Topic Wiki

I figured that even this thread can have a wiki.
If your computer or phone is giving you issues:

• Please read this before posting: 4 Reasons Why IT People Ignore Your Requests for Help
• Restart the computer. Hopefully this will take care of any issues
• If your problem has not yet been solved, try to Google it. There may be a very simple solution
• On a Windows computer, a system restore may do the trick.
(This is a work in progress, please feel free to add whatever you may feel is helpful)

Please post whether or not the problem was fixed

Apple iPhone Master Thread
« Last edited by Thingywingy on May 07, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread  (Read 1000872 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Troubleshooting/Help Master Thread
« Reply #6040 on: February 01, 2023, 11:06:35 AM »
I suppose you are relying on ebay to back you up in case it is not genuine. If the laptop is old enough, the manufacturer might get rid of most their stock, which would get bought up by dedicated battery sellers. But I have no idea.

(When my battery goes, I tend to buy a new computer and sell off the old one to someone who would buy it. Then they get to deal with the replacement battery... Of course, that would depend on how old your laptop is and what a replacement would cost.)
That and Seller has 30 day returns, seller pays for return shipping Dell still sells the battery (for $129 + $15 shipping), so does not seem like they are liquidations.

I would say they are counterfeits much quicker than they are liquidations. But if it works it works.
Even if the serial number shows up in Dell's system?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:10:14 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #6041 on: February 01, 2023, 11:23:42 AM »
That and Seller has 30 day returns, seller pays for return shipping Dell still sells the battery (for $129 + $15 shipping), so does not seem like they are liquidations.
Even if the serial number shows up in Dell's system?
Seems good enough to be worth the risk.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: February 01, 2023, 11:42:09 AM »
Was completely offline yesterday... So I'll try to address each of the above comments. (Full disclosure: I am not a PC repairman. My gemach is focused on purchases and component upgrades, primarily laptops. However, I do read about ten computer magazines as well as technology articles. My answers here are based on several articles about batteries and laptop power usage.)

Don't use a battery that has started to expand. Assuming your power cable plugs in well and is not in danger of being pulled out by a passing kid or the like, it is better to do that instead of using the computer with the battery inside - it stands to damage your components if it leaks (even without the possible fire hazard).

So far as a new battery is concerned, generic batteries lack the efficiency of the brand, but this usually translates into less time per charge and an earlier drop to dead than the original. I would think it depends on how often you use the entire charge (as opposed to the occasional two hours off the plug) and how much extra you would need to pay. Not sure where to buy replacements if you go generic, but buy somewhere with great customer service so you can get a replacement hassle free if you get a dud.

The battery doesn't expand because of overcharging unless something went wrong. You can totally use your laptop plugged in always - it is powered directly from the AC. Most laptops that I use have a setting to charge only to 80% enabled, which is a good idea if you rarely use the battery but helps only for how long the battery lasts before it dies completely (which is based on the number of charge cycles used). I let one of my laptops charge to 100% because I often need all of the battery power on that one. You save some stress on the battery by not doing this, but so far as that one is concerned, the tradeoff isn't worth it for me. It isn't the end of the world to let it charge completely.

As MG said, you can take the battery out - but only if you don't run the risk of suddenly losing power. If you would suddenly lose power, you may corrupt the data on your drives. You certainly would lose your work if you haven't saved it (or autosaved it).
Are you saying the chances of the battery expanding doesn't have at all to do with how much charge the battery has?

ETA
It seems like it does a bit.
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_with_a_swollen_battery
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #6043 on: February 01, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
Are you saying the chances of the battery expanding doesn't have at all to do with how much charge the battery has?

ETA
It seems like it does a bit.
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_with_a_swollen_battery
It does indeed.
What I was saying that under normal circumstances, using a laptop with a full battery is not supposed to overcharge it at all. If it did, something went wrong.
In a laptop, it is more likely that the swelling occurred for other reasons.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: February 01, 2023, 11:48:43 AM »
It does indeed.
What I was saying that under normal circumstances, using a laptop with a full battery is not supposed to overcharge it at all. If it did, something went wrong.
In a laptop, it is more likely that the swelling occurred for other reasons.
Gotcha, agreed
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #6045 on: February 01, 2023, 11:50:50 AM »
My sense from googling is that it does not overcharge in the sense of continuing to charge even after being full because the system is set to stop charging when full.

I think everyone agrees that the more you cycle through a battery, the more degradation and chance of expanding. Although it seems that heat is the primary factor and repeated use with good cooling/ventilation may prevent expansion, even if it cannot prevent degradation.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: February 01, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
My sense from googling is that it does not overcharge in the sense of continuing to charge even after being full because the system is set to stop charging when full.

I think everyone agrees that the more you cycle through a battery, the more degradation and chance of expanding. Although it seems that heat is the primary factor and repeated use with good cooling/ventilation may prevent expansion, even if it cannot prevent degradation.
Alot about batteries:

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: February 01, 2023, 07:19:52 PM »
I just searched the serial number in the photo of two of these sellers on Dell's site and don't get any results. Does that mean these batteries are fakes even though they have the Dell logo and look identical?

Offline MSach

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: February 02, 2023, 12:25:08 AM »
I've never spent the time to track serial numbers thru Dell but all these sellers on eBay claiming to sell OEM batteries are counterfeit. Classic case of being to good to be true...

Usually the best way to tell is by very carefully comparing to the one you know is real. Often the spacing and spelling will be at least a little off on the fake one. (obviously only useful if you're holding the real one.)

I have bought aftermarket batteries on eBay or Amazon that worked well enough for me or others to be happy with them. I would not spend any more to get one that says Dell when I know it to be fake, I'm also less comfortable supporting such a seller in general...

If you're insisting on OEM try searching for used and then read the listing for details.

The problem with eBay vs Amazon is that you don't get reviews on the actual product. Doesn't tell me much that he sold 73 of them if nobody was happy. General Seller reviews are much less useful than product reviews. Obviously with a big enough price difference and a normal return policy it can be worth it anyway.

It always amazes me how these 2 supposedly upstanding selling platforms brazenly sell so much counterfeit junk. (Look into counterfeit car parts like spark plugs etc. It's getting pretty hard to track down real ones, and there is a massive difference in quality there.)

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #6049 on: February 26, 2023, 11:57:08 AM »
over the past few weeks I keep on getting this error multiple times per day

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: February 26, 2023, 12:40:54 PM »
over the past few weeks I keep on getting this error multiple times per day

When do you get this message, when trying to do what to the file?

Any updates or new applications installed recently somewhat before this started?

Do you have the preview pane enabled in Windows explorer?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: February 26, 2023, 07:24:12 PM »
What would be the difference? I'd assume either moving or deleting
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: February 26, 2023, 08:28:16 PM »
What would be the difference? I'd assume either moving or deleting
I'd assume so as well, but a lot of online chatter about this error was specifically about editing some file properties, so I wanted to get some more info that might shed some light.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: February 26, 2023, 09:14:52 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 13 (9380), which is connected to the power adapter most of the time. I configured the Custom option in the Dell Power Manager utility to 70% and 80% for the start and stop levels to extend the battery's life. Instead of following the custom setting, the battery increases to 80%, and does not at all fall below. Any clue why its not working?

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: February 26, 2023, 11:14:30 PM »

Any updates or new applications installed recently somewhat before this started?

Do you have the preview pane enabled in Windows explorer?

Delete

dont know (no log)

no

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: February 26, 2023, 11:46:08 PM »
Delete

dont know (no log)

no
Do you know approximately when it started? Check Control Panel > Programs (sorted by install date) and Windows Update history for anything right before that.

Which version of Windows do you have? Look in Settings > System > About, or open Run (Windows+R) and enter winver and press okay, and check the version number.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: February 26, 2023, 11:56:47 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 13 (9380), which is connected to the power adapter most of the time. I configured the Custom option in the Dell Power Manager utility to 70% and 80% for the start and stop levels to extend the battery's life. Instead of following the custom setting, the battery increases to 80%, and does not at all fall below. Any clue why its not working?
Which option did you use? Maybe a screenshot. None of the options here sound like what you're describing https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000177768/guide-to-dell-power-manager

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: February 27, 2023, 02:36:25 AM »

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: February 27, 2023, 05:18:42 AM »
Thanks @Yisroel Tech!

👍

Is that setting meant that it should keep on charging and discharging from 70% to 80% the whole time while you're plugged in (when it reaches 80% it should switch to battery power until it falls to 70%, which sounds to be like what you're expecting)? That'd sound counterintuitive to me by using up the the battery.

What the setting is probably about is that one it reaches 80% it switches the laptop to use exclusively AC power directly (so battery isn't used) until the battery falls to 70% from self discharge (without the laptop using the battery) which doesn't happen very quickly (when you fill you laptop to 100% and shut it off, how long does it take sitting closed like that to lose 10% of its charge? Very long.)

Also one thing more, when you unplug it and use it a bit on battery (so it goes down) until it reaches 79-71% and you plug it back in, does it then charge up to 80%? I'd assume it doesn't, since it's not below 70% yet.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:37:12 AM by Yisroel Tech »

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: February 27, 2023, 01:33:17 PM »
Do you know approximately when it started? Check Control Panel > Programs (sorted by install date) and Windows Update history for anything right before that.

Which version of Windows do you have? Look in Settings > System > About, or open Run (Windows+R) and enter winver and press okay, and check the version number.

dont know, didnt install any programs recently

ver 21H2 19044.2604