Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1240200 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #5360 on: January 07, 2024, 11:29:54 PM »
That's not how jokes work.
BMG coffee room centric joke. Anything and everything is ltoeles harabim, especially when it's self serving ;)

Offline DaasTora

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #5361 on: January 07, 2024, 11:32:17 PM »
BMG coffee room centric joke. Anything and everything is ltoeles harabim, especially when it's self serving ;)
Average Lakewood family is a nice “rabim”….

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: January 07, 2024, 11:58:30 PM »
Just bumped into this thread, pet peeve of mine. The kind of sleazy ads the frum community is subjected to everywhere. Unbelievable what has happened to the עם חכם ונבון. >:(

From the mushrooming of *courses* on options trading, marriage, health and whatnot, to the עין הרע extinguishers, to the cc signups and farms, to heal-everything drops and everything in-between. The common theme is that the one and only expense these scam businesses have is paying for advertainments, benefitting the publications while annoying the readership and listeners to the core.

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: January 08, 2024, 04:19:25 AM »
It's fitting, 'Gemach' Chasdei Yosef started with this "cultural appropriation", and a non-zero amount of these referees will likely end up there
Major pet peeve of mine (I am biased though). Calling yourself a gemach to one group of people and a business to another when you charge the same rates.
Also none of those rates are anything near cheesed

https://gemachcy.com/
https://crcounselinggroup.com/

Same company as can be seen on the bottom of the webpage

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #5364 on: January 08, 2024, 07:58:06 AM »
Doesn't gemach just mean "rental" now?

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: January 08, 2024, 09:27:37 AM »
As far as I can tell neither of them are fraudsters or inherently dishonest people. Hope they stay that way.
They are telling people that they are “ volunteers” when they are being highly compensated.

Who are you fooling?

Why don’t they have the standard required Affilate disclosure on their website?

They are specifically targeting people they don’t have regular access to credit card offers like these.

Offline gutlib

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: January 08, 2024, 09:42:07 AM »
Doesn't gemach just mean "rental" now?
NO, in Israel it means: it's more expensive.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #5367 on: January 08, 2024, 10:39:33 AM »
Let’s be honest, many of us have done this in some small scale

No. We haven't. I've answered people who be contacted me, but I have never marketed, even on a personal WhatsApp status or the like, let alone paid thousands of dollars to advertise in magazines, buy contact lists and set up robo calls etc.

I have made a website as joke though, I didn't even shell out the couple of bucks it would take to buy the domain.

No one is "inherently" a fraudster. This is not fraud in that there is no stealing money, but there are lies and deception for personal gain with no regard for the harm that might befall their "customers". That's pretty darn close.

Online Young explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: January 08, 2024, 10:55:51 AM »

Offline dealmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: January 08, 2024, 12:52:09 PM »
Major pet peeve of mine (I am biased though). Calling yourself a gemach to one group of people and a business to another when you charge the same rates.
Also none of those rates are anything near cheesed

https://gemachcy.com/
https://crcounselinggroup.com/

Same company as can be seen on the bottom of the webpage
I honestly have no idea, as bh I never needed such a service, but perhaps the "gemach" charges a lower fee than the other company(or lower than industry standard)? Again I have no personal knowledge but this MAY be a legitimate thing
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: January 08, 2024, 01:17:49 PM »
lets not start with israeli 'gemachim' which are huge unregulated money markets.
I honestly have no idea, as bh I never needed such a service, but perhaps the "gemach" charges a lower fee than the other company(or lower than industry standard)? Again I have no personal knowledge but this MAY be a legitimate thing

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: January 08, 2024, 03:56:07 PM »
How do you sell this to people: "if you use my link you'll earn $1500, but there's another link out there which you'll earn $1800"?

Guess that's why you're in sales, and I'm not ;)

DD doesnt inform people of higher offers available elsewhere

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: January 08, 2024, 04:08:08 PM »
Yup not even for deals see here.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=118610.msg2367924#msg2367924
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: January 08, 2024, 06:48:26 PM »
Big difference.

Offline zalman2bis

• View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: January 08, 2024, 10:30:52 PM »
Like this one (long expired):
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=125574.msg2526914#msg2526914

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #5375 on: January 08, 2024, 11:20:09 PM »
No. We haven't.
I wasn’t talking about advertising, I said referring people to credit cards. I said many of us do, and you personally not having done so is obviously irrelevant. Are you honestly going to say you don’t think many people on this thread have earned oodles of points off referrals on Ink cards this past year alone?

There are two points here being made, the deception and the credit card trap. The deception is something I’m against, I agree it’s highly misleading, perhaps even illegal.

As for the potential pitfalls of credit cards, yes people are negatively affected but they’re no worse than any credit card affiliate online (ahem). It’s hard to say they’re evil just because they’re getting people to sign up for credit cards, EVEN if you believe credit cards are the root of all evil.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #5376 on: January 08, 2024, 11:23:03 PM »
I wasn’t talking about advertising, I said referring people to credit cards.

"Putting aside the issue everyone was talking about, we've all done the same thing."

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #5377 on: January 08, 2024, 11:24:04 PM »
No one is "inherently" a fraudster.

There are plenty of people who are dishonest. Like, they would straight up lie. Like I said I know these guys and I believe they are honest as in they wouldn’t lie. You’re right that this is deceptive but they probably justify it in their heads and perhaps even tell you about their compensation once you call.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #5378 on: January 08, 2024, 11:26:12 PM »
"Putting aside the issue everyone was talking about, we've all done the same thing."
This is uncharacteristic of you. I wrote a few paragraphs, in that particular paragraph I was addressing the point that you brought up about referring novices to credit cards. Whatever your feelings on that issue are, and I’m sure they are valid (I’ve seen your posts on this topic and they have influenced the way I think about credit cards) it’s disingenuous to pretend many here don’t refer people to the game constantly.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #5379 on: January 08, 2024, 11:29:10 PM »
This is uncharacteristic of you. I wrote a few paragraphs, in that particular paragraph I was addressing the point that you brought up about referring novices to credit cards. Whatever your feelings on that issue are, and I’m sure they are valid (I’ve seen your posts on this topic and they have influenced the way I think about credit cards) it’s disingenuous to pretend many here don’t refer people to the game constantly.
I've referred people myself. No one takes issue with referrals. It's the deception and purposefully targeting people ignorant of the topic. No, we haven't all done that on any scale