid on Rav Moshe.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:41:05 PM by imayid2 »

Offline TheAsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: January 30, 2024, 10:45:43 PM »
Agree to the first
ETA not really because if his religious status is unknown and he’s selling it we pasken EA won’t work iirc.

To number 2, you think it can be used on pesach? Also, did he bake the matza? Maybe he is saying it’s kosher because it had a hechsher which you personally don’t trust. If you’re makpid on yoshon there is no need to ask if he meant that too?
To number 3, if it’s a machlokes about tolaim that you’re personally concerned for how do you know he he is aware or concerned for that opinion? Also, did he personally check for scales? Maybe he got it from a hecsher he isn’t makpid on Rav Moshe.

You can eat it without taking challah. He didn't say it's kosher lepesach, so the whole discussion doesn't start and is a strawman.

As to the fish, you can sagely assume it's a kosher fillet. Bugs would be no different then you give me an apple.

If I was at a sueda at a frum yids house, I would eat the food. Same if he gave me meahalach manos. That's the mekor of the severa. I wouldn't apply it to restaurants,  catered meals, or factory products. 

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: January 30, 2024, 10:58:00 PM »
You can eat it without taking challah. He didn't say it's kosher lepesach, so the whole discussion doesn't start and is a strawman.

As to the fish, you can sagely assume it's a kosher fillet. Bugs would be no different then you give me an apple.

If I was at a sueda at a frum yids house, I would eat the food. Same if he gave me meahalach manos. That's the mekor of the severa. I wouldn't apply it to restaurants,  catered meals, or factory products.
You did not answer address my questions.
So you have no reason to think he meant kosher for pesach. What about yoshon or not hechsher x that you don’t use for product y for whatever reason?

Offline TheAsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: January 30, 2024, 11:04:15 PM »
So you have no reason to think he meant kosher for pesach. What about yoshon or not hechsher x that you don’t use for product y for whatever reason?

Again, what did you think chazal meant? You can eat by a friend's house after you grill him for two hours on each ingredient in his cholent?

Offline TheAsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: January 30, 2024, 11:06:16 PM »

I would not be concerned. These are all legitimate halachic opinions which are overridden due to דרכי שלום and what חז"ל held.

Obviously,  if there is a real chashash, this would not apply.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: January 30, 2024, 11:07:12 PM »
I would not be concerned. These are all legitimate halachic opinions which are overridden due to דרכי שלום and what חז"ל held.

Obviously,  if there is a real chashash, this would not apply.
Lol

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: January 30, 2024, 11:07:38 PM »
Again, what did you think chazal meant? You can eat by a friend's house after you grill him for two hours on each ingredient in his cholent?
Seriously? There was no mass production back then, and no nameless, faceless companies. There were also fewer, if any, artificial products, so generally you knew what each ingredient was. A simple canned drink today has more ingredients you know nothing about than most anything that was being sold back then.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5729 on: January 30, 2024, 11:09:30 PM »
I dont buy that the kashrus problems of today is worse than the times of chazal. Especially when they were in Eretz yisroel.

It is definitely much more complex.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: January 30, 2024, 11:12:30 PM »

Can someone makpid on CY eat at a random Modox home who CY may not be on the radar at all? If the person is aware that you are makpid then you can assume that he won't give you something he knows you consider to be assur.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: January 30, 2024, 11:19:06 PM »
At what point of the guy's ignorance and/or lack of religiosity would you agree that it's on you?
Never went to yeshiva? Conservative? Reform? Reconsrtuctionist? Jews for J? Actual Aino Yehudi?
He needs to have a chezkas kashrus.
You're putting way more halchick weight on a idea you heard about in third year bais medrash than it actually has.
EA is EIDUS. No different than other eidus. part of eidus is WHAT are you saying EXACTLY. Not "I saw a new moon" - exact position, when, where... ect...

What would you say if there was a box of cookies on a random street corner in Manhatten with a sign "Free - Kosher". Is that Eidus? Is that on "him" or you?

Just to remind you EA is a KULA! Without it we need two kosher eidim even by isur.

Lets put it a different way - would you trust a random jewish looking person to tell you that the kesem you have a shayla on is fine, no problem. Why not? Eid echad neeman beisurin, and this is isurin, No?

Quite the contrary, this is what I was mekabel from my Rebbi Harav Reuven Feinstein. Lucky for us, he put it in writing for everyone to see.

I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: January 30, 2024, 11:25:57 PM »
Quite the contrary, this is what I was mekabel from my Rebbi Harav Reuven Feinstein. Lucky for us, he put it in writing for everyone to see.
Most of the questions and points raised here apply to what he writes.
אם קבלה נקבל אם לדין יש עליו תשובה

Not saying you shouldn't follow your personal authority, but if you're attempting to argue the point on its merits you havent answered the questions.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: January 30, 2024, 11:29:26 PM »

Let's leave aside for a moment that a lot of this is a דעת יחידאה as we have been through all of that already. He focuses on trust and distrust, not on baselessly assuming one is an expert on matters that requires high expertise or knowing the complexities of something we know that aren't too many who know.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: January 30, 2024, 11:45:41 PM »

As has been discussed many times, this is a "shvere R Reuven" and while you are following your Rebbi, it makes sense for everyone else to follow the many poskim who disagree and go with what seems to be the pashute halacha.

Offline TheAsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: January 31, 2024, 12:52:49 AM »
As has been discussed many times, this is a "shvere R Reuven" and while you are following your Rebbi, it makes sense for everyone else to follow the many poskim who disagree and go with what seems to be the pashute halacha.

I think even Reb Reuven wouldn't eat Cupk or ikc. But there's a huge widespread difference between that and not trusting that matzoh someone gave you is kosher.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #5737 on: January 31, 2024, 05:19:01 AM »
It sounds like you have more respect for a takana of  'Vaad arba artzos' (of which the only rabbonim I know of who tell people it is Halacha are conveniently also profiting from charging poor bnei torah for it) than you care about תורת משה.

This is why the Ran said in his Vidduy אֵת אֲשֶׁר הֵקַלְתָּ הֶחֱמַרְתִּי, וַאֲשֶׁר הֶחֱמַרְתָּ הֵקַלְתִּי.

ETA - I read it again and I am just mind boggled. עד אחד נאמן באיסורים is 'a kula' but a (long forgotten) takana of 'Vaad arba artzos' is יהרג ואל יעבור...
Just jumping on this for now. I will IY"H try to post Rabbi Berkovit's exact words later.
Rabbi Berkovits is one of those who 'has respect for' VAA. In response, he opened up a COST-PRICE home hechsher so that those who follow him can afford to have a home hechsher and still earn a living. So, at least one example where you are not correct. (Off-hand, I know of at least five home-businesses that started under his hechsher and eventually became big enough to get Eida.)
The VAA is a long forgotten takana!? Yehoreg v'al yaavor!?  :o
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: January 31, 2024, 07:12:16 AM »
In your zealousness to find chumros and issurim you are literally knocking and belittling the Torah itself, דברי אלוקים חיים. It sounds like you have more respect for a takana of  'Vaad arba artzos' (of which the only rabbonim I know of who tell people it is Halacha are conveniently also profiting from charging poor bnei torah for it) than you care about תורת משה.

This is why the Ran said in his Vidduy אֵת אֲשֶׁר הֵקַלְתָּ הֶחֱמַרְתִּי, וַאֲשֶׁר הֶחֱמַרְתָּ הֵקַלְתִּי.

ETA - I read it again and I am just mind boggled. עד אחד נאמן באיסורים is 'a kula' but a (long forgotten) takana of 'Vaad arba artzos' is יהרג ואל יעבור...
talk about jumping to conclusion and spewing nonsense....we also have vidui for that.
How many local vaadim provide at cost or kashrus at a loss.
I know we we and others who do.
Apparently Rabbis are supposed live off nothing.... Why pay shul Rabbis, why pay a rav hamachshir? They owe you their lives those greedy mamzeirim living the high life off our backs......this is the nonsense we hear from the likes of Barry dolinger but apparently from long time DDF members as well

I read it again and I am just mind boggled.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: January 31, 2024, 08:04:06 AM »
I think even Reb Reuven wouldn't eat Cupk or ikc. But there's a huge widespread difference between that and not trusting that matzoh someone gave you is kosher.
Assuming there aren't specific brands that you don't eat there is little to be concerned about if someone gives you matza. But for a product that is more sensitive and you have certain standards, it makes no sense to drop them just bec someone else is giving it to you. Unless you have good reason to assume he knows and is capable of meeting it.