Topic Wiki

I created an account to say this

I am a survivor of abuse

I tried to type up a longer, more detailed post but it got too hard. The bottom line is the following

There's no such thing as universal feelings, reactions, desires, needs that all victims share. Each one is an individual who suffered alone and carries the unique scars that stay with them and each one will react to future situations in life in their own way.

Therefore, there is no single response to abuse that will leave all victims feeling safe, secure, validated, supported, closure and everything else all the well meaning people here want to give them.

However, I think there is a single response that would leave all victims feeling further pain and trauma and that is "It can't be."

Rabbi Shimon Russell - How to Safeguard and Protect our Children

https://youtu.be/fefqSvXf0JI

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 12, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »

Author Topic: Chaim Walder dies  (Read 130617 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Chaim Walder dies
« Reply #560 on: December 30, 2021, 04:04:22 PM »
A Rabbi in the dati leumi community in Israel.
Is R’ Eliyahu aware of this ?

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 30, 2021, 04:05:09 PM »

As PG said upthread, had the issue been Shabbos and not married women, would those who knew remained silent? What if it had been married men? I'd wager anything he'd have been blacklisted with extreme prejudice.
Honestly, when things are a קול, never proven in public, and it's about someone so powerful, I don't think it matters what it's about. Shabbos is a weird one, that's a very weird scenario that has never happened, but if it was with men I don't think it would have been any different. It take alot to get blacklisted in that position.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 30, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
Idk if people knew about his deeds with minors, the issues with married women were well known (not sure to what degree, people knew to say keep away from him).
Well known to who?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 30, 2021, 04:10:26 PM »
Is R’ Eliyahu aware of this ?
He was very involved in dealing with that affair. People have a way of letting some time go by and then pulling out all the old stupid sayings of "he is a very warm person" "they were just trying to take him down". There's some place where rational people's understanding of irrational people ends. There's a man who sat in jail for many years for the rape of a family member. He is now a Rebbe and goes on the regular Rebbe tours, raising money and giving out brachos. Many people have reservations, but noone calls this out on a public level.

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 30, 2021, 04:11:06 PM »
He was very involved in dealing with that affair. People have a way of letting some time go by and then pulling out all the old stupid sayings of "he is a very warm person" "they were just trying to take him down". There's some place where rational people's understanding of irrational people ends. There's a man who sat in jail for many years for the rape of a family member. He is now a Rebbe and goes on the regular Rebbe tours, raising money and giving out brachos. Many people have reservations, but noone calls this out on a public level.
Can we get the name?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 30, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »
Well known to who?
Part of the general public. I am very loosely associated with someone whose workplace very loosely overlaped with his, I heard from them a few years ago that the women know to stay away. The worst part of people saying well its two consenting adults is that this guy was a master manipulator and preyed on the vulnerable. Just because it might have not been clear physical rape doesn't make it into a romance.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 30, 2021, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #567 on: December 30, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
He brings out a point I was wondering about. In what capacity did he have patients? Was he a social worker? Psychologist? Something else? An untrained "mentor"? He seems to say it was the last. Is that the case?

I saw that questioned/raised somewhere in the past week or so (probably somewhere in the Hebrew twitterspace, or it might have even been here on DDF). Unfortunately, it seems to be commonplace in our communities to trust various people for counseling, where they don't have any accredited credentials or training.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 30, 2021, 04:32:34 PM »
Part of the general public. I am very loosely associated with someone whose workplace very loosely overlaped with his, I heard from them a few years ago that the women know to stay away. The worst part of people saying well its two consenting adults is that this guy was a master manipulator and preyed on the vulnerable. Just because it might have not been clear physical rape doesn't make it into a romance.
Are the episodes with the young girls from before that was known or are they recent cases? I cannot believe a parent or Rav or educator who knew that he had issues with married women would send a young girl to him.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 30, 2021, 04:33:58 PM »

Are the episodes with the young girls from before that was known or are they recent cases? I cannot believe a parent or Rav or educator who knew that he had issues with married women would send a young girl to him.

I don't know from when. I hope your right.

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #571 on: December 30, 2021, 04:45:46 PM »

Yet he was employed by the Bnei Brak municipality to work with children

I saw that questioned/raised somewhere in the past week or so (probably somewhere in the Hebrew twitterspace, or it might have even been here on DDF). Unfortunately, it seems to be commonplace in our communities to trust various people for counseling, where they don't have any accredited credentials or training.

I would have thought it to be more the people whose main source of medical info is the health food store and not set up by the municipality.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 30, 2021, 05:27:07 PM »
Interesting Prospective
https://nefesh.org/YitziHorowitz/vilifying-chaim-walder.html
Interesting, but a very dark road to go down, and now isn't necessarily the time for that discussion.
I was actually somewhat thinking about this before reading this article, and it's something I have thought about in the past but more specifically after I watched the long video from Rabbi Russell. After watching his video I understood that the overwhelming majority of abuse does not come from bad people.

As Rabbi Russell said, originally, when counseling abuse victims he would refer to the perpetrator as the bad person, but at some point he realized that a lot of victims would close up when that happened because 30% of victims had already abused others. Eventually he changed to referring to it in terms of responsibility so whatever happened until now is not your fault, but now that you are in therapy you are responsible for whatever happens going forward.

Without accepting the perpetrators are human beings, they are forced to hide whatever happened and make believe it never happened. It's entirely possible that all (or almost all) of CWs victims could have been saved if he would have gotten the help he needed. By vilifying it he was forced to "toughen up" and deal with it alone.

Finally, as I heard from R' Gershon Weiss, he was once talking to R' Moshe Feinstein about a bachur who was a kleptomaniac, every time he referred to it as a machla R' Moshe corrected him and said Yetzer Horah. I think the same applies here, I don't think these people are evil or sick (what they do is sick), they have a yetzer hara and left unchecked it evolves into something evil.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 05:38:51 PM by avromie7 »
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 30, 2021, 05:31:24 PM »
The Yeted article stated ז״ל not זצ״ל.

Also very important to note, if you read Rav Eliyahu psak carefully you will note that they didn’t hear testimony FROM 22 victims, only ABOUT 22 victims.

Read it better. He heard testimony from 22 witnesses, which included several victims.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dawie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 30, 2021, 05:50:07 PM »
Rabbi Shraga Feivel Zimmerman Speaking Out Against Abuse
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=173791

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2021, 06:07:13 PM »
I was actually somewhat thinking about this before reading this article, and it's something I have thought about in the past but more specifically after I watched the long video from Rabbi Russell. After watching his video I understood that the overwhelming majority of abuse does not come from bad people.

As Rabbi Russell said, originally, when counseling abuse victims he would refer to the perpetrator as the bad person, but at some point he realized that a lot of victims would close up when that happened because 30% of victims had already abused others. Eventually he changed to referring to it in terms of responsibility so whatever happened until now is not your fault, but now that you are in therapy you are responsible for whatever happens going forward.

Without accepting the perpetrators are human beings, they are forced to hide whatever happened and make believe it never happened. It's entirely possible that all (or almost all) of CWs victims could have been saved if he would have gotten the help he needed. By vilifying it he was forced to "toughen up" and deal with it alone.

Finally, as I heard from R' Gershon Weiss, he was once talking to R' Moshe Feinstein about a bachur who was a kleptomaniac, every time he referred to it as a machla R' Moshe corrected him and said Yetzer Horah. I think the same applies here, I don't think these people are evil or sick (what they do is sick), they have a yetzer hara and left unchecked it evolves into something evil.

Abusers are human beings too, but humanizing them too much is dangerous as it can be interpreted by their/other survivors of abuse as defending them or somehow rationalizing how they got to where they did, or worse yet what they did. Especially since Russell is doing it with an individual in therapy, and you’re broadcasting it on a public forum.

The topic here (as well as kleptomania) is a Machla, so let’s please call a spade a spade. Every sin is insanity in a sense: אין אדם עובר עבירה אלא אם כן נכנס בו רוח שטות. At the same time, they can’t just “plead insanity” and no longer be accountable.

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 30, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile